cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damaged Return - How to handle it?

Buyer returned the order, which contains 4 items. One of the items is damaged and cannot be resold. Partial refund is not an option; ebay is only allowing me to provide a full refund.

I have been informed by an ebay customer service rep that I can file an appeal with ebay after giving the buyer a full refund, but that this appeal will only get my a final value credit, not any other credits or reimbursements for the damaged item.

How can I best handle this situation in a way that does not damage my seller metrics and that will get me a reimbursement credit (on top of my final value fee) for the damaged item?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Damaged Return - How to handle it?

In order to qualify for the 50% deduction you need to offer free returns. Here is the policy:

An item is returned after it was used or damaged by the buyer

Sellers who offer free returns and who are not Below Standard are eligible for this protection

• You can deduct up to 50% from the refund to recover the lost value of the item
  • We will take care of any issues directly with the buyer for you, including removing any negative and neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in service metrics

If we are asked to step in and help, you will no longer be able to issue a partial refund to the buyer. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I'm afraid you can't. This platform offers a money back guarantee to anyone who purchases an item on it. The only method a seller has to hold up to 50% on a returned item that was damaged by the buyer is if you are a TRS and offer free 30 day returns. Sounds like you don't so you have no choice but to fully refund. Depending on the amount of the item in question you can take the buyer to small claims, but the cost would need to be high enough to make that trouble worth it. 

The return system here is all automated so you can appeal but most likely it will get rejected. This is a he said/she said type of scenario. Buyer will claim not to have damaged the item and you cannot prove they did. This platform will not engage in these types of arguments so they side for the buyer. It's simply a part of online selling. I hope this wasn't an expensive item for you. Try to make it up with the other three that you can resell. Best of luck to you....

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I see that you are TRS. I also see some of your current listings offer 30-Day Returns, yet some are 'No Returns'.

Was  this a 'No Returns' listing/sale? If it was one of your listings that offer 30-Day Returns, you'll be able to make a reduction at the Refund screen when it appears... with no metrics ding. Simply slide the toggle, enter the amount and submit.

Edit to add: if it was a 'No Returns' listing, I'd recommend that you revisit your Return policy on all listings...

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

This was a "30 days returns | Buyer pays for return shipping" listing. However, there is no option in the refund window to offer a partial. The only option is for a full refund.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

In order to qualify for the 50% deduction you need to offer free returns. Here is the policy:

Sellers who offer free returns and who are not Below Standard are eligible for this protection

• You can deduct up to 50% from the refund to recover the lost value of the item
  • We will take care of any issues directly with the buyer for you, including removing any negative and neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in service metrics

If we are asked to step in and help, you will no longer be able to issue a partial refund to the buyer. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

So "buyer pays return shipping" is preventing me from the option of partial refund? Seems counter-intuitive. I suppose I will now have to change it to free shipping for future orders.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Yes, that's what the policy says. Free returns means free returns for any reason, including remorse returns. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@pristine_deals I have always offered free returns on all of my listings.

I had one return in all of 2021.

I had one return in all of 2020.

I had one return in all of 2019. 

All three of those were remorse returns, not a single INAD on my account. It was like that in prior years but you get my point. Not a single negative or harsh exchange of words. 

My buyers don't open false claims against me because I offer free returns, so there is no incentive for them to lie. If they changed their mind I tell them to just ship it back. I always end up reselling the item returned, and usually for a slightly higher amount, which makes up for the return shipping. It's up to you and only a decision you can make as it's your inventory, but wanted to share my thoughts and own experience. Best of luck to you....

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@pristine_deals wrote:

So "buyer pays return shipping" is preventing me from the option of partial refund? Seems counter-intuitive. I suppose I will now have to change it to free shipping for future orders.

@pristine_deals 

I believe that the info in post 5 that being quoted is for non top rated sellers.   As @mtgraves7984 mentioned,   since you are a trs you should be able to give a partial return for a damaged item IF you offer free returns OR offer 30 day returns on that listing. I'm not sure why you aren't seeing that option.

Top Rated Sellers (TRS) who reside in the US or Canada and offer 30 day or longer returns are protected on items listed on eBay.com when:

• We will work directly with the buyer to resolve any issues associated with the item being returned, including removing any negative and neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in service metrics

If we are asked to step in and help, you will no longer be able to issue a partial refund to the buyer. Learn more about refunding the buyer.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@pristine_deals wrote:

@pristine_deals 

I believe that the info in post 5 that being quoted is for non top rated sellers.   As @mtgraves7984 mentioned,   since you are a trs you should be able to give a partial return for a damaged item IF you offer free returns OR offer 30 day returns on that listing. I'm not sure why you aren't seeing that option.

Top Rated Sellers (TRS) who reside in the US or Canada and offer 30 day or longer returns are protected on items listed on eBay.com when:

• We will work directly with the buyer to resolve any issues associated with the item being returned, including removing any negative and neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in service metrics

If we are asked to step in and help, you will no longer be able to issue a partial refund to the buyer. Learn more about refunding the buyer.

@pristine_deals 

Yes... if  it was a listing where you, a TRS, offered 30-Day Returns, the option would have been available to you upon return of the item. I know it works... I've used it. Note that I sat tight and didn't react to the refund until the item was returned.

But upon return, I slid the toggle, reduced the refund and submitted. Done.

I think the nuance (listed in the posts by @lamber9347 and @pjcdn2005) is where they 'got' you... if, in fact, you were "informed by an ebay customer service rep" about the situation. (That implies that you reached out to eBay.) I think that action  may have been considered that eBay was "asked to step in and help".

Maybe you can try an appeal if it does go South, but I'm hoping the 'toggle' option is available when the time comes to actually refund. I've not ever appealed one, so can't speak as to how that goes. Fingers crossed for you.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: