cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2023 holiday selling season

Worst by far in 23 years, across ebay and Amazon. I am too lazy to go out and get a job for the Man so 2024 will be the year when I have to ask myself hard questions about being satisfied with the new status quo, curtailing hours to reflect part-time income (I've done that some due to my exercise program), going back to library book sales which I hate or finding non-book items to sell. I am trying to source stuff like that now. I don't see anything that will magically bring big money though. I've already sold off most of anything that I've had in the backlog that brought better money. I have much to think about. 

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

But i've heard from other sellers that ebay is dead while Amazon is on fire.

They say that ebay sucks.

Is that not true?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 59
latest reply

Don't they have fire extinguishers at Amazon?

Message 3 of 59
latest reply

In previous years Amazon was on fire in December and January (for books, I can't speak to other stuff). This year it was about 10 days. Word on the street is that most booksellers have seen a sharp erosion in sales. Could be many reasons for that. In my town the competition just seems to keep growing though when I've talked briefly to the new people their business model makes no sense (they buy tons of crap books). Maybe they won't last out 2024, I don't know. It's a lot of middle-aged men, hard to believe online book sales would support any sort of family. Very hard. It barely supports me and I'm a kept woman.

Message 4 of 59
latest reply

@keziak 

Definitely not a great Q4 here for me, and so, like you, I'm going to be spending some time working on a better approach to 2024. While I do feel there is a lot more ebay could be doing to improve sales here, I think my sales here can improve if I make some changes to how I'm doing things. 

Message 5 of 59
latest reply

It's hard to know what to do with very little information about the causes of low sales. Would using more ebay features like promotions and sales  help, or is the problem competition? In books are we entering a time when in fact many fewer people are reading and buying books? Or are they out there but there is way more competition? (I sense a theme). 

I am also looking at expanding to a new online sales site but haven't had much luck there so I'm not all that optimistic.

Message 6 of 59
latest reply

I think the main problems are:

1) Fewer and fewer people are buying physical books these days. I haven't bought one in literal years now-- I have both a Kindle and the Kindle app on my phone so I just buy the Kindle version if I want something. Kindle books don't take up any physical space AND I can have an entire library on a single small device, which is great for me because I don't have a ton of space to be keeping books that I'm only going to read once. Also, Kindle versions tend to be cheaper than physical ones, which is another plus.

2) There is just a massive, MASSIVE glut of books available. My local thrift store has huge tubs full of books priced at 5 or 10 cents each. They actually stopped accepting book donations for several months because they had too many and they couldn't sell them fast enough to get rid of them even at those prices.

3) These days libraries loan ebooks as well as physical books, so you don't even need to physically go into the library if you want to borrow something to read. That makes it that much easier for people to get their hands on the books they want to read-- they aren't stuck between having to go to the library to check it out or purchasing it for themselves.

Message 7 of 59
latest reply

ebooks have been around for years now and in all that time people predicted they would be the death of physical books. Maybe that's starting to come true now, I don't know. I can well believe massive numbers of books are online now. This could well be a major problem. I just don't know what my strategy should be going forward. I feel retirement looming but I always said I would keep my business until I physically gave out, until I was much older. Thanks to swimming I am now far less hampered by painful knees. I may end up retiring more because I can't make the business work anymore and I don't want to go work retail for a few years. 

Message 8 of 59
latest reply

@keziak "It's hard to know what to do with very little information about the causes of low sales."

I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but, for me, that's simply the wrong approach. This board proves on a daily basis that the question : "why are my sales so slow" simply leads to endless rounds of varied explanations and disagreements.

I prefer to ask:

"What can I do to increase my sales revenue?"

I think sellers will have different answers, and will try different things, Some will work for some sellers, but not for others. Some might not work at all.

As for me, I have some ideas about what I need to try. But my circumstances are likely not the same as yours, so what I should try might be of no use to you.

Message 9 of 59
latest reply

I'm at the stage of trying to plan what to try. One idea is exploring other things to sell and where to source it. Another is trying another site. In order to deal with dwindling supply, get a scanner again and go to the hated library sales. A couple of other tweaks. 

At the moment I am hoping to be in a lull due to Christmas being two days away and people with better things to do than buy books online. January may be a better test of the new status quo. 

I also have tweaks to make in the area of my health and wellness. I"m trying to view the new year as a chance to make improvements, to build on my hard work in 2023. Not just wallow in discouragement.

Message 10 of 59
latest reply

Really there is are so many factors in sales be they now or many years back that are influencers.  I think it is safe to say that all things change.  Agile venues can better adjust to change versus venues "Walled in" with formula's that once worked splendid yet decay overtime due to lack of the agility and inability to take risks due to varieties of constraints even when seeking break those walls.  The more complex and larger the business serving consumers and other businesses the more difficult it is to breakthrough based on dependencies.  A mom and pop Co-Op with 100 vendors can exercise more agility than a place such as eBay yet both are dependent on both vendor and host interests.

Not too many years  ago Business to Consumer venues thrived within many third party points of supply yet lack of agility made them fall away in the wake of more agile entities.  Over the years market shakeout left few of those who actually were able to out compete those B2C venues and now barely a handful truly viable remain.  They are the big boys on the block and now must truly deal with one another and the world has changed.  Twenty five years ago social media was somewhat a new novel concept for example and now its literally thrown a world into many many problems up to including turmoil,  something weaponized for example.

As sellers many folks have been reliant on the Internet make ends meet or better yet more and more feel the same types of lack of power as the common citizen towards say events, self-governance.  They need rely on venues to provide opportunity yet the venues that provide for it are themselves in ways becoming victim of their own creation being undermined by opportunists taking advantage of said opportunities in harmful ways.

As I'd said in another thread I envision it as eBay a boxer in a ring literally being struck from every direction.  Or perhaps a better paradigm might be a nation, its government, struck from every direction including the very citizens it serves provide for by bad actors.

I said in another thread after speaking with my ex this morning, she's politician of some order and note.  I was shocked to hear that this year Mastercard claiming 100 Billion in chargeback estimated and 60% of that they estimate as fraudulent perhaps climbing as high as 350 Billion by 2027.  Vendors here are not alone as big retail is suffering the same blows.

I've said many a time that I don't fault eBay for very much as many matter are simply external of their ability to control or impact upon.  They'd like nothing better than every single transaction to be flawless just like every single community government would like peace, prosperity and more for its citizens.

Message 11 of 59
latest reply

@keziak  Well, that's the idea. Try things, test them, find what works....for you.

By this time next year, I will likely be a multi channel seller in some form or another. But I also have things to try on ebay, and, at this point, ebay is still my main focus, despite what I see as the site's shortcomings. I also agree with you about health and wellness. I'm at an age when one of the constraints is my energy level...whether I can do much to improve that or not remains to be seen, but I am trying to make improvements there, which will carry over to the ebay business (and everything else).

Message 12 of 59
latest reply

One thing I need to do - which is  hard - is decide to work part time hours if all I am going to make is part-time income. For example after the gym I scout or come home and dive into work because.... well, it's a home business and I am surrounded by work. What I need to do is spend time lifting weights and doing Youtube videos for my balance and knees. Then try to find ways to get done what needs to be done (like the mail) more efficiently though I am already pretty much a well-oiled machine. Keeping up with listing is harder. Like  you I have limited energy. 

Anyway, I met a woman today who sells but not on Amazon and ebay. She was kind enough to discuss her sources and methods. She is able to make another venue work. I don't plan to ape her whole business but she inspired me to think  out of the box of books and media on Ebay and Amazon. But it's uncharted territory and I'm not - yes - as agile as maybe I once was.

Message 13 of 59
latest reply

People are feeding themselves on credit card debt and don't have as much money for things like books. The liquidity crisis will continue until they step in with stimuluses or Ubi which will bring in another hoorah event of massive sales for maybe a year or two and then things will get really really dark. Economic resets take time.

Message 14 of 59
latest reply

The #1 reason (IMO) for anyone having poor sales is this economy we live in right now.  Jimmy Carter times were bad with inflation, now is way worse. Media isn't hyping up how bad USA really is now, thus the lack of sales you may have.  

People just don't have money on stuff they want and are frugal on stuff they need. 

Message 15 of 59
latest reply