cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to return an item which was sent by seller even though the sale was cancelled?

I purchased an item but then noticed that the delivery date was over a month away, so immediately cancelled it.  Shortly thereafter I received notification that the cancellation was accepted, the money was returned, and the next day, there was an email that the item had shipped.  Sure enough, the item which was supposed to take too long arrived in just a couple of days.  Unfortunately I had already ordered the same thing from another vendor elsewhere immediately after the cancellation was confirmed.  Even more unfortunately, there is no option to "return" visible in the web interface for a sale which was cancelled.  (It does have the tracking information, and that shows that the item was delivered.)  

I really want to send this back to the seller, after all, I did not pay for it, but ebay's web site seems not to be coded to provide a return option for "cancelled but delivered anyway".    I would ask ebay to fix this glitch but could not find any way to notify them of this issue. 

So how should I proceed?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: How to return an item which was sent by seller even though the sale was cancelled?

The honest thing to do would be to mail it back to the sender, using the address on the package. It would be on your dime.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Re: How to return an item which was sent by seller even though the sale was cancelled?

@davidmathog wrote:

Even more unfortunately, there is no option to "return" visible in the web interface for a sale which was cancelled.

I would ask ebay to fix this glitch but could not find any way to notify them of this issue. 

It's not a glitch: Your order was canceled and a refund was issued, so no return is expected.

Just write Return to Sender on the label and give it back to the carrier. There's no demerit as there's no case.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@davidmathog 

Contact the seller and see what they want to do?

They might send you a prepaid shipping label or want you to pay to return it.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

If they wanted it back, they would have contacted you.  I suspect it would cost as much as the item is worth for them to ship it back to they just let it go.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The vendors (both the ebay and other one) appear to be some sort of middlemen.  The item actually shipped directly from its manufacturer in both cases.  Not giving anything away, that was Covercraft and the item was a sunshade for a car.  I guess I could ship it directly back to Covercraft, but if I do that who knows if the vendor will be reimbursed by the manufacturer.  Or maybe this was entirely Covercraft's error?  In that case I can just deal with them.

Also, if anybody at ebay proper is reading this, please note that the current web interface provides no way to deal with this issue.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

After going back and forth by email and phone the vendor emailed me a prepaid USPS return label.   Mailed it to them a few days ago and tracking shows that it was delivered.  So it is resolved now.  However, there was no way to fix it through ebay's interfaces.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@davidmathog wrote:

the current web interface provides no way to deal with this issue.

There is no issue to deal with. You are under no obligation to do anything about it and neither is ebay because the transaction was cancelled.

Do with it whatever you like.

RTS it, message your seller and see if they want to send a return label, sell it yourself, donate it or throw it away.

All perfectly acceptable.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: