cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is flagging me as a 'browsing' bot

Hi,

Can anyone help with an issue that is new for me?  Today when browsing the World Coin auctions category, I could look at only 2 pages of results, and when I clicked on page 3, the screen showed:

"Pardon Our Interruption".

"As you were browsing eBay something about your browser made us think you were a bot. There are a few reasons this might happen:

• You're a power user moving through this website with super-human speed.
  • You've disabled JavaScript in your web browser.
  • A third-party browser plugin, such as Ghostery or NoScript, is preventing JavaScript from running. "

I have no idea why this is happening.  I tried going back to the first page of World Coin listings and the message followed me.  I couldn't browse the listings at all then.

I tried clearing cookies and cache, closed Firefox and then logged back into eBay, and the same thing happened.

I am using Firefox 84.0.2 on a Windows 10 desktop, and I've made no major updates or changes in recent days.  I have been browsing World Coins auctions a few times a day all this week and today am doing nothing differently.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks much,

Roger

Some system info:

Windows 10 Pro version is: 20H2, OS build is 19042.746

Javascript is enabled in Firefox.

Oracle Java version is: 8, Update 271.

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: eBay is flagging me as a 'browsing' bot

It happened to me today, but for some reason I can choose all the categories without it happening except 'UK ONLY'  I can do worldwide or Europe without it happening , as soon as I try to narrow down to uk this error occurs.

suggests something else is going on as surely it would come up with this error regardless of what I try to narrow the search field down to?

Message 16 of 48
latest reply

Same thing happening to me, all ok until I select UK only search option

Message 17 of 48
latest reply

Come on Ebay , get this sorted out so I can get on with my work !!

Message 18 of 48
latest reply

Same problem!!! I have been using ebay for years, I guess I shop to fast **bleep** Ebay???

https://www.ebay.com/splashui/distil?ap=2&appName=orch&page=block&iid=5e90ff3e-3cf2-4adc-9bb1-2da001...

Message 19 of 48
latest reply

same here, soon as i select uk only i get the stupid message, why can't they leave things alone.

Message 20 of 48
latest reply

Does the error only happen when category browsing?

If you actually search using search terms, and then try to change the Item location filter, do you encounter an error?

Message 21 of 48
latest reply

I tried 2 different browsers on each of 2 devices and cleared cookies and cache.  I even rebooted modem to get a new IP-address.  Also, eBay CS insisted I try it with a broswer in incognito mode.  Nothing helped.  The issue is with Distil, a software that eBay uses to monitor the website for bots.  This started for many eBay users yesterday, and seems to be due to changed settings in Distil.

Message 22 of 48
latest reply

Good question.  I just tried browsing from my saved searches and was blocked.  But when I ran a search on "500 Yen" I was allowed through and could visit all 7 screens of results.  Switching location from World to US Only had no effect.

Message 23 of 48
latest reply

Pardon Our Interruption...

As you were browsing eBay, something about your browser made us think you were a bot. There are a few reasons this might happen:

• You're a power user moving through this website with super-human speed.
  • You've disabled JavaScript in your web browser.
  • A third-party browser plugin, such as Ghostery or NoScript, is preventing JavaScript from running.
Message 24 of 48
latest reply

The error message appears to be triggered by the particular destination page URL of your search (or category browse), so if you are able to recreate the search in a different form, you may be able to avoid the error.

Message 25 of 48
latest reply

got same issue

Message 26 of 48
latest reply

Same issue. Quite boring.

Message 27 of 48
latest reply

I've  got the same issue, irrespective of what browser I use or whether I use saved searches or start from the eBay homepage and work step by step through the categories. I've got no blockers installed, let alone enabled, and I've done all the usual clearing of cookies and caches.

It's a site problem not the users. No doubt the loss of revenue will prompt eBay to do something sooner or later!

Message 28 of 48
latest reply

azh-71
Thrill-Seeker

Same here.  This is 100% not IP-based, the failure is triggered by specific searches.  My workaround for now is to use the accursed app in which searches work, and save all listings that look promising without opening them.  Then I can go back to my desktop and study the carefully.

As an aside - **bleep** right I am a power user, and **bleep** right I use extensions to speed up browsing and improve my workflow.   And you, eBay, should celebrate me for that, not hamper me.

Message 29 of 48
latest reply

Same old **bleep** here! Searches are getting worse and worse with less control, and now this. Really hissing me off!

Message 30 of 48
latest reply