cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Return closed"

After I brought a laptop, I was told I shouldn't have (not necessarily my money) and opted to return it.

eBay wouldn't let me return it right away (I had to wait until the next day), but I did message the seller (politely, even), telling them the situation and what I intended to do, telling them not to ship it.

The next day, I issued a return request, and it was promptly closed. It now says shipped and set to arrive Monday, Sep 27.

I called my card to dispute the charge because eBay wasn't giving me a phone number to talk it over; this is all quite heavy-handed, I suppose. What can I do on the part of eBay? Who can I contact, and how? The help documents have been useless, especially so considering a purchase costing the better part of $1K.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: "Return closed"

@nichta-1396 wrote:

I called my card to dispute the charge because eBay wasn't giving me a phone number to talk it over; this is all quite heavy-handed, I suppose.

What can I do on the part of eBay? Who can I contact, and how? The help documents have been useless, especially so considering a purchase costing the better part of $1K.

You're done talking to eBay, @nichta-1396. The pecking order is eBay then PayPal then your card issuer.

If you open a case at PayPal, a case at eBay, if any, is closed. If you file a chargeback, any case at PayPal is closed, or if you skipped PayPal, a case at eBay, if any, is closed. So now just refuse the upcoming delivery -- your card issuer considers Refused Delivery to be a valid method of return

3cfpguhf9udgh9hfuhfs9hftc3.png

so you won't even have to pay for return shipping -- and pursue your chargeback until you get your refund.

We have no bahamas today.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Fwiw, if you opened a dispute with your credit card company then per eBay policy that closes out any similar dispute on the transaction that was open on eBay.  That's because other than providing basic transaction details, eBay has no influence at all when it comes to decisions in credit card disputes.  Also, you may want to screenshot and store all the information you can on the supposed package that was shipped for delivery on the 27th - that seems strange. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Refuse delivery and save your tracking records, showing your refusal. That's the best strategy. Then open a dispute with your Credit Card company. You're done

Don't feel bad, times are rough, Seller will get over it. If you accept the package on 27th, then, Seller will be suspicious of your behavior. It's an ordering mistake, treat it like one; If you don't want it don't take it!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Refusing delivery voids your buyer protection.

I believe the reason the case was closed when you requested a return was because the seller hadn't even shipped it yet. What you should have done was requested a cancellation. The seller wouldn't have been obligated to accept it but many sellers do cancel because they'd rather not deal with a dispute after shipment and delivery.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

"I called my card to dispute the charge because eBay wasn't giving me a phone number to talk it over; this is all quite heavy-handed, I suppose."

@nichta-1396 

Yes, it was quite 'heavy-handed', but now it's done. Don't beat yourself up any more... look to your CC. Good luck.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta says:

"Refusing delivery voids your buyer protection."

True, that's exactly the point of drama. eBay dislikes refusal of delivery. However, once you accept that package, whole can of worms will open with opening the package or even accepting it. The item becomes your responsibility,   cause you problems and extra unnecessary explanation 

Don't accept possesion, that's the legal remedy 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

So you used money that didn't belong to you, and filed a return before you got the item? You need to not purchase anything unless the money is actually yours.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

If you bought the "Square Trade" warranty on the laptop, they likely also received notice of the chargeback from your CC company. It's unlikely they'll say or do anything to enforce their rights as part of the chargeback, but you should keep in mind that (if you did purchase it), your CC company may choose to treat is as a separate purchase and continue to bill you for it until you've disputed it, as well. 

You'll need to see how the transactions show up on your monthly statement.

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Oh jeeze.

You cost a seller more than just the selling price, the shipping price and the time it took to list the item, then you hit them with another $20 fee because YOU window shopped?

Maybe next time, go to a local store and window shop, instead of costing sellers more money than you spend.  

ARGGG!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: