cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20% Fees? A discouraging number.

My new rant and ready for the scolding from the usual know it all seller.😁
I used to participate in these forums a lot but since I deal with media in a wholesale way (out there) I barely have time to list items and nonetheless come to this place to find out about the bad news, because with Ebay there's nothing good to see from but increases on this and decreasing on that. 🤐

Besides finding out about the increment of $0.21 in the media rate, I just sold an item worth $459.99 and to my dismay, again, not following the news, or seller's performance I got a $92 fee which makes it a 20% fee, more or less. 

I am sure that paying this much puts the brakes on my future sales in great numbers. I was going to list a huge ********** CD collection that is in the range of $60,000 so not knowing the specifics, again, my fault, I won't be selling it on this platform but on the outside because not only I lose 20% (fees) of the value but I will be dealing with a higher tax bracket. 

You guys take care. 

latest reply
158 REPLIES 158

Re: 20% Fees? A discouraging number.

@kabilab wrote:

Approx. six yrs. back, I could mail a DVD to San Diego first class for $1.98; yesterday, the Media Mail charge was $4.13.

It was a lot longer than 6 years ago! in January 2017 the rate for First Class Package, 4oz $2.61, 5oz $2.77 (zoned pricing was not in effect at that time for FCPS).

Message 46 of 159
latest reply

I think the confusion here is between FVF and the total fees paid.

When it comes to the profit made selling an item it's the total fees paid that count. The 13 odd percent FVF is irrelevant in this.

Message 47 of 159
latest reply

Still waiting to see that example of the 20% final value fees.  

OP has never returned or followed up with any comments and I really don't expect them to. I have seen a LOT of posts like that over the years. 

Message 48 of 159
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

Of course the S/H % they take is an eBay fee!  What else is it?  lol

You may want to go back and re-read my post as you missed the point entirely.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 49 of 159
latest reply

OP, 20% is cheap compared to the cost of selling here that some folks are paying.  For example, on a 12.35% category if someone sells something for $8 with a calculated shipping cost of $5 and 8% sales tax for that state, their total net in their pocket (adding in a 30 cent transaction fee) is $5.97.  Total percentage it cost to sell that item in a 13.35% category, thanks to the fees on shipping cost and sales tax, is 25.37%.  And it's even worse if you don't pay for a basic store.

Message 50 of 159
latest reply

Etsy.  6.5%.

Message 51 of 159
latest reply

I'd be happy at 20%.  Between ebays regular FVF, promotion standard, and promotion advanced fees we are over 30%.  That does not include any shipping costs, packaging costs, or other costs involved with selling on ebay.  Including the dishonest buyers.  Which there have been more and more of.  We've been on ebay for 21 years.

Message 52 of 159
latest reply

The MM qualified item list at USPS should be trimmed.

It costs USPS no less to transport/process/deliver a CD than it does to transport/process/deliver anything else of the same weight/dimensions.

Need to cut the losses/increase the profits.

Message 53 of 159
latest reply

OP, 20% is cheap compared to the cost of selling here that some folks are paying.  For example, on a 12.35% category if someone sells something for $8 with a calculated shipping cost of $5 and 8% sales tax for that state, their total net in their pocket (adding in a 30 cent transaction fee) is $5.97.  Total percentage it cost to sell that item in a 13.35% category, thanks to the fees on shipping cost and sales tax, is 25.37%.

Actually it's worse than what your numbers show. Just note that that selling costs represents total eBay selling costs which are spit between the eBay fees and the shipping costs. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1706051637250.png

Message 54 of 159
latest reply

Have fun selling nothing unless you promote your listings.  People complain about getting no sales.  That's why.

Message 55 of 159
latest reply

It's paid for by the buyer, until they return it.  Then you're going to pay for it.

Message 56 of 159
latest reply

You also pay FVF on the sales tax.  If you didn't know.

Message 57 of 159
latest reply

Not all methods of shipment that the Ebay shipping program allows for allow for any negotiation with Ebay regarding costs.

But you can cut costs by using the mint discounted stamps sold here on eBay.

Just avoid the booklets of Forever stamps which are almost all counterfeits.

Look for counted packets of older stamps.

The USA has not demonetized any stamps since your Civil War.

Message 58 of 159
latest reply

Or venders switch shipping companies.  If you use a shipping manager like shiprush, you get huge discounts with UPS and FedEx.  With those discounts, shipping UPS costs considerably less than USPS (even with the USPS discounts).  Shipping managers like Shiprush also get a better discount rate than eBay shipping does.  And are easier, faster, better than eBay shipping.

Message 59 of 159
latest reply

We're at 30.2 % for the last month.  That does not include any shipping costs or other costs related to fulfilling orders.  That is strictly what ebay takes.

Message 60 of 159
latest reply