cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Sale is a Binding Contract......for a Seller, at least in Arizona

https://patch.com/arizona/phoenix/ebay-buy-it-now-button-contract-judge-tells-phoenix-woman

Seller sells a diamond ring for 100,000 on ebay......

Then is contacted by another buyer who offers +$50,000 to sell it to him........which she does, telling the other buyer that.

lst buyer sues.......both of them, gets a judgement for $60,000 against 2nd buyer and $135,000 against the seller.  State Court of Appeals upholds the judgement. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

@dhbookds

It's on the interweb, it must be true.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Well, it's hit a few news websites now, but the one you provided isn't one I'd believe.  "A Phoenix woman solder [sic] 10 carat diamond ring an [sic] then backed out."  " In a warning to eBay users, a judge has ruled that the popular "Buy It Now" button is a contact [sic]."

Two of the first three sentences have glaring errors.  I stopped reading after that.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

sorry the article isn't up to standard, Lint.

There is a link in the article to the judgement............that was good enough for me.........

When Evangelos Armiros clicked the button, he and Rohr entered into a contract, the court said.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Had the sale gone thru on ebay and a return request gets filed, the buyer will probably just send back a "rock" 😛

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

I read the entire court transcript and it was a tangled affair, with the seller caught in many lies. She under-priced her diamond and got greedy when someone offered more. The buyer arranged to fly to meet her and buy it and she refused to sell it to him after all that. He even said he would match the higher offer. I can't say I sympathise with her. . I think justice knocked on her door.

Here's a more mainstream news source-

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/court-woman-must-pay-for-canceled-ebay-diamond-ring-sale

(http://www.azcourts.gov/Portals/0/OpinionFiles/Div1/2018/1%20CA-CV%2016-0755.pdf)

It was interesting reading, thanks for the story.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@lintbrush* wrote:

Well, it's hit a few news websites now, but the one you provided isn't one I'd believe. "A Phoenix woman solder [sic] 10 carat diamond ring an [sic] then backed out." "In a warning to eBay users, a judge has ruled that the popular 'Buy It Now' button is a contact [sic]."

Auto-correct is my own worst enema.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

So I read the court judgment. What I learned is 1. Weathly people have a lot of time and money to waste,   2. Wealthy people get butthurt just like poor folks,  3. Unlike butthurt poor folks, butthurt wealthy folks have the time and money to pitch a fit and tie up the legal system for four years because they didn't get what they wanted, and 4. Butthurt a wealthy person and they'll sue you.

Amiright?

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@dhbookds

@dhbookdswrote:

https://patch.com/arizona/phoenix/ebay-buy-it-now-button-contract-judge-tells-phoenix-woman

Seller sells a diamond ring for 100,000 on ebay......

Then is contacted by another buyer who offers +$50,000 to sell it to him........which she does, telling the other buyer that.

lst buyer sues.......both of them, gets a judgement for $60,000 against 2nd buyer and $135,000 against the seller.  State Court of Appeals upholds the judgement. 

That's too much to spend on a diamond, the case should have been thrown out of court ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Next the seller goes bankrupt and voids all judgements. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@southern*sweet*teawrote:

So I read the court judgment. What I learned is 1. Weathly people have a lot of time and money to waste,   2. Wealthy people get butthurt just like poor folks,  3. Unlike butthurt poor folks, butthurt wealthy folks have the time and money to pitch a fit and tie up the legal system for four years because they didn't get what they wanted, and 4. Butthurt a wealthy person and they'll sue you.

Amiright?

Probably.

But as an Arizona resident myself, an Appeals Court ruling has value to future litigants.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea

My wife walked into my room this morning.

She said you have a 5 lb bag of chocolate... empty

and 12 beer bottles... empty...

Good thing she did not look under my bed, Tracy Lords

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@a_c_greenwrote:

@lintbrush* wrote:

Well, it's hit a few news websites now, but the one you provided isn't one I'd believe. "A Phoenix woman solder [sic] 10 carat diamond ring an [sic] then backed out." "In a warning to eBay users, a judge has ruled that the popular 'Buy It Now' button is a contact [sic]."

Auto-correct is my own worst enema.

With fronds like these, who needs anemones.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

It's true. Just a warning for those who try pulling a fast one on a buyer who uses BIN.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Of course, such a ruling would set a president that could be used by sellers in Arizona against any non-paying bidder/buyer as well.

I'm not quite sure how the judge could justify the judgement against the 2nd buyer since he was not a party to any contract with the original buyer.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 15 of 25
latest reply