cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Cautionary tale

I think we are leaving Ebay, we were burned pretty badly.  We sold an expensive camera lens, the buyer claimed it was in poor condition upon receipt. It was fine when we sent it, however our proof was inconclusive, and we accepted the return and refunded the buyer, 1131.00. That does not included 25.00 in return postage. The returned lens looked like it had been dropped and broken. Our picture had some dirt in it that 'could' have been the crack in the hood. I was not happy that my husband did not document such an expensive item better, but there it is.  I did not check myself, so I had no recourse. All the other lenses and photography items we sold were in excellent condition and I trust him very much, he would not do such a thing, and even if he wasn't someone I trust he knows it wouldn't fly to try to pass off a broken lens as 'excellent'. Even so, the fault was most likely ours as we did not have conclusive proof.

That we have to take such a hit is too hard. Maybe we were being stupid. Perhaps we are not cut out for Ebay anymore, after 16 yrs. of good sales. It maybe they aren't attracting the kind of buyers that are reputable anymore. I have seen several sellers post they aren't making many sales lately, this may be a reason. Right now I don't feel very safe here. 

My caution may not be needed to you, as you may be smarter than us, however here it is:

Document, document, document. And then, document again.

In addition to the photos you post in the listing, take photos in the highest resolution you can, at every angle, and if it has moving parts, video tape. Post it to youtube so that the time is noted.  Ditto with the photos, perhaps flickr or some such so that it can be seen that it was not photoshopped. Additionally, we should have had the lens inspected by a camera shop and certified. If you can do that with your expensive items do so.

Good luck to all of you and stay safe, and for now at least, so long.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: A Cautionary tale

@trustedbasset wrote:
I do not sell high priced items so I can cover refunds. If you sell high priced items you have to always think ahead to what might happen. Return, misdelivery, broken in transit. May be it was mishandled. With priority shipping you will get insurance.

Unless you acutally BUY insurance for a higher value you only get $50 or $100 worth for free with a PM mailing - it depends on your seller status for which level of free insurance you get.

@trustedbasset wrote:
I would try to get your buyer to file a case with the PO.

Too late for that as the buyer has already returned the lens to the seller.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

the dirt wasn't a crack. And the serial number was correct, no damage to the package. How can we help but think the buyer did us wrong? He bought the lens new in 2009 and took excellent care of it. why would we try to send out a bad lens for that kind of money? No one would get away with it. It's beyond ridiculous and our reputation was stellar before that. 

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Well, that was the cautionary tale wasn't it?  Why would he send a cracked hood lens? It would be stupid. No one would accept that. I do blame Ebay and the buyer, but we had NO recourse, none. It just takes once to happen to you. 

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Hence "Better documentation" 

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

eBay buyers don't understand the meaning of terms like "good/fair/poor" when it comes to camera lenses. Professional equipment that is correctly termed "good" is usually interpreted as "poor" by your average eBayer. It sucks, but this has become a very risky place to sell high-quality camera equipment.

"Dirt" is another thing that gets me going about camera lenses on eBay. There are too many buyers here who don't know what dirt is when it comes to lenses.

Most people who actually know cameras will use KEH to grade and price gear, and since they will quote you a price without even seeing the equipment and even pay shipping, it's really a better deal to just send it straight to them.

I didn't get to see the photos in question, but I'm guessing for the price that this lens is a zoom and has one of those retracting hoods that won't separate from the body. If it's not a threaded receiver for a filter, and no pieces have broken off, then there's still nothing wrong with the lens. Or at least there wasn't until the buyer said "hey this looks broken," and then snapped it in two.

Now... I buy high-quality camera equipment on here all the time. I guess that makes me something of a hypocrite, but I know my cameras, and I wouldn't ever take advantage of a seller like that.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

Of course it 'cuts' it. I've married to one guy 33 yrs. and I'm supposed the buyers side? Some guy no knowledge of? Is that how you treat your spouse?  

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@carryabout wrote:

Of course it 'cuts' it. I've married to one guy 33 yrs. and I'm supposed the buyers side? Some guy no knowledge of? Is that how you treat your spouse?  

Of course not... but that is how eBay treats both of you. The buyer holds all the cards in situations like this, unfortunately.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply