cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get eBay involved in a refund?

I recently sold an item that was listed as untested, and I said I didn't have a charger for it so I wasn't sure if it worked or not. Yesterday, the buyer sent a return request as it was not charging. If I get eBay involved, will it be in my favor because I listed it as untested, and the buyer knew that?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Do not ask Ebay to step in, they see that as a non responsive seller and will immediately refund the buyer and give you a defect. The 'I dont know if it works' description wont protect you. Provide a return label to the buyer and refund after return.. If you dont want the item back, just refund.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I personally feel like if you buy something listed as untested and the seller says they don't know if it even works; you should be stuck with it as a buyer... but eBay policy doesn't necessarily see it that way.

If they opened a not as described case you'll have no choice but to refund and pay the return shipping which should be fairly cheap for that item. I don't think not as described is accurate because you said you didn't know if it worked... they gambled and lost. It's best to sell only things that work. I've even seen sellers lose cases where they clearly stated an item did not work and it was listed for parts only.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You won't like the result if you get Ebay involved.

No, it won't be in your favor.

They'll refund the buyer from your account, let them keep the item, keep their fees and give you a defect for not handling the return.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

"I personally feel like if you buy something listed as untested and the seller says they don't know if it even works; you should be stuck with it as a buyer... but eBay policy doesn't necessarily see it that way."

This is what the seller actually said in his description.Personally, I dont think any buyer should be 'stuck'' with an item when the seller doesnt know what he is selling.

"Screen is cracked, looks like it still could work. I don't have a charger for it."

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

It would have been had to be sold as non working for parts only.    Sellers almost never have to go their way if eBay gets involved.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@susbaconhairman1095 

------------------------------------

Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

"I personally feel like if you buy something listed as untested and the seller says they don't know if it even works; you should be stuck with it as a buyer... but eBay policy doesn't necessarily see it that way."

This is what the seller actually said in his description.Personally, I dont think any buyer should be 'stuck'' with an item when the seller doesnt know what he is selling.

"Screen is cracked, looks like it still could work. I don't have a charger for it."

LOL! I don't know whether it's that item or if it's the listing of the "Oura Ring Gen 3 Size 12 - Untested." In that listing, the seller states, "I do not know if this thing works as I don't have a charger" but @susbaconhairman1095 listed it as "used" and had the seller read the condition description in the item specifics, they'd see that it states that used items "may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended."

@susbaconhairman1095 Please learn from this experience that you can't disclaim your responsibility of knowing that your items will function as they should.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 8
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: