cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently got scammed twice Buyer claiming they received an empty box Apple Macbook Air

Empty Box Scam from Buyers. The Scammer will have a new account about 2 months old. History of purchases are inexpensive items worth $5 or less. 

The Buyer Scammer will file a return and claim the package they received was empty.  After this, You will never hear from the buyer ever again even if you message them multiple times. Once the return expires they will call and send Ebay customer service a Police report that they filed. Ebay team will then close the case immediately and refund the Scammer. It does not matter if there is signature confirmation and tracking number that shows the weight of the box during transit.  Their policy is Police report overrides the Tracking information. 

I got scammed twice down $2k in two months. Both are Macbook Air Laptops worth $1k each. Don't be like me. Be Smart. 

Make sure you insured your packages specially if they are high value items. Ship only with UPS and Fedex. I used USPS the first time and USPS insurance claims department wanted the buyer to go to the postal office to show the the empty package to a postal worker for proof it was empty. They will never go to the Postal office because they will never respond to your messages.  They also will not send pictures of the package. 

I've been going back and forth with Ebay with my two cases and I cannot win. I could never speak to a customer service representative in the US main land. They always connect me to a call center in the Philippines. 

Ebay will never show you the police report, they will never confirm if it was real or not. They will always side with the Buyer no matter what. 

I Google the buyers address and its a Hotel not a residence.  

Remember Police report overrides Tracking information. Buyer will get their refund.

Your best bet is to file an insurance claim with Fedex or UPS and hope and pray you get your money back. 

Scammer will be reading this as well.. they're getting smarter and we are losing. Ebay always side with them. 

This makes me want to quit selling on Ebay but I have no choice, I need income. 

Good Luck!  

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Recently got scammed twice Buyer claiming they received an empty box Apple Macbook Air

AND this is why casual sellers CANNOT sell these types of items on here.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Re: Recently got scammed twice Buyer claiming they received an empty box Apple Macbook Air

Ebay needs to do an authentication program, like with the sneakers and the designer purses and the high end everything here for casual sellers.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Photos mean nothing they can be altered.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Ebay introduces NEW APPLE PRODUCTS AUTHENTICATION PROGRAM, no fakes, no problems quarenteed. 

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

SMALL claims court file it.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

If it is a scammer, 90 percent of the time the police reports will be faked: If eBay says a report was filed get a copy: 

It is possible some one in the shipping system is stealing such...Unlikely but possible.

In any case you need to file a fraud and theft your self with proper law enforcement, and through the shipper. You will need the serial number the adress it was shipped to the amount sold for include the shipping cost and of course user name and real name sent to etc...

If a faked report is also used;  law enforcement do not like faked law enforcement: they will take the time to go after such.

Check the address before shipping high dollar items. If freight forward: do not ship until customer says it is freight forward: Contrary to some: unless they say it is to be forwarded: you have no protection....

If need be cancel the sell due to address.

Also remember rule no 1:

If you can not afford to lose the item and the money do not list it on the Internets....

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Good news, I got the refund on one of the case. They probably verified the police reports? I dont know.

But The other case which is also a Macbook pro empty box scam was Denied! Is Ebay also scamming me too?? Ebay do not want to provide me the police reports! They know its fake they just dont want to refund me because its a high value item.

and guess what? I went back to check on the Buyers and both of them are NO MORE registered user of Ebay!!

IS THERE A LAWYER OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP!! PLEASE!

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

Apple products bring them "out of the woodwork".  You might want to find other items to sell as I suspect you will encounter more "empty" boxes. 

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

Sorry, I know you like the higher dollar, but your best off selling computers elsewhere.  If you want to keep selling here.  Charge more, and get a Currier service to deliver, where they must open box there.  You can pay the service to do this, and that they buyer signs off on this.  So, then they can open a damage claim, but, they have to use the same currier service to return, and they will be busted by service. Show the higher cost of your shipping, and put it in your listing you will be using this service and they agree to pay this amount for return costs.  You can have these options.  And most scammers will just pass you by.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

I see where you are coming from. Few years ago, I sold on Ebay. Had great feedback, etc. Had 4 or five buyers, made false claims, even had physical evidence, to prove that buyer was dishonest. Was even covered under the Ebay seller protection policy. Yet, Ebay sided with the scammer. I removed all my items, and stopped selling and buying on Ebay.

Recently, was hearing alot about, how great Ebay was, do to changes and Ebay backing sellers. I started selling again. Within in 3 weeks, had a buyer (scammer) request a return/refund. Item was as described. Buyer made statement, that buyer made the mistake (did not read the description, in listing). I called Ebay, spoke with representative, who said, I did not have to accept return nor give refund, do to buyer mistake and that I was protected by seller policy. Representative said, I should accept return (buyer was responsible for paying return, Per Ebay representative) and give partial or full refund. I did give a refund and requested item to be returned. Buyer refused to return item. Ebay has closed case. 

If there was any intelligence or common sense, in the Ebay representatives, etc. they should have noticed, buyer requested to return item, because buyer decided they did not want the item.

I am out an item and money. My selling, as for all sellers, is what supports Ebay and makes Ebay a business. Ebay is as corrupt and dishonest as a scamming buyer.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: