cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS calculated shipping is charging customers too much!

My sales have slowed down since the first of this year. The UPS shipping calculator in my listings are show rates that are very high! If you you click the shipping calculator button over and over the rates change $10 or more depending on the item. I have call eBay 4 times now and they tell me they are working on it. Is any other sellers having the same problems? Thanks

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: UPS calculated shipping is charging customers too much!

There are numerous other threads on this topic, in this "Technical" and in "Shipping" discussion.

I have been on the phone WAY too much since 12/27/16, with Ebay, UPS, and Fedex.

I gave up - need to run the rest of my business.

Sales of my best seller, shipping UPS, STOPPED -- literally, have not sold a SINGLE one with UPS shipping. 

We were lucky in that it was quarts of liquid (12 per case) that we are now splitting into TWO USPS flat rate large boxes, upped the price, so we now are doing "free shipping" on them.

$38 total for TWO boxes to anywhere in the U.S. That is the SAME cost UPS USED to be shipping across the country. Bummer is for west coast customers (where we are) that UPS shipping, using UPS Worldship software, UPS shipping is ~$18-$20.

As seen in my other posts, the Ebay "calculated" UPS shipping, 12x13x10, 25 pounds, cross country went from $38 to $64 !!!

Sales on our other items that NEED to go UPS have STOPPED. Best we can do is put notes all over the description, that few will read after they see the absurd shipping showing, that "Shipping is too high -- TRUST US (??) WE WILL REFUND THE EXTRA".

That is what we had all over our above best seller -- never sold ANY.

As I said -- I gave up -- time to run the rest of my business.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Ebay is quoting retail  rates for UPS and Fedex which are very high.

To correct this you need to go into your Ebay account - site preferences- shipping preferences- "offer carrier specific discounts". You need to sign up for Ebays UPS rates or you can change your listings to Fedex shipping.

You do not have to ship Fedex or use Ebays UPS labels if you do this. You can still use your own accounts to ship, this is just a way to get the correct rates on your listing. It seems you might need to revise all the listings for this change to take place.

Fedex calculated rates may  then be lower than actual because Fedex will always add an inch to two side dimensions when scanned and dimensional weight is used on all large packages, so increase your box dimensions in the listing form. I don't ship UPS so not sure if that calculates correctly without adjustment.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Ebay is charge more than retail rates with UPS! Thanks
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I am having the same problem. Informed eBay that the calculated cost of shipping with UPS is nearly double what it used to be.

In the meantime, I have changed all my listings back to USPS. 

What a headache. 

And yes, my sales went down since this problem started because buyers see a really high shipping charge and they decide not to purchace.. 

http://stores.ebay.com/Michael-Creese-Gallery
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

This is yet another ebay problem with UPS. The last issue was tracking information not being posted automatically for items shipped UPS. No tracking information no seller discounts, so many sellers went to Fed Ex.  ( who has time for it? ) Again here, Fed Ex pricing for me is spot on. I really think ebay is trying to drive shippers to Fed Ex. Have you noticed the difference in how Fed Ex and UPS is billed?  You buy your Fed Ex labels from ebay. You buy UPS labels from UPS. I feel fairly sure that ebay does not pay Fed Ex what they collect from sellers. Fed Ex labels could possibly be a huge revenue stream for ebay and would explain why there has been ongoing issues with shipping via UPS for some time now.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Just another note. As of today ebay is quoting a price that is higher then UPS retail and my shipping discounts are enabled. This is not a seller problem it is an ebay system problem. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I have had this issue over the past few months. I have always shipped FedEx ground. I check my rates to various locations when I am creating my listings and the rates seem correct at that time. The buyers are not seeing the same thing as the sellers. I just received an offer for an item and it showed the shipping as "+13.00 shipping" when I accepted the offer. When the buyer paid, he was charged $30.00 for shipping. While it seems great to pocket the extra dough, it could very well explain why my sales have slowed to next to nothing. If buyers are seeing high shipping, it may be driving them away.  this issue does of course benefit EBay as they make 10% of the shipping charges, not the actual shipping costs. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

What really gets me is ebay says "we don't know if they are working on it currently, as it is effecting a small percentage of sellers".  It may be fixed sometime is more or less what I am getting. My sales are off 80 % from last year. Un **bleep** believable. I spent 2 hours on the phone with ebay. They offered me a 5 dollar coupon for my "inconvenience".  

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I am already offering carrier-specific discounts to buyers, yet the UPS calculated charge for shipping UPS is much higher than it would be even if I was NOT offering a discount. 

eBay says they are working on a fix. 

http://stores.ebay.com/Michael-Creese-Gallery
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Well USPS is charging my customers to little and it is costing me over 20% more than they pay on calculated shipping which is what I mostly used based on my items vary. Can not make up the losses and my sales are down dramatically because I removed my shipping discount until eBay fixes the issue!! I am thinking of other avenues to sell my collectibles, any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Same problem happening to me
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I have found that sometimes the shipping calculator's UPS E bay rates are higher than the in store rate. Go to research rates and try a two (2) pound package from 57325 to Boston and togle between the two. I have found many probs with that system and I have only been doing this for 3 months.  You really have to be careful with small less expensive items. You can loose money and TIME easily if you don't do some homework.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I tried it with a 2 lb 12x12x10 package from 57325 to 02120 and don't see what you see.

For UPS Ground to a residential address the calculator shows:
$23.62 in store rate ($23.78 manually computed) and $17.83 eBay rate ($18.20 manually computed)
which are about right. (looks like eBay includes a slight 1-2% discount in the online rates over published online rates)
Message 14 of 14
latest reply