cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketchy buyer refund request

Hello, I’m a new seller (39 sales since Nov7.)

I shipped a book that was new in shrink wrap, buyer claiming there is black marker scribbling on slipcase and asking for full refund. I do not accept returns, but have read eBay’s policy on returns for undisclosed defects. I requested a picture from buyer and then she demanded a refund (did not mention return.)  if there is marking it is on the bottom of shrink wrap and was a store mark out of a label. I inspect items carefully. I would have dismissed the marking as not impacting the product contained. I left the antique store business because of theft. It seems I’m still going to have to deal with another form of theft here.

how would a seasoned seller handle this? I think I know the answer… sadly. This will cost me return shipping. Thanks,

otherwise it is going great, I’ve already exceeded sales I was getting from the booth, and have dealt with great buyers up to now.

rick 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sketchy buyer refund request

So the book was new in shrink wrap and the marker scribbling is on the shrink wrap itself, and not the actual product.  She's not sending you a photo, and she's demanding a refund.  Tell her she HAS to send the product back and only when you receive it will she get her money back.   Even if she won't send you the photo, I'd still want to resolve this quickly, and then block her.  Like the previous answer says, go to "return this item" and take it from there.  Make sure all your messages back and forth to the buyer are through ebay and not personal email, so that ebay can read it all.  Good luck, and congrats on all your sales!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Even though you state you don't offer returns it does not mean no refunds. 

eBay's Money Back Guarantee will trump your no return policy.

It would be in your best interest to have the buyer return the item. 

Tell your buyer they will need to return the item to get their refund. They need to go to the item in their purchase history. Select return this item and select the reason for return from the drop down menu.

Let them know you will refund when the book is in your hands. If there is nothing wrong with the book you can always resell it. Put your buyer in the Blocked Bidder list also so they don't try to buy from you again.

ETA :Even if the marking was on the outside of the shrink wrap, I would have stated such in the description.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, I normally would have mentioned the mark on wrap but I took these from my antique booth where people can inspect items before buying. Shifting my perspective… thanks for the reply. It kind of sounds like she wants a free book but we’ll see when she has to return. 
it kind of kills me to pay for return shipping, but hopefully this is a rare case. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

So the book was new in shrink wrap and the marker scribbling is on the shrink wrap itself, and not the actual product.  She's not sending you a photo, and she's demanding a refund.  Tell her she HAS to send the product back and only when you receive it will she get her money back.   Even if she won't send you the photo, I'd still want to resolve this quickly, and then block her.  Like the previous answer says, go to "return this item" and take it from there.  Make sure all your messages back and forth to the buyer are through ebay and not personal email, so that ebay can read it all.  Good luck, and congrats on all your sales!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, I have done so. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Final chapter: she replied she didn’t want to go through all the return steps so maybe I could give her a discount? I said you have to return it to protect both of us… she said she would keep it as is even though it had a flaw… so far no feed back. I was polite and professional, I think that helps. Thanks for the replies!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Sounds like it's worked out well so far.  However, not wanting to burst your balloon, but the buyer has 60 days to leave FB as well as 180 days to ask for a refund through Paypal, or to do a chargeback on her credit card.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Understood.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: