cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21 day payment hold even if tracking info and positive review by buyer

So I have been selling without a problem. Got hit with the 90 day period where money is held until delivered, that hurt for a while but I just kept going. Then finally sold more than 25 items and went past the 90 day period. It was smooth sailing until today. 8 months since selling on ebay and I finally sold something I am proud of because it is a high priced item $4500 + $350 freight. The buyer pays and ebay decided to hold my payment. So I called ebay and they said "the item is a high priced risky item, so you ahve to wait 21 days even if you upload tracking and buyer leaves positive review. It is what it is." I was like FUUUUUUUUUdge. 

Anybody else experiment this? 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I don't know if it is wrong, but your items sold in the last couple months or so is 13 items, not 25.  Your FB as a seller is at 9.  

Holding money on new sellers is just what Ebay does.  Sometimes it does take a few transactions for it to catch up with a new seller, but it usually is implemented for a period of time.

When you take a break of 90+ days from selling the cycle can start all over again.  Here is some information that may help you to better understand the process.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/funds-availability.html

I hope it all works out for you.

BTW, once you meet the requirements to get your money released.  It is usually faster to actually get the money available to you by calling PP than waiting for them to clear it which could take a few days longer without the call.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Have seen it posted here many times about that happening when a sale is out of the usual, so not myself, but have read of many.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/funds-availability.html

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

There are many reasons for payment holds. In addition to new sellers, eBay may put a hold on any payment that seems risky, even if that just means an item that's priced higher than is usual for a seller, or if a seller changes categories.  But regardless of the reason for the hold, it  should be released after the tracking shows delivered.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/pending-payments?id=415...

Was the item shipped via freight? In that case, without tracking from one of eBay's recognized carriers, it still should be released 7 days after you mark the item as shipped (see the link in the previous post).

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

There are many reasons for payment holds. In addition to new sellers, eBay may put a hold on any payment that seems risky, even if that just means an item that's priced higher than is usual for a seller, or if a seller changes categories.  But regardless of the reason for the hold, it  should be released after the tracking shows delivered.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/pending-payments?id=415...

Was the item shipped via freight? In that case, without tracking from one of eBay's recognized carriers, it still should be released 7 days after you mark the item as shipped (see the link in the previous post).

Cynical, I know... but it's also time for eBay to show cash on hand and revenue gains for Q4 and I'm sure managed holds will help with that...

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Cynical, I know... but it's also time for eBay to show cash on hand and revenue gains for Q4 and I'm sure managed holds will help with that...

Funds that are on hold are held in the sellers PayPal account, PayPal has the money and they keep it in a trust account same as any cash balance in a PayPal account (this was not true in the early days of PayPal but has been for more than 15 years). There is no earnings potential for either PayPal or eBay and since eBay does not have the funds they do appear anywhere in their financial statements.

Holds on funds do only one thing and that is to reduce the risk of eBay & PayPal exposure to unfunded refunds.

Many years ago there were some discussions here that indicated that a bad credit report could trigger a hold.

Although the OP has previously sold items of relatively high value, this particular one is considerably higher and it might even be the total amount of recent sales triggered the hold not the individual item.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I've been selling here for 16 years. Never had a payment hold. The most expensive item I've ever sold was for $275.

I guarantee you if I sold a $4500 item, that payment would be held the full 21 days, because it would be an out of the ordinary occurrence for this account.

Then again, I've seen brand spankin' new sellers with zero experience that are supposed to have low selling limits sell $2000 handbags and get scammed, so who the heck really knows...

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

If you take a look at a the seller, they have very little selling experience.  Which is likely to be causing their issue until they get more experience as a seller.  I don't see anything unusual here at all.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 9
latest reply