cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Cannot process payment at this time"

I've been a seller/buyer for 11 years now, used the same debit/credit cards as I always have and all of a sudden Friday I went to make another purchase (I made several throughout the week using the same card) and I got the message"cant process payment, try another method". I tried numerous times with other cards to no avail so I started calling ebay Saturday since I kept trying to pay getting the same message. Ebay then blamed Paypal for the issue, so I called Paypal they blamed ebay. As of today I still cant make a purchase unless I use my Paypal balance which I do not want to do for these purchases. All in all I have called ebay 9 times, Paypal 5 times(no account issue) and still have no answer. And yes, I cleared my cookies, called the CC company and bank and there are no problems anywhere and all I get is the run around from ebay since its apparently an issue with their checkout. Is anyone else having this problem or have an answer?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@payton544 

Yes, unfortunately, you are not the first person to have this problem and there does seem to be some disconnect between eBay and PayPal on the subject.

I have a feeling that this comes up with the sellers who are on eBay's MP (Managed payments).  That is the only time that I have come across this "glitch" or whatever you want to call it...I usually can get the payment to go through after several attempts but for you to have to endure DAYS of this has to be frustrating .

Eventually, all sellers (at least us in the USA) are going to be forced onto this system and we have heard more bad than good in regards to this system.

I can tell when someone is on MP when I go to my checkout screen.  Can you tell if the buyer(s) that you are trying to buy from are on MP?

If you see an option to pay with Google pay, then those sellers are on the MP.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The 3 sellers I tried to purchase from are not on the managed google pay, they just have the regular payment options. I honestly do know anything about the new managed payment thing, I only just noticed it yesterday on the boards while searching for an answer on my problem. But I do think it may have to do with that though because on another thread I found a couple people complaining like me that they can’t pay and they brought up that ebays system might be messed up because the managed pay was recently added. I am going to have to do some research on this payment thing so I know what I’m in store for. I hope we are not forced into this, I have enough trouble sometimes just trying to get a buyer to pay for their items! Lol! Thanks for the update 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@payton544 

I hope that you can get to the bottom of your being able to make payments here.

As to the whole MP thing...they (eBay) is planning on having all US sellers on the system by some time next year. 

Just to let you know so that you can start to plan ahead, as a seller, the payments made to you by your buyers are not available to you instantly the way PayPal is right now...there is about a 5 day lag between the buyer paying you and the money being deposited into your account which also means that you may have to front the cost of shipping the item to your buyer.

There have been sellers that are already on the MP thing posting about these situations so yes, do look more into it and you may want to start to put a little $ aside from each item you sell from this day forward so that you will have that cushion available to you when MP does arrive at your doorstep.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

That sounds horrible! What’s the purpose of all this?! I will do my research but when we do get paid finally, does the money go into PayPal account or do we have to have a bank account? Good grief, this looks scary. Going to check the announcement boards to read up on in. Thanks again 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply