cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received broken glass lamp shade - seller wants me to return it...?

Hello, I purchased a lamp.  The glass shade was received in dozens of pieces.   

Seller does not accept returns.

I provided many photos of the damaged glass to seller via a "Return" request indicating the item arrived damaged.   

Seller wants me to return item.         

Am I allowed to knowingly ship broken glass via USPS?

This is my posting user ID.
I have different user IDs for selling, buying and posting.
NOTE: Responders are eBay users like you that volunteer to help other users. We are not compensated by eBay.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Received broken glass lamp shade - seller wants me to return it...?

If you merely contacted the seller by message, open a return request and choose the "not as described" reason. 

When the seller accepts, they can either issue a refund without requiring a return or they can pay for a return shipping label and require you to return the item. 

If the seller chooses option to and wants the item back, you need to send it in order to get your refund.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Sure, just wrap it well so that it stays in the package.  Perhaps double box it.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@*_forum_id_* 

Return the item.  Did the seller provide you with a prepaid USPS label to put on the box to return it?  The seller is responsible for the return shipping costs.  DO NOT PAY FOR THE RETURN SHIPPING.  Insist that they provide you with a prepaid label.

DO NOT CLOSE YOUR RETURN REQUEST UNTIL YOU ARE REFUNDED.  I do not care what the seller tells you.  If you close your return request prematurely, your money back guarantee will be gone. 

Follow eBay's MBG rules.

Come back here if you need further assistance.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

No returns does not apply to items that arrive damaged or not as described.  File a case, click the item arrived damaged choice where you leave feedback.  The seller pays the the shipping if they want it back.

I suspect they are bluffing and hope you won't return it or file a case. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@*_forum_id_* wrote:

Sharps @*_forum_id_* for USPS purposes, means any object contaminated with a pathogen or that may become contaminated with a pathogen through handling or during transportation and that is also capable of cutting or penetrating skin or a packaging material. Sharps include used medical waste such as needles, syringes, scalpels, broken glass, culture slides, culture dishes, broken capillary tubes, broken rigid plastic, and exposed ends of dental wires. Sharps waste classified in Risk Group 4 is nonmailable.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@*_forum_id_* wrote:

If you want a refund you are required to if the seller wants it back.

It might not get to that point.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

just return the broken pieces as the seller has to pay the return postage. Open up a not was described case.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

You are allowed to ship broken glass back to the seller, if he insists, which it appears would be the case. Too bad he could not be satisfied with the pictures.  Does he know that he will be sending you a prepaid shipping label for you to return a box of basically trash? 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: