cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Exchange Package Dimension Requirement

I'm using Excel sheets and File Exchange to list my products.
It's been working fine until yesterday, and suddenly today, all of my CSVs fail to upload, saying that package dimension is a requirement to calculate shipping. 

I always have the package weight in the sheets, and it's been working fine just with that.

My items vary in dimensions, and it'd be a lot of work to individually measure them.

Is this some newly implemented policy from eBay? or Does anyone know what's going on with this?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@kjcstargate

eBay needs both weight and dimensions to accurately estimate shipping. This is even more important with eBay International Shipping.

It looks like most of your items come in only a few shapes, like CDs, books, and magazines, so only a few box shapes. It would not seem difficult to choose one box shape for most items in each category. Then you could use more accurate dimensions to purchase a label.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the quick reply!

But I'm wondering if this dimension requirement has always been a thing for everyone?

Then how come I was able to upload CSVs successfully without that information until now?

I want to know if I've been doing something wrong, or if there is a way to keep my way of doing things.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

It appears based on reports from other sellers that as of today eBay is now requiring package dimensions on listings with calculated shipping. Sellers should enter accurate package dimensions when listing. If that's not possible for some reason, as long as you are 100% certain your package :

1. Will not exceed a cubic foot in volume (LxWxH < 1728) and
2. Will not exceed 22" in length

Then you can enter "dummy" dimensions of 12x12x12.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Alright, I guess I must now add the dimension section.

What would be the column name for this and how should the data be written?

(length, width, and depth separately? or all together with commas?)

When I download the template, it's not included there, nor is it on the User Guide (https://pics.ebay.com/aw/pics/in/pdf/file_exchange/File_Exchange_User_Guide.pdf). Perhaps I didn't find the right one...?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@kjcstargate 

Fields required for Calculated Shipping and EIS

PackageType  (Letter, LargeEnvelope, PackageThickEnvelope)
WeightUnit  (lb - for imperial measurements)
WeightMajor  (number of pounds)
WeightMinor  (number of ounces)
PackageWidth  (whole number)
PackageLength  (whole number)
PackageDepth  (whole number)
PostalCode  (zip -  can be used in place of  Location field)

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@kjcstargate wrote:

Alright, I guess I must now add the dimension section.

A few sellers were reporting dimension requirements yesterday, then came back later to say it was no longer an issue. Possibly a short-lived tech error.

That said, I do believe any listing with calculated shipping should have weight and dimensions - and even flat ship or free ship listings should have weight/dim if eBay International Shipping is offered as Ship mentioned above.

If you can easily add those columns to your uploads go-forward, I suggest doing it.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply