cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekly Community Chat, May 10th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community, 

Join us today at 1pm Pacific for a Community chat. There isn't a set topic so feel free to ask us your buying and selling questions. 

If you are a small business, don't forget to submit your entry for our SHINE awards, the closing date for entries is fast approaching and we've got some fantastic prizes!!

Thank you.

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 136
latest reply
135 REPLIES 135

Re: Weekly Community Chat, May 10th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay

I appreciate that the jump to last post was reinstated.  Reading the boards are a bit easier now.

Message 106 of 136
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@llllady wrote:

@Anonymous

Hi, Trinton...

Still looking for some resolution with the seller using the red/blue hearts in his/her titles.  I see the violation continues. 

Is there a reason why, after about three weeks and numerous reports, why the seller has at least not been told to stop this practice?  As you know, it is a straight-forward browse and search manipulation policy violation.

At this point, if nothing is going to be done, then I'm sure other sellers would be extremely interested in knowing it is okay to do this so they, too, can have attention drawn to their listings, myself included.

Thanks.

Hi @llllady - We aren't able to go into any details regarding actions taken on another member's account. That said, I can assure you we are addressing this and working with appropriate teams to have it handled. 

Good try!   Actions speak louder than words, and I'm not seeing any action.   heart heart heart

Well, I have seen action, but it was only when someone had my listings turned off from search for 14 days or so.   Thanks for that.  Got more things listed elsewhere.  😉

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 107 of 136
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@copper.boom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

Two weeks ago @Anonymous posted a reply at the end of chat:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Community-Chat-April-26th-1pm-PT-General-Topics/m-p/26899516#M11636

@Anonymous wrote:

We've got a lot of different policies and while we don't have a centralized area where all changes are posted, the individual Help Pages are updated. I would always recommend double-checking the policy to make sure any updates are made to the information you're providing. Thank you so much for all you do in the Community! 

I appreciate that advice was given to double-check a policy page before giving advice to another poster, however...

This response also says to me that policies and policy pages are changed directly on the policy page and the only way to know about it is by viewing the page.

As a seller I am not going to read every single policy page every day just to see if anything has changed and if my listings are suddenly no longer compliant.

Why are policy updates not posted to the Announcements area as they occur with a link to the appropriate policy page? And is this something that we can make happen go forward?

Hi @copper.boom - I can appreciate your concern on this. With how many policies we have, we wouldn't be able to post an announcement with each update. That said, we will make announcements on major changes. I simply suggest doing a quick glance over from time to time just as a refresher. 

Heidi - and that is even more concerning. With that amount of updates we should be notified. Why can't an announcement be added every 2 weeks, or even once a month with the updates?

As you said, there are so many policies and to do a "quick glance over" isn't really possible... I do a thorough read-through about once a year, and look at specific pages regularly when questions arise, but it's unreasonable to say the changes can't be announced.

@copper.boom - Updates to policies don't happen frequently and refreshing up on a policy doesn't need to happen often. It's just a best practice and I think you're doing a great job reading up on things as often as you are. 

Message 108 of 136
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

This response also says to me that policies and policy pages are changed directly on the policy page and the only way to know about it is by viewing the page.

Not only that, but as you suggest you'd have to read the entire page (or in most cases, multiple pages) to know that anything had changed (assuming you remembered everything on the old page that you can no longer see).   It would be really helpful to annotate policy changes with "Rev. (date)" so that users can easily locate any recent changes to policy. 

The idea that you're supposed to read every policy page on eBay prior to listing every item, just in case something has changed, is ridiculous.  And it doesn't help eBay attain policy compliance any either.

I have read every policy  page  .   The new   update  return shipping policy  seller that pays return  shipping  on item  is responsable  and to chance on buyer  packing up item to avoid damge on the return transit   .  Just how to get buyer to take care  without being held  accountable  .  I would like to get  brians or the orther mods take on it.

Message 109 of 136
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

I have two questions that are closely related to each other.

1st question  -  If I have an ebay buyer who I decide to refund in full through Paypal, does that result in an ebay out of stock defect?  This should really only be a yes or not answer.  The reason why I would refund should not have any deciding factors to the answer.

2nd question  -  If a buyer on eBay opens a return request and opens the return request incorrectly with multiply problems and I decide it would just be better to refund the buyer in full through paypal Does this result in an out of stock defect on eBay?

In the 2nd question the refund has to be done through paypal because the return request was not done correctly and there would be no way to refund in full through the return request.

Thank You

Hi @goodluckselling

1 - Yes. Without a cancellation request telling us why a refund was being sent, a defect would occur. 

2 - Defects could potentially occur but if this happens, reach out to our customer service teams: https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/cuhome?from_ocs=1 and we can adjust the quantity in a return to correct the issue. 

WHOA, problem #2 should NEVER result in a defect of ANY kind.  Sellers are free to negotiate and communicate with their customers during the Request stage.  If a seller refunds a buyer during this stage, there is NO defect given and the return Request does NOT count against the seller.

It would only count against the seller if the buyer had to escalate the Request to a Claim [asking Ebay to step in].

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 110 of 136
latest reply

New to eBay, I was pleased to receive an "exclusive $15 voucher".  When the voucher was rejected while trying to pay for my first purchase, I called Customer Service. 

Very polite, they took lots of information and implied this would be resolved within 3 days.     Now more than 2 weeks have gone by.

Message 111 of 136
latest reply

@copper.boom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

Two weeks ago @Anonymous posted a reply at the end of chat:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Community-Chat-April-26th-1pm-PT-General-Topics/m-p/26899516#M11636

@Anonymous wrote:

We've got a lot of different policies and while we don't have a centralized area where all changes are posted, the individual Help Pages are updated. I would always recommend double-checking the policy to make sure any updates are made to the information you're providing. Thank you so much for all you do in the Community! 

I appreciate that advice was given to double-check a policy page before giving advice to another poster, however...

As a seller I am not going to read every single policy page every day just to see if anything has changed and if my listings are suddenly no longer compliant.

Why are policy updates not posted to the Announcements area as they occur with a link to the appropriate policy page? And is this something that we can make happen go forward?

Hi @copper.boom - I can appreciate your concern on this. With how many policies we have, we wouldn't be able to post an announcement with each update. That said, we will make announcements on major changes. I simply suggest doing a quick glance over from time to time just as a refresher. 

Heidi - and that is even more concerning. With that amount of updates we should be notified. Why can't an announcement be added every 2 weeks, or even once a month with the updates?

As you said, there are so many policies and to do a "quick glance over" isn't really possible... I do a thorough read-through about once a year, and look at specific pages regularly when questions arise, but it's unreasonable to say the changes can't be announced.

How can the changes be announced when only a few know about the changes - let alone just 'what' the changes entail?  And, 'ocs' (offshore customer support?), meh.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 112 of 136
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aswegrow2 wrote:
I have listed a couple of quick form listings are they already included in the automatic 30 renewal and How do I identify these listings TIA

Hi @aswegrow2 - Great question! We waiting for more info at the moment and we'll update the thread once we know more. Thanks!

Message 113 of 136
latest reply

Would you please address the issue described in this discussion thread:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/BIN-is-ONLY-wanting-instant-payment/td-p/26907283/page...

As a seller, I have had buyers in the past over the years complain of this to me (most often overseas buyers) but it began affecting me personally as a buyer (and I buy a lot) around May 1, 2017.

Message 114 of 136
latest reply

How many listing tools/SYI forms are there?   Is it possible for me to see them all and choose the one that I find the best to use?

I was recently moved into a new listing tool that requires that I upload each photo one at a time. The last listing tool allowed me to upload 12 photos at once.

Thank you.

Message 115 of 136
latest reply

Special characters are not allowed on listing title per ebay policy. 

Why is it that some seller have these special characters in their auction titles?

It should be easy to find these listings and remove them from the site.

Why is ebay allowing a competitive advantage to these sellers?

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 116 of 136
latest reply

I already contacted customer service. It is customer service that told me that eBay will be discontinuing the “Good till Canceled” feature for multi-variation listings. Customer service even checked my ended listings individually, and I did have all of the required information: Brand, UPC, etc. They could not determine exactly why my listings were canceled, but she said it looked like it was accidentally canceled due to this upcoming change even though it has not taken effect yet. I will try to contact them again. I want to relist these items, but I want to know why they were canceled before I relist them so they don't cancel these listings again.

Message 117 of 136
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@labs118 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kavi1030 wrote:

Are sellers going to be forced to use the seller hub and the new listing tool or will we have a choice of either? I am not happy with the seller hub or the new listing tool.

No plans to require Seller Hub at the moment. We are always working to enhance this feature for you, so if you have any feedback feel free to provide it! You can access the Advanced Listing tool from the Sell option in the upper right corner of any eBay page, then select Advanced tool from the top right of the next screen.

Trinton  it seems many don't see the same thing/ form  when listing
When I hit sell upper right hand corner I see this below.
when I click Create listing  from dropdown I can do single listing or multi listing.
If I pick single  I get screen shot 2

list format.jpg

Create single listing brings this form

list format 2.jpg

Seems many sellers are having issues with unchecking best offer, or offering IPR
Why a quick form, an advanced form , a SYI form?
I guess mine is the new advanced SYI ? correct ?
It is very hard to know how to even answer questions on the boards because of all the different forms seems we all see different things.

Definitely a challenge I understand, knowing which listing tool someone is using. Without you starting a new listing and showing what that screen looks like, I wouldn't be able to say which form specifically you are using. Best offer is being included automatically and can be removed from with the Advanced listing tool either with the steps I provided previously, or by using the Bulk Edit tool. I'm working with our tech teams on an issue where some sellers would like to add this, but cannot access the option. 

For Immediate Payment, this is not automatically applied under a certain dollar amount (see: http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/require-immediate-payment.html for more).

Different forms are designed for different volumes of sellers - New sellers vs. experienced sellers may need different options. While it isn't always easy to know what tool someone is using without screenshots, asking for these or for a description of the options available can help narrow it down. A seller can also always reach out to our customer service teams for an in depth view of the listing form they are using and help with any issues present.

Message 118 of 136
latest reply

The thread is now closed as the hour is up. We'll go through the rest of the thread and answer any questions that we haven't got to yet. 

Thanks for joining us today! heart 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 119 of 136
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@copper.boom wrote:

Thanks, Trinton. And just an FYI - I am still seeing negative watchers.

Thanks for the update! Our tech teams are looking into this currently. I'll reach out with an update once I hear back!

Message 120 of 136
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: