cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damaged Item

If a buyer receives an item that was damaged in shipping they should have to provide the seller with detailed pictures of the packaging, damaged item, etc.  This would allow the seller to open a claim with the shipping company to resolve the issue.  Ebay just allows the buyer to return the item to the seller.  This is a costly expense for the seller - double shipping and not being allowed to resolve the problem.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Damaged Item

They should, but they are not required to and they don't have to help with any insurance claim.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@cellarbuy1legacy wrote:

If a buyer receives an item that was damaged in shipping they should have to provide the seller with detailed pictures of the packaging, damaged item, etc.  This would allow the seller to open a claim with the shipping company to resolve the issue.  Ebay just allows the buyer to return the item to the seller.  This is a costly expense for the seller - double shipping and not being allowed to resolve the problem.

You have a fundamental misunderstandig of how ebay works. I would suggest some deep reading on ebay policy before you sell another item.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

If a seller does not care to hassle with buyers concerning damaged items and attempting to file insurance claims, the seller can pack items appropriately to avoid damage. 

Posting ID
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Buyers do not have to send a photo of something damaged.

However, when they do it seems they are being a very more honest in what has happened. Why would a seller want something returned like broken glass and such. Seller should do the right thing and just refund the buyer.

A seller can file for damaged items in the shipping but chances are it's rather hard to collect as well as a long process to try to collect for damage. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I have in a disclaimer in every listing that a picture may be necessary for a refund.  When someone contacts me about damage they often include a picture or I request a picture.  That said,  including a picture when you make a claim through USPS often doesn't result in money back anymore.  The satisfaction of knowing that the item actually broke can be mentally helpful though.   

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Hi @cellarbuy1legacy 

Sellers can certainly request a photo from the buyer when a return request is opened citing damage.  Most buyers are reasonable and would happily provide a photo if told it would help the seller decide whether they want the item returned before issuing a refund.

I know from reading buyers’ posts that many are required to submit a photo before being able to file a claim … but I don’t know how eBay decides whether or not to make this requirement.

[Keep in mind that not every buyer has access to a camera or cellphone … so may not be able to comply.]

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I always provide photo evidence on my own accord, but I don't have to and you can't rightfully withhold any refund if someone doesn't. Only people who don't know the policies will let you get away with that. Since I only return when something is not as it was described; eBay asks for a photo to open a case anyway. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: