cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A bid has been placed in my name that I don't want

I got an email from ebay saying that my max bid on an item was winning, with two days to go.

I did not place this bid, and DON'T want the article in question.

What shall I do?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@kmharrop 

Contact the seller of the item, and tell them that an unknown person has placed a bid in your name.  Have the seller cancel that bid.

And keep a close eye on your credit card statements for any mysterious eBay purchases.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

First I would change my password. 
You may have received a spoof email if that same notification was not in your messages. 
Next I would  go to your Bids And Offers page to see if there really is an auction you're bidding on. 
If there really is an auction you're bidding on I would ask the seller if they will cancel. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@kmharrop 

It would be better to just retract the bid, you can do that from this page:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/retracting-bid?id=4013

If you truly didn't bid on this item your account must have been compromised, change your password and check all your settings, specifically your Personal Information (name, all addresses etc) and Payment Information.

Is there anyone else with physical access to your computer (or phone) who could have placed the bid?

Are you 100% sure the message came from eBay? Lots of new phishing variations out there these days. Does the listing actually show a bid in your name?

Message 4 of 4
latest reply