cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still do not like the ebay mobile app.

They harp and harp and tell us most buyers are using smartphones to make "informed"  purchases but scrub part of my description. Go call them up and ask them how to add video to your listing. Just don't expect what they tell you to work. Video is important for some of the props I sell. Why it is crucial in many instances. They claim in a cold sweat sort of paranoid way they don't want users going off of ebay but hiding my HTML5 compliant video could do just that?  I mean I'm not smartphone savvy but I'm intuitive so I found the video by clicking that little almost invisible arrow on the right. My title line says see video. So customer clicks my ad. They don't see video. Do they actually know to click that arrow?  Suppose they don't have great vision?  Most people who buy what I see tend to be older home owners not teenagers or college kids. I rarely ship to universities. Isn't there a great potential in an impulse consumer society for the buyer to get frustrated when they don't immediately see the video???  Don't think of it how you know how to navigate a mobile app but rather think of it how someone who may have just got their 1st smartphone and is not used to such devices. I think making a buyer jump through hoops of fire potentially kills sales. Spare me the videos slow pages down like you are on a dialup smartphone routine. Smartphones handle videos effortlesly. I'm on an Apple. Not all mobile apps are the same. Shopify is vastly superior to ebay's flawed app. The idea is to place the customer in the showroom not make them think like something is wrong. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Still do not like the ebay mobile app.

I must have been asleep last year at least according to Ebay technical support.  I sold a product that is being returned because it's not as described.  I couldn't for the life of me figure how that could be when every detail was spelled out.  Usually this item comes as a three, six, or twelve pack but mine  was being sold as a four pack.  The buyer kept insisting that my product description was a six, and I thought he was trying to avoid telling me he made a mistake.  I use a desktop computer to manage all my listings, and I use an IPad when I'm out and about.    In all this time I never read one of my own ads on a mobile phone.  What happened was that Ebay substituted a completely generic product description on my listing for their mobile format so that it would conform to the 250 character limitation.  The buyer never clicked on the link to read my item description.  I went through a number of my listings and they were pretty bad.  Many of them didn't have any information upon opening at all.  I looked at a number of listing for a pair of shoes, some trading cards,   and it actually said Free Trial.  It took me a bit but I figured out that was related to my Auctiva Scrolling Gallery.  I moved the location of the gallery to the bottom on my listing descriptions.   I have yet to see if that will help.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Still do not like the ebay mobile app.

Haven't used Auctiva so don't know if they are up to speed active contentwise. I haven't exactly experienced what you did but have for example sold an item(GTC)and then swapped pics out for a similar item to sell some more. Customer got the item she ordered but said it didn't look like the picture. She looked at the new picture(s).

I see now some of the description is available provided a buyer touches their precious screen to scroll. It wasn't always that way. Right before they started telling us to us item specifics the entire description was an optional tab. Now it seems extra stuff like videos you have to use that right arrow to see the full description. Smart phones can handle video, Ebay shouldn't skimp.

I spent 23 out of 24 months below standard I think in part because of the mobile app. My Shopify mobile app is way better and while Ebay claims 70% of sale via mobile they claim 80%. Still scrolling is often ignored on a phone. I just had another say they didn't see it was a preorder(description). All he had to do is scroll. 

If Ebay is substituting catalog info or just changing your info that's wrong. They shouldn't tell you that you can't appeal a case and they should reach out to the customer and say it was their fault. Think I'll blame the next glitch on Duerte(sp?)  Ha!

Message 3 of 3
latest reply