cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback Extortion/ Scathing Negative Review

I have a buyer yelling and screaming at me in my messages because they claim that the old used climbing helmet I sold them smells like mold/ mildew. I washed the used helmet with warm soapy water and it was very much dry way before I sold it. It was not moldy or covered in mildew. All they had to do was ask to return it for a refund. Instead, they are yelling at me by my first name, questioning the quality of all my other climbing gear and threatening me with negative feedback if I do not accept the return. I have no problem accepting the return if they return the helmet in the very condition they received it. I don't t appreciate the abuse this buyer has placed upon me. I did report them and blocked them, as well, so they can't buy anything else from me, but I can't help but think that Ebay needs to step in to ensure that i'm not being extorted.

Another worry of mine is that this person may have taken something from the helmet and replaced it with a broken part from their own personal helmet. They did say they needed it for parts. I dont know. 

What else can I do?  

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Feedback Extortion/ Scathing Negative Review

Have you told this buyer to open an item not as described and have you explained to them how that will work?

If so, quit corresponding with them and send the return label.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Smells are not part of the MBG but even so you are not going to get ebay to enforce that against a buyer.

All you can do is take the return.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I accepted the buyers return and im waiting for them to send it back exactly how they received it. I didn't send them a return label and I don't think I will.

Right from Ebay's site:

Buyers aren't allowed to:

• Threaten to use feedback or detailed seller ratings (DSRs) in an attempt to force sellers into meeting their demands. For example, buyers can't threaten to leave negative feedback unless the seller pays for return shipping, when the seller's return policy in the listing didn't state free returns
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

If the  buyer  opened an item not as described case, how can a seller get away with not sending a prepaid return label?  

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Some people are sensitive to mold, it can potentially be very harmful and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Washing mold in soapy water isn't always sufficient, you may need to use bleach.

If you can offer a return label and initiate it on your end it may help.

---
Bolt with his head stuck"Turn and pull, just turn and pull, you'll be outta there in no time."
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@thecharliestore 

"There are many detailed pics so that you can assess it's condition yourself."

Since your description says for the buyer to assess the condition, the buyer has done so and is sending your helmet back. 

You might have been better off just refunding and saved yourself the return shipping label cost.  It was a $22 used helmet.....

There is nothing else to do other than refund upon return of the item.

Posting ID
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

There are many detailed pics so they can assess the condition of the helmet visually before buying. I did not mention a smell because I did not smell anything. The helmet was washed and dried properly and stored in a cool dry place. I have no problem accepting the return and refunding his money if he sends it back the way he received it. I am not sending him a return label because no where was it mentioned that I would. The listing even said no returns despite having accepted it.

So anyone can return anything no matter what if they claim it smells? Because it can't be proven and who's going to include "may have a displeasing smell" to the description of every item they sell? Maybe I should do that. 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

My comments will be in red within your post: 

@thecharliestore wrote:

There are many detailed pics so they can assess the condition of the helmet visually before buying.

Pictures don't show a mold smell! 

I did not mention a smell because I did not smell anything. The helmet was washed and dried properly and stored in a cool dry place. 

Just because you don't smell mold doesn't mean it's not there. You could be used to the smell because you lived with the item. (Smokers don't smell how bad their house, clothes and breath smells!)

I have no problem accepting the return and refunding his money if he sends it back the way he received it. I am not sending him a return label because no where was it mentioned that I would. The listing even said no returns despite having accepted it.

If the buyer opens a NAD (not as described) return request, you will HAVE to pay return shipping if you want the helmet back or ebay will issue the refund (from your money) and let the buyer keep the item free of charge! 

So anyone can return anything no matter what if they claim it smells? Because it can't be proven and who's going to include "may have a displeasing smell" to the description of every item they sell? Maybe I should do that. 

Buyers can open a NAD request and lie about the reason. My suggestion is that if there's any chance of odors, mention it in the listing, for example, "this item has been in storage or years. It may have stale or musty odors to which you may be sensitive." 

This won't prevent a return request but it's best to disclose any possible issues. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@thecharliestore 

Normally, eBay will provide the label automatically if the buyer claims item is defective or not as described in any way. The seller is then charged for the label once the label is scanned by the carrier.

Your description of the item matters not, if the buyer files any type of Item is Not as Described return case. Yes, buyers can claim anything they want to claim. They are protected. If not by eBay should something go south, then by PayPal or the credit card they used when they purchased.

You sold used head gear. Of course it is going to smell to someone else.

What exactly does the return case show when you enter into the case details?

Here is how a Item Not As Described return case works:

If the buyer opens a Item Is Not As Described type return case, you have choices.

1. You can refund the buyer now and let the buyer keep the item. eBay refunds the final value fees on the sale to you, the seller.

2. If you want the item back before refunding, accept the return and make sure a prepaid return label is available in the return case. The buyer returns the item and then you refund in full. eBay refunds the final value fees on the sale to you, the seller.

Seller protection:
Top Rated Sellers who accept 30 day returns and sellers who offer free 30 day returns can do partial refunds, up to 50%, if the item is returned in a condition different than when you shipped it.

3. Do nothing, contest the case or allow eBay to handle the case, eBay will close the return, refund the buyer and allow the buyer to keep the item. You also receive a serious defect on your seller account for having eBay step in and refund, thus doing your job as a seller. And, eBay keeps the final value fees for the transaction.

Here is an eBay link with just about all you need to know.
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115

Posting ID
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

That's not right. I lose some money because they can claim anything they want? That's not fair at all. 

Just because the helmet is used, doesn't mean it would have a strong smell. I made sure that it was thoroughly cleaned because it's been on my head many times over the years. There's no way I would of sold a dirty moldy helmet and I would of never guessed that this would happen. I sold that helmet for real cheap because it was used and scratched and I just wanted to get rid of it fast because I couldn't see myself just trashing it. When he returns it I'll probably just trash it now, but not until I inspect it first. I'll probably just trash my other helmet as well. To be quite honest, I'm thinking I'm just going to remove the rest of my listing and just leave them up on Mercari. I'm selling all my stuff cheap for those who need, not because I need the money. You would think that people would be more appreciative. 

Another person left neutral feed back saying "just another average purchase". What does that even mean? It was a wild country nut tool. A metal tool with a lanyard attached to it. In very good condition for HALF the price of a new one and that's what I get. 

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

I'm selling all my stuff cheap for those who need, not because I need the money. You would think that people would be more appreciative. 

Thank you for your selfless service to others.  What a shining example you are.  🙄

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@thecharliestore wrote "That's not right. I lose some money because they can claim anything they want? That's not fair at all."

There are times one can think online sales are not fair. Unfair as you discern it in this transaction is your opinion. Your buyer had an opinion as well. The buyer's opinion is ALWAYS what matters. 

Do you really think buyers on Mercari cannot return items for the same reason?

Don't ever let a neutral feedback ruin a day. Same with a negative.  Leave the neutral alone. Respond to negatives with a highly professional response that makes you look like a champ, without accusing the buyer of anything. 

I think you might have much better luck with the other hardware you have listed. 

Best of luck on down the line, wherever you list.

Posting ID
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@thecharliestore wrote:

I'm selling all my stuff cheap for those who need, not because I need the money. You would think that people would be more appreciative. 

If you want to help people in need, why not do the REALLY charitable thing and donate to a 501(c)(3) charity like SA, GW, church thrift or the like? THAT is helping people in need, especially since you don't need the money. 

I know that most legitimate charities don't even accept items like used helmets, cribs, high chairs, mattresses, pillows, etc. for health and safety liability concerns. 

What if the person who used your helmet fell off the bike and had severe TBI because the old and well-used helmet was no longer protective? You would be opening yourself up to serious lawsuits! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@thecharliestore wrote:

I didn't send them a return label and I don't think I will.

You might want to think again.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: