cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay website showing as Text only

Here is an issue that happens lately, every day, for hours. The website shows as text only. When this happens, there is no way to contact customer service, and even if you do, they can't help. They just say, change browsers.

I use Firefox, have had eBay store for 15 years, and this has never happened before, until this week. Every few hours, it will suddenly appear as normal, then in a few minutes, will go to text only when you click on a page.

I have done everything- cleared cache, history, content, refreshed browser, nothing works. Then, hours later, its fine. for a few minutes.

This issue has happened to many others, yet eBay says it isnt happening.  It seems that eBay does not care to help either sellers or buyers when they need it. They should at LEAST have placed an article on this issue, with a FIX, rather than continue to be the source of absolute frustration for so many people. 

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: eBay website showing as Text only

Do not tell us that it's NOT an issue:

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

tsp8ntball5hnf_0-1597104521335.png

ME TOO.  Log in screen is normal on Chrome but not on my preferred browser, Firefox. VERY ANNOYING.

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

I do not think that there is anyone that doubts that this happens. But when it does happen to a user, it is unlikely that there is anything that eBay can do about it, since the problem is most likely a result of things happening at the user's end.

Even if the problem is the direct result of something that eBay has done -- some change that eBay has made to the site -- once it happens there is not much that eBay can do after the fact. That is because in many cases the problem is a conflict between the page that eBay is delivering and the local data stored in the browser's cache. Cached data is unique to each user and each browser, and depends of which pages the user has visited previously, and in which order. It is not possible to predict how a change will affect every possible individual browser cache.

Trying another browser is often a good way to diagnose the problem.

If eBay pages load fine in another browser, that points to a possible problem with the original browser -- either the browser cache, eBay cookies, add-ons or settings are possible sources of problems. In many cases, the browser cache and eBay cookies will eventually be overwritten, so those sorts of problems can be overcome with time, but clearing the cache or erasing eBay cookies can speed up the process. Holding down the shift key while refreshing the page can bypass the cache and often allow a page to load, but if multiple pages have problems, then clearing the cache is usually the way to go.

If eBay pages have the same format problems in another browser or when using another device on the same network, that would instead point to potential problems with common network equipment -- possibly a local ethernet switch or router with a bad assignment table -- or else problems further upstream in the network between eBay and the user. Rebooting local network equipment, or temporarily disabling a custom firewall may be worth trying.

On rare occasions the problem may be ongoing on eBay's end -- in which case the discussion boards will be filled with posts about it, as every user will be experiencing the same problem at the same time. So if you check the discussion boards and only see one or two posts, and downdetector does not show any great spike in reported problems at eBay, it is unlikely that the problem is happening everywhere.

In general, it is worth trying a few things before assuming that the problem is at eBay's end; if the problem is at your end, you may find a workaround or a fix for your issue. Whereas if you start out by assuming the problem is at eBay's end and it is not, you may be waiting a long time for the problem to fix itself.

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

Same here, when seen from Europa.

List of sold items and active items also experiences delays in updating. Takes up to 10 minutes before an ended item is disappearing from the list of active auctions.

Lately ebay even bungled an invoice.

Now buyer is furious because the amount I see here, and the amount he gets on his invoice do not correspond to each other.  At least he understand I cannot be made responsible for ebay not being able to calculate invoices correctly.

Basically, ebay now has issues with their distributed servers. It seems the servers no longer work together properly.

Someone at ebay should get on to this. ASAP, like yesterday.

Not that I care, I am just a user.

But ebay´s revenue is at stake once their systems shows fatigue.

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

I fell, I need to make an addition to my previous post.

As far as I know, ebay has distributed the functions of their homepage on to different servers, at different locations.

This means the "core" of the homepage is generated on one server. From a kind of advanced spreadsheet.

Then the graphics are added, coming from another server, advertising and other subpart of what we all know and see as the "ebay homepage" from yet another server.

I believe what happens here, is that the "core" server is generating the homepage, and we see it as text.

Simply because the servers that should be providing the graphics and the page layout, etc, etc, are not returning their part before the page is showing.

So, either the calls from the "core" to the other servers does not work properly, or the response from the other servers are delayed too much to appear in time for us users to see them.

So, as a result, we get the "raw" rext version.

If you look closely through all the weird stuff on your screen, you will most likely find all the functions you usually see on the "normal" homepage. Only in bungled and/or misplaced positions.

On my screen, some of the usually small buttons shows a filling half the screen, other fields are very tiny.

Point is, they seem all to be present, and for an emergency, one can try and push them.

Too bothersome for daily use, but for single operations, it could work.

Still, ebay needs to FIX this.

One way to optimize a homepage is to squeeze your servers down to the lowest feasible response time.

( You pay more for faster speed)

Slack costs money, so it makes sense not to have slack. But it leaves no room for external factors on the internet that might delay one server.

So, it may be ebay that have "optimized" to the point, where their homepage no longer work properly.

A good homepage would not load before it has secured all components, so, again, it´s on ebay to FIX this.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

Same problem here.  Firefox user as well.  eBay is working fine with Chrome and IE.  I didn't notice it until the past few days.  Could be an issue with the latest Firefox update?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

Firefox 79 seems to be working with eBay for me. No formatting issues of any kind.

Have you tried clearing your browser cache and eBay cookies?

Try entering about:support in your Firefox address bar. That should give you some additional options in the upper right corner of the page:

eburtonlab_0-1597158427246.png

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

Happening here too in Firefox...looked this up to see if anyone else is having this problem.  Firefox ver 79.

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

If clearing your browser cache and eBay cookies do not help, try disabling "Enhanced Tracking Protection" on eBay if you are using Firefox.

enhanced1.jpg

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

Disabling Enhanced Tracking Protection for the Ebay website fixed the problem, thanks

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

Firefox on my Mac has stopped working on drop down menus on eBay. Safari works properly. Not sure of it's a problem caused by Mozilla or eBay, but eBay don't give a monkey's about anything except profit so, they are deluded as, one cannot use eBay unless everything functions properly.

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

The shield to the left of the web address entry should be checked.   A message box opens with a toggle on or off option to stop tracking or turn it on.  If the tracking is on, EBAY doesn't work properly.   The moment the tracking is turned off EBAY will work properly.  It may intermittently happen and the toggle will have to be turned off again.  Ebay needs to fix this issue and let users manage their on tracking without this major hassle!!!  There may be other issues but this is a fix that has worked for me.  I use latest version 79of firefox....

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

At least I know it's not just me having an issue.  Ebay will be working fine and then out of nowhere everything gets messed up, text only. It can be like that for hours too.

It's not just my computer either. My home computer running firefox has this happen and the computer at work running waterfox also has this happen too.

I don't know what's happening on their end but they need to get it straightened out ASAP.

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

Mine has been a muddled mess for a couple of days. I did try the different browser, but frankly I should not have to open a different browser just to read eBay!! Everything else works fine with Firefox. So I am not completely buying it's not eBay.

Every so often on my desk top I get the text only. Most of the time it clears up. Right now my summary looks fine but if I open something in it or on a search, the page is messed up, I can see pictures and everything but it is left justified and drawn out.

I checked my security settings as suggest and it is set to what was suggested. I will try clearing things and see if that works.

Message 15 of 46
latest reply