cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller won't reimburse me shipping costs to send back item

I returned a camera to a seller in Japan, upon starting the return process, eBay noted that the seller needs to pay for return shipping. I processed the return and a message from the seller came back that they were unable to provide a shipping label and said I should go ahead and ship it back and they will pay for it(include it) in the refund.

I sent the item back with a photo of the receipt for the shipping($67.50). I received the refund but the shipping was not included. I messaged them back noting about the shipping. Waited for a reply for a few days and even contacted eBay who said that this shipping cost was outside of eBay's transaction and to keep trying to get the seller to refund the shipping. So far no response after 1 week. Do I have any other recourse? 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Probably not. You are supposed to get the shipping money up front. If they aren't  being responsible you were supposed to contact eBay and tell them  the seller isn't  providing a return label or money to return it. Then eBay was supposed to refund and tell you that you don't have to return it. Once it's been returned the seller has no incentive to reimburse shipping.  Does the seller have your PayPal address?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

How would I find out their PayPal address? What would I do with the address? Should I contact eBay again?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@steves-got-it wrote:

How would I find out their PayPal address? What would I do with the address? Should I contact eBay again?

There's nothing Ebay will do.

The seller is to pay return shipping up front.

If you paid it, there's no way to make the seller pay you back

You can send them your Pay Pal email and see if they'll send the funds, but they probably won't.

They have the item back and there's no need for them to be out any more money now.

Have a great day.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

You did the process wrong so now it is completely up to the seller to refund you or not refund you.

Sorry that you messed up this time

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

You should have gotten the money from the seller if the item was NOT AS DESCRIBED.  Now, if you did not like the camera or made a mistake and bought the wrong one, the shipping cost is paid by you.     YOu can try and email the seller one more time if it was an item NOT described and tell them your paypal email address and ask them to refund.  IF after a few days,  no refunds, then declare this transaction a loss. LEARN by your mistake.  The best way to do that is to buy from sellers in the USA.   No seller in a foreign country can provide a return shipping label.  The buyers would need to get the money up front.

Now if you opened the case and after 3 -4 days, the seller did not provide the $ for the return shipping to you could have escalated the case.  Of course, you needed to send the paypal email address to the seller before escalating.  If no return $, Ebay would have refunded and  you keep the camera.  In that situation, I bet the seller would be highly motivated to get your paypal address and send you money to return the camera.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

You didn't wait for the money, you won't be seeing it.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: