cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A refunded $300 laptop was delivered, buyer ignores my messages

After a great ordeal I have obtained proof from a Freight Forwarder in Florida that a refunded laptop has been delivered to the buyer on July 3. This is a matter that I tried resolving through multiple means daily (package intercept, search, hold, etc) to no avail as both USPS and Aeropost were slow in finding the laptop. I have contacted the buyer but so far he has not responded to my recent messages on returning or paying for the purchase through Pay Pal. I asked Ebay to intervene in this matter even though the usual time period of appeal passed but the first person attempting to help me instead wrote to me in Spanish how it was important to ensure that items arrive on time to avoid claims, as if I had any control over USPS logistics. The refunded item has been confirmed to be in the buyer's hands and may well keep it without paying. Does Ebay not provide protection from this? Where's the help?

Message 1 of 153
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Let me get this straight.

The buyer filed a INR (item not received) case because the item was taking too long.

The buyer won the case and was refunded because the tracking did not show the item was delivered yet,

After the refund the buyer received the item.

-------------------------------------------------

If that's what happened, ebay will not "take back" the refund.

The buyer is not required to pay you back OR send the item back.

Hopefully the buyer is honest and will do the right thing.

Do your best to work with the buyer.

Good luck.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 153
latest reply
152 REPLIES 152

@christianmorill0 wrote:

After a great ordeal I have obtained proof from a Freight Forwarder in Florida that a refunded laptop has been delivered to the buyer on July 3.

I asked Ebay to intervene in this matter even though the usual time period of appeal passed but the first person attempting to help me instead wrote to me in Spanish how it was important to ensure that items arrive on time to avoid claims, as if I had any control over USPS logistics.

The refunded item has been confirmed to be in the buyer's hands and may well keep it without paying. Does Ebay not provide protection from this? Where's the help?

You never needed to pursue tracking showing Delivered beyond the delivery to the Freight Forwarder

-- to discover the final delivery by the Freight Forwarder to their customer  on July  3

-- is not your concern and should not have involved you.

But if that original delivery to the Freight Forwarder did not complete by the estimated delivery date

-- and an Item Not Received case as opened, decided, and refunded* to the buyer

-- you have to pursue repayment directly with the buyer.

*There's no protection from eBay after that happens.

Message 2 of 153
latest reply

Let me get this straight.

The buyer filed a INR (item not received) case because the item was taking too long.

The buyer won the case and was refunded because the tracking did not show the item was delivered yet,

After the refund the buyer received the item.

-------------------------------------------------

Good luck.

Message 3 of 153
latest reply

Piece of advice in the future.... NEVER REFUND WITHOUT A CASE... on top of that.. if you discover the buyer used a 3rd party shipper.. they void their buyer protections and aren't entitled to a refund of any kind.. their issue is with that 3rd party.. not you.

Message 4 of 153
latest reply

@inhawaii you provided misinformation here.. if this occurs within 30 days of a closed case you can appeal the case and although the buyer won't have to refund the refund.. ebay will cover the cost at their expense. The seller will get their money back.

Message 5 of 153
latest reply

It sure is my concern to know the location of the package as I was trying to retrieve it. Yes, it passed original delivery date by over a week so the refund was given, only bothered with the fact that after it was stealth delivered,  buyer went silent (we sent messages to each other prior to this). I first had to wait for expected package pickup by Aeropost (5 business days) before I could submit a search case, then another 5 for "searching" before update is given just to hear this tuesday that it was delivered 2 weeks ago.

Dissappointed that Ebay doesn't protect people from "refunded items received then held" scenarios.

Message 6 of 153
latest reply

He opened the case for refund, we spoke but he prefered to be refunded as it passed the 15 day period. Understandable but shouldn't go on to then keep the item after delivery free of charge.

Message 7 of 153
latest reply

@christianmorill0 you may have learned a very expensive lesson here.. in the future if you discover the buyer is using a freight forwarder (3rd party shipper)... they aren't entitled to any form of refund. All you would have had to do is wait the 3-4 days ebay calls the "make good period" then call in and ask a representative to close the case because of the following violation of the ebay money back guarantee program... 

imac7065_0-1689927881795.png

Source: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 8 of 153
latest reply

30 days... Despite daily efforts it was after that period I received a delivery confirmation 😞

Message 9 of 153
latest reply

I see, my mistake for not seeing this piece of information.

Message 10 of 153
latest reply

@imac7065 wrote:

@inhawaii you provided misinformation here.. if this occurs within 30 days of a closed case you can appeal the case and although the buyer won't have to refund the refund.. ebay will cover the cost at their expense. The seller will get their money back.

Which part of my post was incorrect?

Good luck.

Message 11 of 153
latest reply

@christianmorill0 again.. I'm not sure I am explaining this well enough for you to understand.. you didn't need to confirm delivery to anyone. The buyer made a choice to use a 3rd party shipper... this was their choice. As such, they VOIDED their right to any protection. You made a massive mistake not knowing this as you would have never lost any case.. in fact.. if you call ebay now and point out this rule.. they should help you.. even this much later. The buyer violated the ToS of ebay.. you did not.

Message 12 of 153
latest reply

So you are saying your tracking didnt show up delivered to the freight forwarder for all that time ? After estimated delivery and after INR opened, and 30 days after a decision?

Seems odd.

Message 13 of 153
latest reply

@inhawaii the misinformation is that assuming you are within the appeal window (this person is saying they are not) you can reverse the outcome of a case with confirmed delivery.... this specific case is different for many reasons.. but I am speaking generally...

IE ... item shows not delivered for 3 weeks.. buyer opens case, buyer wins case... a week later tracking updates and delivery is confirmed... seller can then contact ebay, show the confirmed tracking, and appeal the case. Ebay cannot take the refund away from the buyer for legal reasons, but in cases such as this, ebay themselves cover the cost to the seller, making them whole. As a high volume seller, I definitively know the seller 100% can reverse the outcome of the case. I have many times.

Message 14 of 153
latest reply

Sorry, misread. I understood a few moments ago the 3rd party violation.

Message 15 of 153
latest reply