cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer recieved item damaged from UPS, contacts me about it, but returns item without my knowledge

So for starters,

I had shipped an item using UPS (Delivered June 26th) but had arrived really damaged to the buyer, they contact me a week after receiving the item saying how damaged it was. I tell them that unfortunately there is nothing I could do on my end since the damage was severe. I asked them to contact UPS and to file a damage claim and that’s where the messages stopped (July 4th). Fast forward to today (July 14th), UPS knocks on my door and says I have a package and it’s the item I had sent. I have yet to open the package but I can hear that there is some very loose stuff inside. I’m not sure what to do, i have yet to hear anything from the buyer nor did they ever start a return through eBay, the label on the UPS box says “receiver did not want, refused delivery”, but they had originally contacted me showing me pictures of the item and had clearly opened the package. I’m afraid they may ask for a refund for the item saying they declined the delivery due to damage or such. Please let me know how I should proceed with this issue. As of now I have not received any message from buyer of ever shipping the item back to me or asking for a refund

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Buyer recieved item damaged from UPS, contacts me about it, but returns item without my knowledge

Maybe he is going to his cc for a chargeback. when the buyer told you the item was damaged, you should have told him to open a not as described case,and if you wanted the item back, provided a return label. Then you refund after return. You shouldnt have told the buyer to contact UPS for an insurance claim, thats your job as the shipper and seller of the item.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

" I’m afraid they may ask for a refund for the item saying they declined the delivery due to damage or such."

What does that mean? Of course the buyer should be refunded. No buyer should be out a penny for a broken item.When he refused delivery, he lost all buyer protection, but if he doesnt go to his cc, refunding him is the moral thing to do.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

" I tell them that unfortunately there is nothing I could do"

Not so fast, it's up to you to get it in as described condition to the buyer.  You have to make good, IE refund if lost or damaged.  The buyer does not have to deal with the shipper, their insurance or wait for any insurance claim to be paid.

Once tracking shows you received it, you have to issue a full refund. If you don't eBay will and ding your customer service rating and make you pay the selling fees.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

This platform offers a money back guarantee to all buyers. You are incorrect in several areas. When an item arrives damaged you as the seller are most definitely responsible. The tracking will now show that the item was returned to seller so you will be refunding in full to your buyer. You have no choice here. You should really read up on the MBG- link below. Best of luck to you....

eBay Money Back Guarantee policy

Message 5 of 5
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: