cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer chose "changed mind" as return. Ebay says I have to pay for return label?

A buyer wants to return my item, he chose "changed mind" and said that there was a problem with the item. I accepted the return and the buyer escalated and eBay said he had to return it at the buyer's expense for a refund. Then 3 days later I receive an email from eBay saying that the buyer selected the wrong return reason and if I did not provide a label he would get a full refund and keep the item.

Does this sound right? I've never had this happen before.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It does sound like a new thing. Especially since sellers have been told by CS and other ebay staff that it's ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES to change the reason on a return request once it has started. Does this mean Ebay will be able to correct the problem for the seller when a buyer opens a return for the wrong reason? We won't have to get a defect when a buyer admits he opened an INAD when it was actually buyer's remorse?

(Of course these are rhetorical questions as I know what their answer will be.)

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Oh Great, sounds like they have figured out another way to escrew the seller. The buyer probably got a hold of a sympathetic CS rep and convinced them to change the reason.  Nice.

I accepted the return and the buyer escalated and eBay said he had to return it at the buyer's expense for a refund. Then 3 days later I receive an email from eBay saying that the buyer selected the wrong return reason and if I did not provide a label he would get a full refund and keep the item.

Never head of this that e-bay would allow the buyer to change from one reason to another for the return.  If this is part of the New/New - then e-bay just needs to remove the "reason" for the return and do a re-set with Sellers that you are responsible for the return, regardless.  Would make us re-think anything really large or heavy from a return postage perspective.  I really hope this is some weird glitch.  (Although I do think buyers caught on some time ago to select NAD as reason so return shipping would be on the Seller).

Can you post the email you received with names/private data redacted?  (believe you, just wonder how this is worded exactly on the "escalation" and change made for the Buyer)

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

BOHICA.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@usgamecollector wrote:

A buyer wants to return my item, he chose "changed mind" and said that there was a problem with the item. I accepted the return and the buyer escalated and eBay said he had to return it at the buyer's expense for a refund. Then 3 days later I receive an email from eBay saying that the buyer selected the wrong return reason and if I did not provide a label he would get a full refund and keep the item.

Does this sound right? I've never had this happen before.

Yes, it can happen if the buyer chooses the wrong reason. In your case the buyer said there was a problem with the item.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

Can you post the email you received with names/private data redacted?  (believe you, just wonder how this is worded exactly on the "escalation" and change made for the Buyer)

The first email after buyer escalated:

Thanks for trying to work with the buyer. Unfortunately, it looks like the issue wasn't resolved. We reviewed this case and decided to ask the buyer to return the item to you.

Once tracking information confirms that the item has been delivered to you, the buyer will be issued a refund. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping. The refund amount will be recovered from you by eBay.

This case will not affect your seller performance.

The second email 3 days later:

I'm contacting you about the return request filed for XXXX by XXXXX

I've reviewed the details of this request and found that the buyer is claiming the item was delivered even though they already have requested for cancelation.

When a buyer receives the wrong item, it arrives damaged, it doesn't match the listing description, or the buyer files a return within your return policy, they can return it to you for a full refund (including original shipping costs). Because the reason is outside of the buyer's control or within your return policy, we're also asking you to pay for return shipping.

I've placed the request on hold for 4 days to give you time to arrange return shipping with the buyer. Please note that if you don't resolve the issue by April 7th, we'll issue the buyer a full refund on your behalf without requiring the item to be returned.

There are several ways to provide return shipping for your buyer. You could, for example, purchase a prepaid shipping label from your preferred shipping service and then send the label to the buyer throughMy eBay messages. If you choose this option, be sure to purchase a shipping label sufficient to cover the item's return.

To learn more about other options for return shipping, please visit the return shipping options page.

I’m glad I had the opportunity to clarify the situation.

Thanks,

Message 7 of 7
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: