cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A buyer’s request; appropriate or not

A potential buyer wants me to change my listing and add “buy it now” so they can get my item now for a particular price. I told them no, since I already had another bidder. Eventually they became the high bidder, but I’m still not sure it’s ethical. Plus, it may actually go higher before bidding closes. Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: A buyer’s request; appropriate or not

@plumbingspecialswrote:

No. Do not let buyers tell you how to run your listings. Never.
I had a guy contact me yesterday because his offer was auto-declined. I obliged him once and sent an offer that I would accept. He then argued with me, "I told you what my budget was for this item, I cannot pay what you are asking, that's only 9% off!" (It was actually ten percent off, but whatever...) It's my product and I'm not going to go below what I will accept, I think 10% and free shipping is not a bad deal. His budget concerns are not my problem. Should I take less in commission because he has a budget? Flabbergasted by the audacity. But I digress...
Today, he asked me why I blocked him. Well, derrrrrrr.

I usually answer all offers ASAP but I’m sitting on one right now because it’s less than 1/3 of my listed price & the item has free shipping. $10 on a $35 item. I don’t expect or want to get $35 but I won’t take $10 either. I don’t want to counter & I don’t want the “buyer” to make more offers so I’m letting it expire. Do you know they get 6 offer tries now? 

I accepted several reasonable offers this week already.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@mg152
In a normal circumstance, I would have just let him counter offer (yeah six tries now is a bit much). However, because he argued and was insistent that I take lower than my auto-decline, as if he were entitled, already flagged him for potential problems. Coincidentally, it's on an item that I have had a rash of fraudulent orders lately. Just not worth the problems.
Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@muttlymobwrote:

I was responding to your statement:  "You can't add a BIN to an auction even if you remove the bid."   If the bid is removed, then I feel sure it could be added.

Unless things have changed, the features that disappear when a bid is placed do not come back when the bid is retracted or canceled.  The BIN goes away (in most categories) when a bid is placed.  Not just when a bid is active.

You folks are talking about two different things.

1) If an auction was set up with a BIN, and the BIN was removed after a bid was placed, the BIN can be brought back by canceling all bids.

2) (the OP's case) If the auction was set up WITHOUT a BIN, and if a bid has been made, a BIN can't be added, even if all bids are cancelled.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Dont ever let a buyer talk you into that.  The truth is the item will go higher than they are offering most of the time anyway.  They dont care if you lose your account and thats pretty much what will end up happening.   Best regards

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

That's what I said.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tableclothwrote:

That's what I said.

Yep, it is. 

Thanks for the correction.

Message 21 of 21