cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer returned a different item

I had a buyer open a return for a phone and when I got the returned packaged I already knew it was not the phone I sent as it was a small flat envelope. I recorded myself opening the package and shows the package just had three pieces of paper. I asked eBay to step in and provided pictures of everything the package, Fedex tracking showing the package just weighed 0.1 lbs and a picture from Fedex showing the package is that white thing envelope. I get an email the same day regarding the case stating "I contacted customer service to reach out to me and they call stating "We understand that you received your item in a different condition than when you shipped it, but unfortunately we couldn't determine that this was caused by the buyer, or that this was something in the buyer's control."

I reach out to eBay via phone call and they they said "this is started protocol because the tracking shows delivered, but do not worry just appeal and an agent will look at all the evidence" I appeal the case and get the same response. "We understand that you received your item in a different condition than when you shipped it, but unfortunately we couldn't determine that this was caused by the buyer, or that this was something in the buyer's control."

I thought the video evidence of me opening the package was more than enough, but on top of all the other evidence I provided this is starting to show sellers have 0 protection and buyers can commit fraud and get away with it. What more can you do? eBay already claims can no longer appeal it since the first appeal was denied.  

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I just had the same exact experience like yours this evening. Mine was an LED/UV lamp for doing nails which was worth $175. I started the appeal and am still waiting for their response but I'm afraid that I will lose the money too. I just realized now that this was the 4th time within a month this has happened. I start to suspect that they all came from the same source, but I checked and they all have different information. Different usernames, different shipping addresses, different phone numbers, etc... The only common thing was that all these buyers have 0 feedback when they placed the order with me. They are all brand new accounts, but I never pay attention to that detail of my buyers. Is there anyway we can identify scammed buyers and avoid this kind of fraud to happen?

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I am starting to see why now I see top rated sellers state in their listing "if you have less than 20 feedback message us prior to buying" and sadly this has happened twice in a week and none of the accounts were new, but they both had 20 or less feedback. It seems like eBay does not have any seller protection and after spending hours on the phone to them basically being told "take the L and move on". 

My appeal and cases legit get a response within an hour or two which tells me I think they just have some sort of AI handling all this.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Video evidence is only good for those who already know the truth. eBay CS reps have no clue if what you show them is accurate or not, so they err on the side of caution and decide to refund the person who spent money on an item 99% of the time.

It's very easy to fake video evidence and even if it isn't faked it can't show everything that happened. You could record yourself waiting for the carrier and opening the package in front of the carrier when it arrives, but they don't know what you actually shipped in the first place and they don't know if you could have any arrangement with your witness. People do all kinds of outlandish stuff for a buck...

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Call Judge Judy, seriously! I just saw an episode where a buyer paid 4500 for a car and the seller never gave it to them. They went on Judge Judy and she hammered the seller as being a scammer and awarded the buyer his 4500 back.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@royalbeauty2418 

@taaselectronics 

If I suspect some sort of fraud on a return, I have the return package held at the post office and have the postal clerk open the package or I open it in front of them so it can be documented if the return item is not what was sent to the buyer. Just giving this info in case u want to use it for future instances.

In the meantime,

Contact eBay via their social media sites with a private message:

https://Facebook.com/ebay

AND-OR 

https://Twitter.com/askebay

Great customer service on both

Also, even if u don't do social media, u can just open one or both accounts for eBay purposes only

Good Luck!

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I agree, but the buyer admitted to getting the item in eBay messages, so that kind of takes out the whole "well we dont know what you sent him"

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

This still comes to the part where eBay will hit you with "how do we know that isn't what you original sent the buyer" or would it not? How have your cases ended doing that?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@taaselectronics wrote:

This still comes to the part where eBay will hit you with "how do we know that isn't what you original sent the buyer" or would it not? How have your cases ended doing that?

I've only had 2 in 15 years and both were resolved in my favor bc the postal worker was the witness and documented it on USPS letterhead that I sent with my appeal. Both cases were several years ago, so not sure about present day situations, but I still will continue with this protocol.

Since, I offer free returns, etc in order to deduct up to the 50% if the item is different or in a different condition as sent. Not great, but better than losing 100%.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I had another case where they sent it to a different address with the same zip code and had USPS confirm this is what happened and still lost that case. Not sure how good your method would work now, but hopefully it is better than the outcomes I have been getting. They didn't accept my letter from USPS stating the buyer altered. This is a different case that happened earlier this year and sadly they favored in the buyer still.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@stuff4divas 

eBay on social media asked me to get this same letterhead, but sadly every USPS supervisors I have spoke with claim they don't write letters.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@taaselectronics wrote:

@stuff4divas 

eBay on social media asked me to get this same letterhead, but sadly every USPS supervisors I have spoke with claim they don't write letters.

@taaselectronics  that's unfortunate, i don't have that problem with my post office.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@stuff4divas 

What do you say specifically? Also was it hand written or something they typed up and printed? 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Anytime you are a victim of this scam, make sure you file a criminal complaint with the US Postal Inspectors and ALSO the local PD of the buyer. At some point they will investigate the fraudster so it is important for everyone to file these reports.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@taaselectronics wrote:

@stuff4divas 

What do you say specifically? Also was it hand written or something they typed up and printed? 

@taaselectronics  as mentioned in my previous post, this was several years ago,

the postal worker was witness since the pkg was opened in their presence, so the email sent to me was along those lines.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: