cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item damaged in shipping, want to keep and get repaired

So i ordered a vintage audio amplifier on ebay from a new seller for $400 that just arrived damaged. The seller put the item in a box much too large and just put in a bunch of bubble wrap but never really wrapped it or secured it so kind of bounced around and ended up bending one of the corners of the faceplate which will cost about $150 to replace. I hooked it up though and everything still works fine and would still like to keep it and get it repaired. It was shipped via usps. The box doesnt have any tears but is kind of crushed down in places on the outside.  I just received it last night and have not messaged the seller yet. So what is the best way to proceed if i want to keep the item but only with the caveat that usps will pay to have the damage repaired? Do i need to open a claim with ebay or contact usps and let ebay and the seller know whats going on? What I worry is usps, from what im told, refunds any damage claims to the original shipper and also I worry they will wait 2 weeks to make a decision and then deny the shipping damage claim. Any advice greatly appreicated

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Item damaged in shipping, want to keep and get repaired

Contact the seller first.

USPS will most likely take and keep the item if they cover the damage, they do not reimburse repair that I have ever seen.    They will not refund the postage, just the item if they approve the claim.  Sort of like being paid to break your stuff.   

I have only had two things ever get destroyed in shipping, both were very obvious damage looking at the box.   

One they approved the claim sight unseen (but it took longer than two weeks)  the other they expected the buyer to take the item and box to the post office and surrender it.    She didn't want to do that, still wanted the item, so they denied the claim.   

So I approved a return for refund and she didn't want to do that either.    Now why someone would still want a broken glass item is beyond me...so I think that one was just trying to scam me.   

You will probably have to return for refund, hand over to USPS, or keep it and do the repairs on your own.   

DO message the seller and include good pictures of any damage, and - keep the box and packing it came in!    Take photos of the damage and send to the seller as well.  

You may need to decide if you really still want the item.    Most sellers are going to offer return for refund, because damaged but I still want to keep is usually a red flag for a scam.    

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I would not expect them to pay for the repair. Worse yet, they won't pay a claim due to poor packing. 

I suggest you return it to the seller for a full refund.   You could try to work out a part refund from the seller. Just keep in mind there could be hidden damage inside and you could end up with a mess.  I would just take a refund.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

So what is the best way to proceed if i want to keep the item but only with the caveat that usps will pay to have the damage repaired?

@matthewsutton 

^^^ You'll only be disappointed, because this caveat will certainly never fly.

The best way to be made whole is to open an Not As Described Return request. The seller erred... let the seller know. 

ETA: if you really, really  want the vintage amp... it may be best to keep it. Regarding repairs, how handy/connected are you?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@matthewsutton,

"So what is the best way to proceed if i want to keep the item but only with the caveat that usps will pay to have the damage repaired?"

Unless the seller bought additional insurance, and if they shipped using Priority Mail, there is only $50 insurance on the package.  As the previous reply mentioned the USPS generally requires the surrender of the item when a claim is filed.  FYI, Only the sender can file the insurance claim, not the recipient, and it usually takes 30 days for a claim to be investigated.

In this case since the seller did not actually wrap the amp in bubble wrap, chances are the USPS will not accept responsibility for the damage.  They will say even if the box had some denting, if the amp had been packed properly no damage would have occurred.

" So what is the best way to proceed if i want to keep the item".

First forget your caveat that the USPS pays for the repair, they do not do that.  If you can replace the face plate yourself get a the prices for a replacement part, then contact the seller tell them what happened and provide photos of the amp and box, along with a screen shot or scan of the replacement part cost. If you are taking the amp to a shop, you will need a scan or clear photo of the repair estimate from them, to add to the message. Ask them if they will consider issuing a partial refund for the replacement part or repair.

Seller's do not have to accept giving a partial refund, if yours will not, file an item not as described dispute. The seller is responsible for sending you a return shipping label within 3 days. You will have 5 working days from the date the label is sent for you to arrange pick up or to take it to a P.O..  Read the terms of ebay's money back guarantee (MBG) so you know what the policy is, and what its time frames are.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@matthewsutton wrote:

if it is good enough to keep

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: