cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

return of an item (clothing....doesn't fit)

i am not a large seller of items on ebay (couple hundred items in 5 years) , but i did do the free return which means that i have to pay for the item to be returned (to gain more exposure)

Since i don't get many returns i was to double check the procedure on a recent item.  The item (women's Corduroy pants) sold was $12 and the buyer paid $9.65 shipping.  The buyer wanted to return the item because it did not fit.  So i had to pay the return shipping cost.  When the item was returned (in original condition), what am i to refund.  The item cost only ($12) , or the item cost and the shipping cost they paid ($21.65)...???

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: return of an item (clothing....doesn't fit)

@beancou-71 

On a remorse return, if the buyer paid the original shipping, you can deduct it from the refund.

If it was free shipping, they would get a full refund.

Have a great day

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

On a "remorse" return refund that I just made ebay provided the option for me not to refund the initial shipping paid by the buyer. The default was to withhold .  The initial shipping was not "included". The buyer had paid that as a separate charge. I do believe, that tad shipping been "included" in the cost of the item that option would not have been there.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

On a recent "return to sender" item that came back, i contacted Ebay about the refund procedure and they asked if i had contacted the buyer about a partial refund (item only). I did and they accept this, and i issued the refund.  I like my "best seller" status and would hate to lose it to a disgruntled buyer. This was not the case here, but.....

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@beancou-71 wrote:

So i had to pay the return shipping cost.  

Why?

You don't HAVE to take them back.

You can just refund.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@beancou-71 

On a remorse return, if the buyer paid the original shipping, you can deduct it from the refund.

If it was free shipping, they would get a full refund.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 5
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: