cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, October 9 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Join the Community team here at 1 PM PT on October 9th for our Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a set topic this week, so please bring any general questions you may have on buying or selling.

The chat will be open for questions from 1-2 pm PT, at which point we'll close thread. While no additional questions can be submitted after this time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that may still be unanswered.

If you're new to the chat, welcome! Simply Reply to this post with your question from 1-2 PM Pacific Time and we'll be happy to look into it for you slight smile

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 92
latest reply
91 REPLIES 91

Re: Vacation Settings

I had a buyer request to return due to item being defective.
I offer free returns and therefore, sent them a return label.
When I received the product back, there was nothing wrong with the product.
They didn't even open the batteries to install them. We did and the product worked fine.
I reported the buyer for returns abuse since I offer free returns, there was no need to file a false INAD.
Am I protected on returns like this?
Message 16 of 92
latest reply

Good afternoon eBay Support Team!

Subject: Simple sales tax question(s):

I am trying to understand who gets charged what and why for sales tax purposes and if the term "sales" tax in  some cases is actually "use" tax. Here are my examples of Buyers and Sellers in different states and "made up" tax rates JUST to simply the questions.  For the Buyer-Seller transactions below who pays what and why?:

Buyer's state sales tax =  7%          Seller's state sales tax = 0%

Buyer's state sales tax = 7%          Seller's state sales tax = 10%

Buyer's state sales tax = 0%           Seller's state sales tax = 7%

Buyer's state sales tax = 0%           Seller's state sales tax = 0%

With the above scenarios of Buyer-Seller state relationships apply the same questions to a Local Pick up deal where the Buyer is crossing a state line, the PayPal purchase is refunded so the Buyer can pay cash at pick up, how is sales tax applied?  I've actually had Buyers come from as far as 3 states away to pick something up although most are within our state.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 17 of 92
latest reply

I'd like to know why Volume Discounts cannot apply to buyers who order more than one item number from the same seller?  It seems as if a buyer must buy 2 or more of the same item to qualify.  What about ordering different items? Thanks.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 18 of 92
latest reply

Vacation Settings
in reply to 10-09-2019 01:19:44 PM

I have used vacation settings for years In my store.  I understand how they work.  Usually I just set it to block purchases and then have nothing to worry about. 

Recently I went away from Saturday to Wednesday with expected ship date on Thursday, which is 4 day handling time for anything that sold over the days I was gone.

Because the listings no longer show handling time UNLESS you put 10 day handling time or longer, I set my handling time to 10 days. 

So I had my listings with 10 day handling time showing right next to the buy now button and I had my vacation settings set to "away" returning on Thursday (with a note)

And a buyer purchased an item on Sunday and became irate and sent me a blistering email complaining that he "just saw that I had 10 days handling" and wanted to know why I couldn't ship immediately.

I explained, offered to cancel/refund but wondered why the buyer did not seem to notice prior to purchase that I had extended handling time or that I was on vacation.

Does it show the same on all devices? For example, I rarely use the APP and I use edge or IE for my browser.  Am I seeing it differently than my buyers?

Was I out of line to change my handling time and put my store on vacation that way?  I figured that I would be able to ship by Thursday so it wasn't that prolonged a wait to ship. 

What do you suggest?

Buyers rarely read past the title and the pictures. 90% of all buyer related issues is because they dont bother to read the descriptions or anything else past those 2 things. At least this has been my experience.

Message 19 of 92
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@captb_54 wrote:

Just a suggestion for the future. Don't do FALL UPDATE or mess with things right before 4th qtr ever. Do everything in winter and summer and stop the Fall. You know that even though IT guys tell you no problems there are always bugs, Always. And 4th qtr is not time to deal with them.

I agree as I'm confident many others do as well when it has to do with the structure or data contained in a listing.  Every year sellers ask Ebay to please be more considerate of our needs to be working on sourcing inventory and creating listings for the holiday season.  But every year we have the Fall Update since at least 2014, it could be further back than that.  

I don't mine changes in cosmetic things or the addition of Seller Protections, but when it affects the design, layout or functionality of a listing, sellers need time to work with that and not take away from the needs of the Holiday season.  Both Ebay and seller would be stronger for it and make a little more money IMHO.

My vote is Winter and Spring.  Keeping in mine when those seasons actually start.

Let me revisit my suggestion.  It should have said Winter and Summer so there is a bit more space in between and more like twice a year.  Which was agreed to years ago that we would only have two seller updates a year.  However in 2018 we had 3 and 2019 so far we have had 3.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 20 of 92
latest reply

My eBay store’s traffic report has not updated since October 4th.  I talked with a CSR and they told me that traffic reports could take a week or longer to update.  Why can’t sellers receive real time traffic reports like most other e-commerce sites?  Waiting a week to see my shop traffic is not beneficial.

Message 21 of 92
latest reply

2nd question...

Exactly what does it mean when the message "eBay note:This listing hasn't had any sales in at least 16 months. Please consider updating it" appears on a listing? As it does not mean what it says and is very misleading. One can change the title, pictures, condition, description, price, promote level, etc... and that message remains even though the  listing HAS been updated.  The only way to make it go away is to end it (which breaks links to watchers) and do a relist.  So why is the message not that a relisting is needed instead of an update?

Thanks.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 22 of 92
latest reply

On this ID I have my site preferences set to "not allow buyers to ask questions"

I have my reasons (don't judge) because I have found that the vast majority of questions involve buyers asking me for lower prices, best offers or my least favorite "what is the lowest you will take for this item?"

(answer: the price listed)

However, it seems that this site preference setting doesn't always work.  Yesterday an ebay user was able to ask me a couple of times to lower the price or give her a deal on an item. 

I checked my settings and they look fine, as I intend.  The question included the item name/number etc.. so she didn't just ask a random question without using a specific item.

Can you tell me why this function does not always work?  Has something changed? Thank you.

Message 23 of 92
latest reply

Amazon has longer product titles. I think eBay should extend them past the 80 characters currently allowed for this reason. The app is difficult because customer dont see how to press on the button to read more of the description.
Message 24 of 92
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@autopiacarcare wrote:

Are there any current known issues going on with Promotions Manager? There seems to be a long delay a lot of times between scheduled start and end times and actual start and end times.

For example, I had 2 markdown promotions running over the weekend that were both scheduled to end at 11:30 PM Pacific Sunday Night.  However, when I came in to work at 8 AM Eastern Monday (about 5.5 hours past the scheduled end time), they were both still active.  They eventually ended on their own a few hours later.

When I create markdown promotions, I usually select the "start now" option.  However, sometimes it takes several hours for them to actually start.  For example, I started one markdown promotion at about 2:30 PM Eastern today (1 hour and 40 minutes ago) and it still is "pending".

I've also seen several posts on the community boards this week that have been experiencing issues as well, so I don't believe it is just limited to me.

I would imagine that just like us, many sellers plan out their promotions and target specific times/days for a reason.  it is frustrating when the promotions don't run as scheduled and it also makes it very difficult to do any kind of testing/analysis to use for planning future promotional strategies.

Hi @autopiacarcare, most of the time these promotions will go live immediately. In some situations (such as when a large number of items are included in the promotion or within certain categories), there can be a delay as the request is processed. If you can give some additional details/examples we'll be happy to look into this further and investigate any technical issues that may be present.

Message 25 of 92
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Good afternoon eBay Support Team!

Subject: Simple sales tax question(s):

I am trying to understand who gets charged what and why for sales tax purposes and if the term "sales" tax in  some cases is actually "use" tax. Here are my examples of Buyers and Sellers in different states and "made up" tax rates JUST to simply the questions.  For the Buyer-Seller transactions below who pays what and why?:

Buyer's state sales tax =  7%          Seller's state sales tax = 0%

Buyer's state sales tax = 7%          Seller's state sales tax = 10%

Buyer's state sales tax = 0%           Seller's state sales tax = 7%

Buyer's state sales tax = 0%           Seller's state sales tax = 0%

With the above scenarios of Buyer-Seller state relationships apply the same questions to a Local Pick up deal where the Buyer is crossing a state line, the PayPal purchase is refunded so the Buyer can pay cash at pick up, how is sales tax applied?  I've actually had Buyers come from as far as 3 states away to pick something up although most are within our state.

Hi @mr_lincoln - first and foremost I have to tell you that I am not a tax expert and am not allowed to provide you tax advice, accounting advice, or anything resembling such. 

What I can say is that in states that have required eBay to collect sales tax under Marketplace Facilitator laws, we always base the 'whether or not to charge' and the amount  upon the buyer's stated location at checkout. 

In situations where a transaction is cancelled or otherwise partially or fully refunded, we would be responsible for refunding the tax charged to the buyer if the buyer's stated location at checkout was in a state we are required to collect tax in.

For any and all other tax related questions I have to advise you to contact a tax professional. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 26 of 92
latest reply

Hello. Why does the zip code on eBay differ from the zip code on USPS sometimes?

Message 27 of 92
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

My question is about seller protection:

This happens frequently, just last week.

I send brand new in package undergarments. 

Buyer receives exactly what they order but says "wore them, don't fit well, are uncomfortable,  bigger than I thought (or smaller)  I need to return them"  In about half the cases they claim Not as described because they do not fit.  In about 100% of the cases, the items are essentially ruined and I cannot resell them. (worn, out of package, no packaging included with return etc..)

Does the new seller protections offer me any recourse?  Protections?     Am I just expected to take the loss because the buyer doesn't like them, they don't fit, they are uncomfortable or other (not my problem) issues?

Thank you.

Hi @golfingaddict, the enhanced protections for Top Rated Sellers give sellers the option to give a partial refund if an item is returned damaged, used, or altered. Doing a partial refund also comes with feedback, defect, and seller metric protection for the seller. You can view the partial refund guideline table here to see when and how much of a partial refund can be given in different circumstances. Additionally, if a buyer falsely reports an item is Not As Described, sellers can report the buyer to us and received a $6 credit on their monthly invoice, along with feedback, defect, and seller metrics protections. 

The Seller Protections team will be here for next weeks Weekly Chat, so be sure to join us then if you have further questions Smiley Happy

Brian,
Community Team
Message 28 of 92
latest reply

Good afternoon, One of the items I sell is View Masters there are 2 different unrelated categories that cover these depending on the item. if its a viewer or projector it goes in the Toys & Hobbies > Classic Toys > View-Master  Category if its a  View Master reel it goes in the Collectibles > Photographic Images > Contemporary (1940-Now) > Viewmaster  Category. Who or what team would I talk to to see about getting these combined as the item specifics in both have little to pertain to the item being listed. As there is more emphasis on item specifics it seems they should be relevant.

Message 29 of 92
latest reply

@3r_technology_solutions wrote:

I would like to know why ebay makes it to easy for the buyer to just click INAD or damaged and force a seller to take a return resulting in loss of any profit and in some cases lose money on a transaction?  I hade a case of a toner cartridge that was bought from me and the buyer clicked item damaged and in the comment section put seller sent a damaged box? Was then told by multiple Ebay reps that in this case the box isn’t the item the toner inside is.  IMHO this should have then been closed as an improper return, but was told that since the buyer opened the case they then had to follow return policy.   Apon contacting Ebay was told there are certain criteria that must be met for me to then appeal and get return shipping credited to me once item is received.  But I as a seller cant be told what that criteria is.  What is Ebay trying to hide from us sellers?

Hi @3r_technology_solutionsif a buyer receives an item that doesn't match the listings description then we want it to be easy to resolve the matter. That being said, we do place return reasons that would be considered "not as described" reasons at the bottom of the list, and the buyer has to expand the list to see these. This is done to help minimize the number of returns where the incorrect return reason is selected. Ultimately, we look at the reason the buyer selected when they opened the return, such as damaged or not as described.

As for specific criteria, I'm certain you can understand how detailing this kind of information would lead to abuse of the protection you are seeking. If you qualify for this protection, we will be happy to provide compensation. If you do not, we may not be able to go into detail as to why this is not possible to ensure those who seek to abuse our protections are not given information they could use to manipulate or circumvent our policies.
Brian,
Community Team
Message 30 of 92
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: