cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Only 1 photo allowed with Self Hosting option. For more photos use other import options"

When did this start?  

"Only 1 photo allowed with Self Hosting option. For more photos use other import options".
This is from a regular listing that I uploaded via FE and now have to add my images.

only one photo allowed.jpg

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: "Only 1 photo allowed with Self Hosting option. For more photos use other import options&qu

As I was updating the eight listings I listed via File Exchange,  "Only 1 photo allowed with Self Hosting option. For more photos use other import options" kept showing up when I tried to add an image, but after I added an image, it suggested adding more images. LOL.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Re: "Only 1 photo allowed with Self Hosting option. For more photos use other import options&qu

@huntfor 

Q. Did you include any photo URLs in your File Exchange batch?

Q. If you included only a single placeholder image, did it successfully acquire an eBay URL after your File Exchange upload?

Q. Can you ignore the message and add your photos, or is the message preventing some action?

This message may be some sort of artifact or File Exchange flag that should no longer appear on eBay's lister.

Years ago, when "self-hosting" was an option, sellers could include a single photo in the top gallery that was hosted from their own website or third-party image host.  This was back when "one free photo" was the norm, before eBay got into serious image hosting.

Around 2012, eBay began hosting "12 free photos", and in doing so, began allowing up to 12 self-hosted images. In the upload process, the uploaded photos that were self-hosted would be transferred to eBay hosting. So, in essence, self hosting was going away as a display option (while remaining as an upload option).  But, there were two API processes or flags still operating, one where only one photo could be uploaded and the other where 12 photos could be uploaded from an external server. The third-party listing services were still accessing the older method on the older versions of their tools, and accessing the newer method on newer versions of their tools. So, sellers were experiencing differing results using third party listing services.

For several more years, File Exchange still adhered to the "one external photo" policy because it was using the older method or flag. That was fixed only a few years ago so that multiple external photos could be uploaded through File Exchange and they would be rehosted by eBay. As we know, not all rehosting attempts are successful, and I have had a rare situation where transferring a group of photos in File Exchange resulted in some converting to eBay photos and some remaining hosted on my own server, all in the same listing.

I have also successfully uploaded some photos through File Exchange and then manually added  more desktop photos through the online listing tool, but in those cases, the File Exchange photos had successfully transferred to eBay hosting. 

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I included a single image placeholder URL for each of the eight listings. The same thing happened with each of the eight  listings.  I deleted the placeholder and added the proper image and then it said to add more images. I figured it was just a fluke. 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@Anonymous    I believe we have reported this issue before when Mikal was on this forum.  Could you send this to the team that controls this message? Is File Exchange setting a flag?

@huntfor wrote:

When did this start?  

"Only 1 photo allowed with Self Hosting option. For more photos use other import options".
This is from a regular listing that I uploaded via FE and now have to add my images.

only one photo allowed.jpg

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

It started this morning.  I don't think file exchange was setting any flag. It let my listings go through. It happened when I  updated my listings online to add my images.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @shipscript & @huntfor,

Thanks for posting, I'm sorry to hear you're running into image issues.

This does appear to be the same (or extremely similar) to the issue we ran into and resolved a few years ago.

I've recreated this, and reported this to our developers to look into further. I appreciate the taking the time to bring this to my attention.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Hi

Still this 1 Image Self Hosting problem is going on, I hope it will resolve soon.  

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@oneshopstop123 when you go to upload your listings and you add photos just ignore that message and just keep adding photos. I add up to 12 which is the maximum. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

But this 1 self hosting image error does not allow to edit in that listing, what to do regarding this restriction??

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Without ending your listing, tap on sell similar and start fresh and see what happens. This is one problem I haven't had since I posted that back in June. 

what I wrote back in June still applies:

I included a single image placeholder URL for each of the eight listings. The same thing happened with each of the eight  listings.  I deleted the placeholder and added the proper image and then it said to add more images. I figured it was just a fluke. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@oneshopstop123  I just created a new listing and now it shows "Add up to 12 photos. We don't allow photos with extra borders, text or artwork. You can also copy your photos from a web address."  

Maybe they finally fixed it because yesterday, I saw the old message. Either try "sell similar" or maybe try a new listing but copy from the old listing and paste everything into a new listing. I hope this helps you. 👍

add up to 12 photos.jpg

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for your support, will try that.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

You're very welcome. I hope it helps you.  I've been doing it like this for the past two months. 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Having same issue. Using Google Drive to host my images. I've changed the settings on the images to allow anyone on the internet to view etc.... When I upload using the eBay template, my listing goes through, however I get the following message. 

ha_brib_hamm3h50z_0-1632345271270.png

See details brings me here:

ha_brib_hamm3h50z_1-1632345460375.png

Fix your Gallery picture link is "not found" when I click it so that's no help.

Then when I find my listing on eBay, there is no picture unless you click into the listing.

ha_brib_hamm3h50z_2-1632345608461.png

If I click revise, I see the following message about only being able to self host 1 image:

ha_brib_hamm3h50z_3-1632345730931.png

Revising by deleting the uploaded images then adding the same images again works, but defeats the purpose of bulk uploading which is what I am getting ready to do.

One last piece if info is that if I right click on the image and get the image address, it is the address to my google drive hosted pic. Not sure if that is now supposed to be on eBay or if that is correct, but this is the address I used to upload the image. The image address is as follows

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=10L19og9k9IMF27npqxE7E_PdXoARjuYV

If I use 3D Sellers and Upload my listings to them first, everything looks fine when in 3D Sellers, but once I publish to eBay I get the exact same errors and issues. 

Sorry for being long winded but thought the details could help someone help me!

Thanks,

Brian

Message 15 of 17
latest reply