cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI options for description(s)

I have been trying and using the AI option for the last 10 or so entries. It is a little "hokey" and tends to over sell the item, but with cut and delete and paste with more pertinent data, it seems to be ok. Now if eBay would do away with the super many option boxes to click, change or ignore, (some not related to the actual item) it would much easier to use.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: AI options for description(s)

@from_me_2_you wrote:

I have been trying and using the AI option for the last 10 or so entries. It is a little "hokey" and tends to over sell the item, but with cut and delete and paste with more pertinent data, it seems to be ok. Now if eBay would do away with the super many option boxes to click, change or ignore, (some not related to the actual item) it would much easier to use.

Oh look - a shiny new toy!

In the time it takes you to "cut and delete and paste with more pertinent data" couldn't you just write your own text?

The problem with AI is the "I" - i.e. Intelligence. An intelligent person/thing can write an accurate description of an item but if it is only filled with technical data it will be boring and unsatisfactory, as you seem to have figured out on your own.

If you are going to sell a product you need to introduce whimsy, charm, flair, panache - you know all of the things AI is missing.

This is a response I got directly from an AI sessions regarding AI itself.

"Repeatedly using AI to write product descriptions can have an impact on a writer's communication skills. While AI can generate coherent and contextually relevant text, it is important to note that it is still an automated system and may not capture the nuances and creativity that human writers possess. Relying solely on AI for writing can potentially limit a writer's ability to develop their own unique writing style, adapt to different audiences, and exercise critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is advisable for writers to strike a balance between utilizing AI tools and actively practicing and honing their own communication skills to maintain a well-rounded approach."

When someone/something downplays their own skills you ought to listen.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

And when I was young, I had to walk 10 miles each way to and from school everyday, with bare feet, in the snow, uphill both ways.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I think it's like many online tools and features: useful for some, not so useful for others. As to ebay doing away with the item specifics, they've actually been reducing the number they show you, but keep in mind, the AI you like is largely drawing its information from the Item Specifics. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@hartungcards wrote:

And when I was young, I had to walk 10 miles each way to and from school everyday, with bare feet, in the snow, uphill both ways.

I recognize the joke but I am at a loss to understand what it has to do with what I wrote.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply