cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS damage - seller will refund - ship back???

Hi, I searched this forum and don't see this issue. Appreciate any tips --

I purchased $2000 electronics and USPS destroyed the item. Seller agreed to refund. Seller sent it insured. To get my refund, I need to request the return, which he'll approve.

But I understand eBay won't refund the money til tracking shows the item was returned. HOWEVER, for him to get the USPS insurance claim, he would need me to hold onto the item so USPS can inspect it if needed.  If I shipped it back to him to get my refund, it would void his USPS shipping insurance.

So: is there any way to get the refund and hold the package until the seller instructs me to ship it back to him? Is there any way to get instructions from eBay? I tried chat and it won't do anything til I request the return.

Thank you

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: USPS damage - seller will refund - ship back???

@sushi_boy 

Right now, you need to go to your purchase history and click return item and select, the item doesn't match the description as the reason.
The seller will have 3 days to accept the return and pay return shipping or refund without returning.
If they don't, return to the case on day 4 and ask Ebay to step in.

If the seller wants to file an insurance claim, they need to refund you now without returning

You hang on to the item and package so it can be turned over to the carrier for inspection, if needed.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Advice given by kensgiftshop is correct.

I will add do not let the seller talk you into anything else.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Sir,

You have 30 days to return. You've probably placed this charge on your C C Card, so, money is not out of your pocket yet. Trust the system cut this Seller some slack. Seller has lost a $2K item.

It'll take 7-10 days for insurance company to respond. This item may or may not be insured by USPS. If it was me, I would have insured this package by private insurance company. I insure all my packages. Private insurance companies have faster payoff system.

Keep communicating with your Seller. They're not going anywhere. In addition to eBay 30 days Money Back Guarantee, you have your financial institution's protection as well. So, you're fully covered.

You certainly have an option to get your money back right away. Seller could give you a full refund now. You don't need to do anything. All Seller needs to do is click refund in full. 

So all mechanisms are there. Money is available for you. You know the time line. It's up to you. However, I suggest for you to give Seller 10 days. Let Seller know, you're doing so. Keep communications via eBay messaging system for reference. 

Know this, you're covered by eBay 30 day MBG and your C C, for receiving a damaged item. 

So here is a list for you, if you want to give Seller a chance to recover their loss;

-Cooperate with your Seller

-Give Seller 10 days to come out with a final solution

-let them know the time limit you're giving them

-Keep the package in its received condition including the other box and all wrappings

Don't worry, 

Don't panic.

You're covered in many ways. Seller could give you a refund right now. Just give them 10 days, for them to do what they have to do. You can follow with eBay for immediate refund. However, you've an option to give Seller a bit of breathing room. The end result is same. It's your choice now. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Buyers don't have to deal with the insurance.  As advised file an item not as described case right away. Click the choice return this item and choose not as described.   The shipper's insurance might not even cover it if it's not packed well enough. 

Insurance protects your seller, eBay protects the buyer.  File the case.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: