cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is eBay messaging system down? Also, what's wrong with USPS tracking?

I don't use eBay much these days, but I needed a replacement part for my car recently.  I found a seller selling one that he claimed was compatible with my car, but of course, once I received it, it actually wasn't compatible.  Sigh.  What a pain!  So I started a return, printed a return shipping label, put the thing in a box, put the label on and gave it to USPS on Tuesday.

Now I have new & different problems!

First, the seller is bugging me with eBay messages, urging me to send the item back.  I want to tell him that I already have done that, but when I try to reply via eBay messaging, the final "Seen Message" button is all grayed out !!  What the bleep?!?!  Is it just me or are other people seeing this also?  Earlier today, when I tried to reply to the sellers last message the contact.ebay.com web site that handles message replies wasn't even responding!

Please tell me these troubles in the messaging system are eBay's fault and not mine.

Also and separately, I have check and double checked, and tried to do tracking on my USPS return tracking number, and even though USPS has had the thing for multiple days now, when I try to track the package, the USPS web site says that it is still waiting for me to give them the package, which is 100% wrong!!!

I have never had any such troubles with either the eBay messaging system or with USPS, and I have been buying & selling on eBay for 20+ years!

Again, I'd just like someone to reassure me that the fact that USPS doesn't seem to know where my return shipment is is their fault and not mine.  If it is my fault somehow, then I'll fix it, but I am just in limbo, and I can't even communicate with the seller due to the eBay messaging problem.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: is eBay messaging system down? Also, what's wrong with USPS tracking?

Sorry!  EDIT!  I said "Seen Message button" when I meant to say "Send Message" button.  That button is all greyed out and non-clickable for me when I try to respond to the seller.

Have I been bad?  Am I being punished?  I am not a spammer!  I think that eBay's messaging system is just on the fritz today.  Can anyone confirm?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I can't comment on the messaging issue you are having, but I have a return coming from a buyer.  That package is also not updating in the USPS system.  The tracking number still shows as "awaiting shipping" (or something to that effect) and it was mailed on Tuesday.  I know that it is in the hands of the post office because the buyer is chomping at the bit to get her refund and has told me her every move in the return process.  

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I have contacted a buyer today, the buyer replied to me, and I sent a reply back.  Messaging is working for me.

When you went to the post office with your returned package, did you hand it over to a clerk who SCANNED the package?  I always wait for a clerk to scan my packages no matter what type of package it is.  If you left it on the counter, the package may not have been scanned, which is why you are seeing that "awaiting" for the package message.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thank you.  I didn't know that trick about watching to see that the USPS people actually scan the package.  I will do that from now on.

The good news is that the return package did finally show up on USPS tracking, albeit 4 days after I gave it to USPS, and it has already been delivered to the seller.

I am still having a problem with the eBay messaging system and I still have just a greyed-out "Send Message" button when I try to reply to one of the seller's messages.  I guess that I have to call eBay... again... about this issue.  Is it possible that the seller is blocking my reply messages?  This is very weird and i have never seen this before now.  (When I called about it the first time, the eBay rep said that it was a problem on their end, but several days later and it is still broken.)

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

So, now I know:  There's nothing wrong with the eBay messaging system.  The seller, for unknown reasons, decided to block me from replying to him messages to me.

Make no sense to me, but this appears to be a shady seller... pretending to be in the U.S. but actually operating out of Hong Kong.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@ronbaby wrote:

The good news is that the return package did finally show up on USPS tracking, albeit 4 days after I gave it to USPS, and it has already been delivered to the seller.

Has it been more than 2 business days already @ronbaby since the return was delivered back to the seller, but the seller still has not refunded?

If so, leave a private message for eBay on Facebook here with your name, email and zip code, and give eBay the return tracking number.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you.  The seller id acknowledge receiving the return, and the seller did issue me a refund, but it was only partial... purchase price minus the return shipping cost.  I have already made clear to eBay that my feeling was that the seller had misrepresented the item as being compatible with my specific car, which it actually wasn't, and that thus I should get a FULL refund.

The eBay rep said that I would get a coupon for the difference, which is good enough for me, but I kind of think they should look at this seller's business practices.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: