cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Record Your Packaging of Shipments

Video Record Packing of Shipments

I do not know if this is the right place to post this, but I'll give it shot.

If your a seller on eBay, I believe that this should be a common practice.  Record all purchases of packaging of shipments.

I'm sure most sellers at one time or another have had a buyer claim that a package wasn't delivered.  Of course, no shipping carrier is perfect, but it can happen and as a seller it is necessary to look into these types of issues.

One way to insure your buyer that you shipped the item is to have proof.  One way of proving it, is to have a video recording of the purchase being packaged.  I have been doing this for a while now and it has been a big help when it comes down to a dispute about shipping and or items not being as described.

It's not hard, though some may not want to take the extra time to do it, it can be a essential tool.  Here are a few things you'll need to do it. 

• PC camera, cellphone or any digital device that takes videos
  • Video player.  example.  VLC player, Windows media player, or any video player software that is compatible with most common formats that are used today
  •  A snipping or clipping tool.  You can use it to take still shot/snippets of the video to send to the buyer/customer if needed.  If you have a video editing software you can use that to pull parts of the video into a picture format.

That's basically it.  A few minutes of videoing can be beneficial.  I'm not saying that all buyers/customers are going to abuse eBay policies, but we have to admit that there are a few bad apples out there that will try to take advantage of a honest seller/dealer.

Now some of you might be saying that you don't have the time and that's your decision.  But if it comes down to a shipping dispute or item not described, I much rather have backup, than nothing at all.

Also you can use it to record the receiving and opening of buyers returns.

I hope this is useful for those who are interested.

Have a great day

G.S.

Greg's Collection

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Did not read your recommendations.

eBay does not care if you "video" packing.

Buyer says not right. That is what eBay goes by.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Sorry, but videos don't prove anything, but that you can take a video.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@gregs_collection 

As other eBay sellers have previously discovered, a video record of the seller packaging the item is considered to be insufficient evidence by eBay for purposes of "item not received" and "item not as described" cases.

One of the major problems with this particular "proof," is that the video record does not include the COMPLETE shipping, delivery and receipt of the unopened package -- leaving far too much opportunity for seller fraud.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I learned this from company that records all of their shipments.  This company is a major seller of precious metals.  It has also helped me in the past.  But it's up to the seller to decide if they are going to do it.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

It has also helped me in the past.  But it's up to the seller to decide if they are going to do it.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

It helped me with a order that was a substantial amount.  But it's up to the seller if they want to take the time.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Sorry you went to all that trouble to give details of videoing packaging.

It's been fairly well established in the past that eBay will not accept such taping as proof that the package was sent.

I could take a video of myself wrapping and sticking on a shipping label, but what does that prove in terms of my taking the package to the PO and handing it to the clerk? 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

If you have tracking and a USPS receipt, then it does show that the package was shipped.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@gregs_collection wrote:

If you have tracking and a USPS receipt, then it does show that the package was shipped.

If you have that, you don't need a video.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

So I record the item being packed up in a box and putting the label on....

Then i turn off video and repack the box..... what did the video prove?

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@6al_4v wrote:

So I record the item being packed up in a box and putting the label on....

Then i turn off video and repack the box..... what did the video prove?

That's why they don't accept videos, they can be faked to easy.

Have a great day
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Nobody's mentioned the extra time required for this... sellers just don't have it. Thank goodness we don't need it.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@gregs_collection 

Years ago, before eBay embedded their own shipping labels, I would send a photo of the franked and labeled package to the buyer. This was not to protect me, but to inform the buyer that the item had been sent and to let them know what to look for if there was any delivery issue.

While sending a video of packaging the item might dissuade a less-than-honest buyer from opening a claim, it won't guarantee the outcome of an eBay claim.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Buyer/seller disputes are handled by bots or human prototypes for bots.

Bots do not watch videos yet.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply