cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Cherry-Picked Baseball Cards and Returned Damaged Ones To Me

I recently sold a set of 1974 Kelloggs 3-D Baseball cards.  These cards are prone to have cracks.  The set I sold had one card with cracks and I detailed that in my listing.  The other cards were in great shape: No cracks.  I included photos of all cards.  I packaged them carefully and mailed them off upon payment.  The buyer notified me that many of the cards had cracks and wanted a refund.  I immediately sent him a return shipping label.  It took him about two weeks to send the package back to me.  I received it today and, sure enough, seven more cards have very bad cracks in them.  Upon looking at my photos, there is NO WAY these are the same cards.  The cracks in the damaged cards would have shown up in my photos.  I suspect he replaced lesser quality cards in the package he sent back to me.  Do I have any recourse, but to refund him the full amount?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you are TRS and have 30 day returns, I believe you deduct up to 50% of the refund if item returned is 'less than' what you sent. 

Other than that; it happens and sadly you can't prove it so nothing can be done. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Well, that is a shame. To your question, I don't see how you can reduce the amount of the refund. Dang it.

To have that option, you have to either offer Free Returns, or be a TRS (which you are) who offers 30-Day (or better) Returns (which you don't).

Moving forward, I would suggest that you revisit your 14-Day Return policy. I use 30-Day Returns just for (the random time like this) when I might need that protection. Sorry you're going through this.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Unfortunately,  sellers have to deal with dishonest people when selling online.   eBay's return policies almost always favor buyers because we have difficulty proving what we shipped.  You do need to report the buyer and put them on your blocked bidder list.  This is also mail fraud.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Yes, there is something you can do, you can prove it, from now on anyways. Always, I video record myself packing and unpacking items every single time. Its annoying but it saves a lot of face with scammers and thieves . Just remember to delete videos when transaction is 100% complete to avoid them clogging up your mobile phone storage space

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@ccuriel    I video record myself packing and unpacking items every single time

As I stated above, you CANNOT submit any 'Video' or 'Pictures' to eBay as any type of proof. They will not use it, will not accept it. You are best off stop doing that, waste of time.

They can be edited, could be of another day, similar item but not THAT item.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@julycoaron wrote:

Do I have any recourse, but to refund him the full amount?

not unless you are TRS or TRS+

You get to eat it unfortunately.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@ccuriel wrote:

Yes, there is something you can do, you can prove it, from now on anyways. Always, I video record myself packing and unpacking items every single time. Its annoying but it saves a lot of face with scammers and thieves . 

You might scare some noob buyer but ebay won't ever look at your video as proof of anything to decide the outcome of an INAD.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: