cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd order I cancelled this week, because people can't read.

I listed an empty box for a Kitchenaid mixer, put empty box in all caps in the title. Someone bought it, $20 shipped and then sent a cancel order request 5 minutes later, because they literally thought they were getting a brand new in the box mixer (retail is $275) for $20.

I listed an actual Kitchenaid mixer and sold it, I put "read" in the title. I put in the description it is missing a few of the attachments and the motor acts up, but otherwise works ok. I get a cancel order request 3 days later stating "I wish to cancel because I read it does not work right".

What has gotten into

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: 2nd order I cancelled this week, because people can't read.

When you list an item as used it has to work as intended.

"Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used."

Your CB radio should be listed as "Parts, not working" due to the problems with it. I assume you had the mixer listed as "Used" also so therein lies the problem.

Message 2 of 52
latest reply

A lot of buyers, for some inexplicable reason, now buy first and ask questions later.  They do their buyer's due diligence after that fact, if at all.  That's backwards, and does them no good. 

Then they have to rely on a cancellation to get them out of their bad decision.  They don't know that a cancellation is simply a request, not an order, and that Ebay gives the seller three days to make the decision as to whether they will cancel or not.  Cancellations are to be rarely used, if ever.  If they get enough, that will negatively impact their buying privileges.  They don't look like a responsible buyer.

Lots of people putting the cart before the horse, or closing the barn doors after the horse got away!

Message 3 of 52
latest reply

eBay does nothing to buyers for mere cancellations.
Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 4 of 52
latest reply

Better a cancellation 5 minutes after purchase than a Not As Described case two weeks from now.

I believe the reason for the 'buy now/ think later' situation is phone shopping.

Our buyers are browsing on their mobiles, with tiny pictures  and the title. And buy because we use such attractive titles and pictures.

Then they notice the Item Specifics and, if we are lucky, are able to find the actual description, which eBay is hiding in the name of 'mobile friendly'.

We can't do anything about phone shopping. That's here to stay.

So we'll have to be creative about explaining what we really are selling and use titles and pictures (only) to do so.

Because while the rest should be there, we can't count on that being seen.

These are annoyances, not problems.

Relist. Block if you are sufficiently annoyed. Move on.

Message 5 of 52
latest reply

Oh' boy. Another empty box listing & another broken item listing that complains that buyers can't read. scream You may have less problems with buyers not reading if you stop selling empty boxes and broken items.

Message 6 of 52
latest reply

I thought listing empty product boxes was not allowed, or is that only certain high-scam brands?thinking

Message 7 of 52
latest reply

I can't understand the empty box - as that's loud and clear in your title - but as far as the mixer - you should have put with whisk only - instead of read.

Plus use the box that pops up when you select used to put nay pertinaent details in  - like the fact the sale is for the box only or that the mixer only comes with a whisk and has speed problems.

Mobile users often don't see an item's description - just had such an issue on a pair of capris - she never saw the measurments.

Message 8 of 52
latest reply

@dougsue123b wrote:

When you list an item as used it has to work as intended.

"Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used."

Your CB radio should be listed as "Parts, not working" due to the problems with it. I assume you had the mixer listed as "Used" also so therein lies the problem.

This argument again haha, perhaps there should be a condition field called used it works if you aren't a scammer or a person that has no business around electronics.

Message 9 of 52
latest reply

It's too much of a risk on ebay to list electronics that are not new or working perfectly. The 6 month snad on paypal makes that even worse. I would not list them under any conditions. The cost of a snad with postage both ways on the seller makes these items more trouble than they are worth. Sell it locally, yard sale, so that the buyer can run the machine before purchasing and make their decision knowing the issues. I used to sell vintage electronics on ebay and now...NEVER. 

Message 10 of 52
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories

eBay is not keeping track of buyer cancellations. They can have all the cancellations they want. Not only caused by the mobile issue, but in my opinion moreso by eBay offering a cheaper item once the buyer has hit the BIN. I have immediate payment on my listings, so the buyer has to pay right away. THEN they cancel and you have to go through the wasted time of refunding. And if you are a fast shipper, going through those steps to get the item back. Plus cancellation at the buyer request, seller loses .30 through PP due to no fault of the seller. Love to know how many million .30 fees PP has garnered from this eBay cheaper product system.  

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 11 of 52
latest reply

IMHO, per the new return policies (Summer Update) those type of listings will cause major problems for your selling account.  Any return going forward is auto approved and even flaws described well in the listing cannot be used as a basis to challenge the return. Return % are then being compared to category avg. Higher then average issues will mean big trouble - more then the extra $ gained by selling the items likely to cause returns (valid or bogus - no difference going forward). 

Message 12 of 52
latest reply

A lot of buyers, for some inexplicable reason, now buy first and ask questions later.  They do their buyer's due diligence after that fact, if at all.  That's backwards, and does them no good. 

Some sellers, for some inexplicable reason, list their broken items as "used" or "pre-owned" with eBay's definition of "used" clearly stated as being "fully operational and functions as intended" right there in the listing. 

Then they have to rely on a cancellation to get them out of their bad decision.  They don't know that a cancellation is simply a request, not an order, and that Ebay gives the seller three days to make the decision as to whether they will cancel or not.  Cancellations are to be rarely used, if ever.  If they get enough, that will negatively impact their buying privileges.  They don't look like a responsible buyer.

Some sellers later blame the buyer because their own listing was misleading and violated eBay policy by including contradictory information on the condition of the item.  Just as buyers should read the entire listing and question any contradictory statements before buying, sellers should not be including that info in the listing in the first place. 

Lots of people putting the cart before the horse, or closing the barn doors after the horse got away!

Would it be preferable for the buyer to report the listing for violation, rather than requesting a cancellation?

Message 13 of 52
latest reply

No disrespect intended, but what would be the purpose of anyone buying an empty Kitchenaid box?

And, actually, there are quite a few empty boxes listed, sometimes with beyond ridiculous prices.

I see this in the American Girl doll category a lot also.  

Message 14 of 52
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

It's too much of a risk on ebay to list electronics that are not new or working perfectly. The 6 month snad on paypal makes that even worse. I would not list them under any conditions. The cost of a snad with postage both ways on the seller makes these items more trouble than they are worth. Sell it locally, yard sale, so that the buyer can run the machine before purchasing and make their decision knowing the issues. I used to sell vintage electronics on ebay and now...NEVER. 

That is why many have stopped selling those types of items, It's just frustrating that we can't because of scammers.

Message 15 of 52
latest reply