cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WATERMARK LOGO-Sellers are selling a lot of items with their watermark logo and that's a bad idea.

Hello, everyone.

I notice a lot of sellers are selling their items with watermark logos embedded in the item photos.

It's not a good idea to put a watermark logo embedded in the item photos because there are other resellers that would like to buy the item from you and use your photos and resell it to their customer.

It's a good idea just to use the item photos without a watermark logo then you will see that your sales will increase then the reseller will use your photos and show to their customer and it will generate good results for the eBay sellers and the generic resellers.

I hope that my comment will be helpful and the seller will remove their watermark logo to increase their sales.   

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: WATERMARK LOGO-Sellers are selling a lot of items with their watermark logo and that's a bad ide

Hi everyone,

This discussion has gotten a bit heated. Please remember that, while it is fine to disagree with others, discussion should always remain friendly and respectful as required by the Community Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

Re: WATERMARK LOGO-Sellers are selling a lot of items with their watermark logo and that's a bad ide

This reminds me of having a booth at an antique mall or the big outdoor events and having someone ask, "What's your best dealer price?" 

Hate it. It implies that I should give the item to them at cost or at a loss simply because they too resell items. 

Nope. We're not obligated to break even or lose money simply so someone else can make money. 

Watermarks are ugly, but I know why they exist. Those sellers are not obligated to provide pictures for free so someone else can make money.

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

So it's never occurred to you that the seller used the watermark in his photos to prevent others from doing exactly that?  

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

So how exactly should a I, a reseller go about getting pictures of products. I have brand new, unopened products that I buy from liquidation outlets for very cheap, which I then resell for a good deal to my customers and still make a profit for myself. Opening and putting together a product to take the picture would then make my product used and decrease its value. What does one do in this circumstance?

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

@bricon3330 wrote:

So how exactly should a I, a reseller go about getting pictures of products. I have brand new, unopened products that I buy from liquidation outlets for very cheap, which I then resell for a good deal to my customers and still make a profit for myself. Opening and putting together a product to take the picture would then make my product used and decrease its value. What does one do in this circumstance?

Have you read this section?

Listing your item with details from our catalog

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/listing-item-product-details-c...

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

I have not noticed a loss of sales, quite the opposite, as my buyers know it is an item that comes from me, as well as preventing any competition from using my work., Setting up and taking pictures is a creative and time consuming issue and one that is taken in pride, of which I have no intention of letting the competition use my own work against me...do like others do learn how to take and use pictures yourself, once you are done let me know how much you like it when others steal your work to use against you!

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

Ebay recalled their watermark ban rule, an official annoucement was made on ‎11-30-2017 

Search Ebay community Announcements: Watermark-Removal-Policy-Enforcement-Update 

I cant include a link in the comment unfortunately.

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

Buyers can take their own pictures. Maybe they are too LAZY to do so. To use water marks is OK with me. I once had a seller copied my WHOLE listing include pictures, description and terms & conditions. He got into deep poop for doing that. It is a no no.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

@tasifama wrote:

If you purchase something to resell, why not use your own photo?

Answering to your question:

Most of the time people don't have the product in stock to take pictures to use their own photos or maybe they didn't receive their products yet and they have to promote the product to sell the item before it arrives etc.

If that's what you're doing, you're violating ebay policy and not only risk upsetting customers when you're not able to fulfill a buyer order but you face loss of your account when ebay finds out that you're dropshipping in this manner. 

@tasifama 

It sounds like you're ticked off that you aren't able to steal pictures of other sellers' items so you can dropship your items using pictures that belong to others. 

Instead of being lazy, do your own work. Buy the inventory, have it in stock, photograph using your own pictures and own words in the description and improve your reputation as someone who is willing to do the work to become a good seller. 

FWIW, I find it interesting (and rather telling) that you aren't using your selling ID to post! I wouldn't want to out myself either if I were doing this.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

@driver.apparel wrote:

Ebay recalled their watermark ban rule, an official annoucement was made on ‎11-30-2017 
Search Ebay community Announcements: Watermark-Removal-Policy-Enforcement-Update 
I cant include a link in the comment unfortunately.

@driver.apparel 

Watermarks

eBay instituted a ban on watermarks in response to Google's policy of not including listings that had junky photos (borders, backgrounds, watermarks) which was causing a drop in eBay listings appearing in google shopping.

eBay did not reverse or "recall their watermark ban rule". They simply cancelled their March 1, 2018 drop-dead date for compliance (when listings were going to be removed from search).

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Watermark-Removal-Policy-Enforcement-Update/ba-p/2780374... 

"...have decided that we will not enforce the removal of watermarks in March 2018 as originally planned...."

As a third-party developer, I was present at the developer council meeting where we developers complained that sellers facing the task of retaking hundreds of thousands of photos could not do so within such a short period of time. The consensus at the meeting with eBay staff was that no new photos could apply watermarks, while the existing photos could be allowed to age off.  Those listings with existing watermarks were less likely to appear in Google shopping.

The developers, in compliance with eBay's new rules, removed the watermarking features from their listing tools. I no longer promoted my watermarking tools.  That is were it was left at that time.  I don't recall it ever changing after that. The 2017 ban on new watermarks still stands, and no new watermarks should be appearing.

Copyright

That said, I agree that sellers should, and do, have the ability to protect their work. A seller who invests in quality photo equipment and staging to generate great listing photos, should not be subjected to photo theft by others who will profit from those efforts without payment.

I also believe that "discreet" copyright notices should be allowed.

According to US copyright law, copyrights are vested in the creator of a work at the moment it is created.  The work does not need to be labeled with a copyright notice to be copyrighted, although a notice makes it easier to take the infringer to court. This means that purloining the photos of others (often found on the Internet) is a violation of copyright law UNLESS the owner of that copyrighted work has given it to the public domain or has given direct permission. Grabbing the photos of other sellers, without asking permission of that seller, is a violation of copyright law.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 25 of 35
latest reply

@tasifama wrote:

If you purchase something to resell, why not use your own photo?

Answering to your question:
Most of the time people don't have the product in stock to take pictures to use their own photos or maybe they didn't receive their products yet and they have to promote the product to sell the item before it arrives etc. 

Most of the time people don't have the product in stock to take pictures...

Those people are known as dropshippers.

And why would you "promote the product to sell the item before it arrives" 

What would you do if the product does sell before you physically have it? Of course that's a rhetorical question since it's obvious you are indeed a dropshipper. 

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

Many sellers on this site are retailers who are not interested in wholesaling, and not interested in drop shipping for other resellers.

They wish to protect their intellectual property because they do not see their pictures if reused by another seller as anything but larceny.

The do not reuse any other sellers' images.

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

That is **bleep**. What planet are you on?

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

I'm at eBay planet and you?

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

Your comment doesn't make any sense.

Message 30 of 35
latest reply