cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers Who Don't Honor Return Window Under Order Details Page

Purchased slot car track as a Christmas gift for my children which was delivered on December 4th 2021. My kids opened the item on Christmas and we got it out of the box a few days later finding item was broken and defective out of the box. Item was advertised as new in the box. Contacted seller who asked me to go thru several steps to troubleshoot problems, I did what seller asked and item was still not working correctly. I requested a refund on January 4, 2022, seller denied refund saying I was a day late on requesting refund. I went under my order details and it clearly showed "item eligible for refund until January 7, 2022" I have been arguing with eBay as they continue to say it's about eBay's money back guarantee and it's not, it's about the seller asking me to troubleshoot, I did, they had their own 30 day money back guarantee as long as I pay return shipping and then when I requested a refund they improperly closed the refund. Seller has not contacted me back since saying they were going to ask a manager to approve a refund. Every time I contact eBay via chat or email, it usually goes to overseas based support who have all given different answers, even saying I can try to recoup my money by selling the item on eBay or give as a gift. Yes, eBay customer support seriously told me to sell an item that is broken and defective to recoup my money or give it as a gift. I have their email reply. When I try to message the seller now it simply states "seller can't be contacted right now.

I need someone at eBay who is at corporate headquarters in California to intervene in this issue and get my item refunded. This is ridiculous. Amazon mandates extended returns regardless of sellers policies for any item purchased from The last week of October thru the week of Christmas and advertises as such. eBay supposedly does this only for certain sellers. Buyers should be protected, especially as it may take time to open items purchased as gifts during the Christmas season.

If anyone from eBay corporate reads this, please help get my refund that should have been a simple process!!!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Sellers Who Don't Honor Return Window Under Order Details Page

Sorry to hear about this. This is a members board, and the odds of someone from eBay reading this, let alone act on it, are low. Did you at the very least checked on the item upon receipt? I mean, you got it on the 4th, but is not until the 25th that you found out it was damaged/defective. Any possibility that I may fallen off or something like that between the 4th-25th?

Did you actually submitted a claim in eBay, if item was still eligible for refund? Something is missing. At any rate, you can still claim a chargeback through your credit card, if that is how you pay. Good luck. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@stuffintn This is a member to member forum, only other buyers and sellers on here. No one from eBay is going to see your post or comment on it. I don't understand why you couldn't utilize the money back guarantee as that surpasses anything your seller offers. There is only one case to be opened on eBay and once that closes you have no other opportunities on this platform. You can file a case using your payment source as that is your only other option. Best of luck to you....

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I use to buy my Xmas items months in advance, but I learned quickly that anything I purchased needed to be opened and inspected immediately for functionality. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

There are few things which every buyer has to understand.

1 : there is difference between online buying and buying directly from store.

2 : for online buying, buyers has to make sure to check the item after delivery. 

3 : there are policies which has be followed by buyers and sellers. lets say if buyer open a package after two months which is out of return policy so is it seller fault ? there is time frame for return and lets say generally if buyers start returning item whenever they want then no one will sell items online. 

every one has to follow the policy or need to read the the policy before buy the product. 

4 : amazon sells directly and earn directly through prime, they have their own setup but on ebay, sellers sells directly , eBay does not sells directly any item. 

5 : when some seller ship any item there is shipping cost for that and there is returning cost for him, which mostly buyers does not understand. buyer has a right to return the item but must be as per ebay policy.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

eBay corporate?

Not likely not when posted on the members board

Refunding is a simple process when done within eBay return policy guidelines policy.

As posted previously, always open purchases as soon as you receive them even when giving a gift to ensure the item is correct and in described condition.

I also learned this many years ago that when I receive a purchase, I check it out and return for refund if item is broken or not as described.

Return should have been started ideally on Dec 26th  aleast in my book

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Forgot to add of paid through PayPal you have 180 days

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@stuffintn wrote:

please help get my refund that should have been a simple process!!!

It is a simple process when the right type of case is opened.

If you had opened an INAD, the seller wouldn't have been able to deny the return.

You'll have to go to Pay Pal or your payment source now to fie a claim.

Have a great day.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Don't buy Christmas presents on eBay.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: