cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return - How much should I deduct for a damage to a original box?

I sold a brand new never worn with the box pair of Nike athletic shoes. I packed the box in a eBay shoe box as not to damage the Nike box. The buyer open a return because the item did not fit...no problem. Because the buyer did everything promptly; tried the item on, open the return and shipped the return within 3 days of delivery, I was going to refund them when the item was on its was...but something told me to wait until I receive the item. When I received the item I was so mad! The buyer sent the item back using the Nike box as the shipping container, wrapping it in priority tape therefore damaging the box...who does that! The shoes were fine...I just can't sell them as "New with Box" I have to sell them 'New without Box". Should I deduct funds because the box is damaged if so how much? thanks!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Return - How much should I deduct for a damage to a original box?

You should never refund before the item reaches you regardless... and this is just my opinion but you could have asked the buyer to return in another box if that was a major issue. I don't know if you can deduct anything if you're not a top rated seller, but even if you are you still may not have a case if the box wasn't considered an actual part of the item. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Return - How much should I deduct for a damage to a original box?

I suppose you figure out the BIN price you can get for the shoes and deduct whatever it is you will be losing on the next sale.

If you use the refund deduction option, eBay will not refund your final value fees.

You offer Free Returns so the refund deduction option should be in play.  

The buyer can go ahead and dispute the refund deduction and get their money from eBay. I have heard in the past that it is a slam dunk for the buyer.

Posting ID
Message 3 of 3
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: