cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search results show inaccurate & HIGH calculated shipping

I posted full details to the Selling board, but this may be the more appropriate board for getting answers.

In search results, calculated shipping shows higher than ANY shipping method offered. Click through to the listings, and you'll see (seemingly) accurate shipping for each service offered. But, buyers will go by the search results and not click through.

The absolutely FREAKY fact is that for an identical item that I and another seller have listed, my search for his/her item shows $3.37 more for shipping than the rate when I click on the listing. Another member checked my listing for the same item. The shipping rate they saw in search for my item is $3.37 more than what shows when they click on my listing.  The shipping shown in search is about 48% higher than actual.                 @Anonymous, @Anonymous - help, please.

Message 1 of 87
latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

Re: Search results show inaccurate & HIGH calculated shipping

Someone somewhere has flipped a switch, seemingly correcting this problem, regardless of which FedEx or USPS shipping method is chosen. It appears to also be correct when FedEx Ground, SmartPost & USPS are combined, with search results showing the proper rate for the first option selected on the listing form.

Hallelujah!! @Anonymous - I'll assume this is something you got changed, so thank you very much. Very very very much.

Each affected listing has to be opened and edited again for the change in settings to take effect, so...back to editing. I'll check periodically to be sure the fix holds!

Message 16 of 87
latest reply

Excellent news.

Now the question is whether this is or is linked to the FedEx "retail" charged at checkout bug.*

I believe you were one of the sellers whose buyers were being charged FedEx retail rates at checkout? If so, report back after your next sale and let us know if your buyers are charged discounted FedEx rates when they checkout.

*again, I seem to have no issues with that one either. stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Message 17 of 87
latest reply

I think you just have the magic touch, and some of it rubbed off on my computer! I'm not one who has experienced the checkout bug. This time last week, I wasn't offering calculated shipping, so we'll see how it goes...
Message 18 of 87
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh good! I submitted the report to the team but haven't heard back just yet. I'm glad it's been fixed now!

Message 19 of 87
latest reply

I'm having this same problem.  It's only on items with both FedEx and USPS which is 28 of my 99 listings.  I've even got a couple that FedEx  isn't even showing up as an option in my listings.  Spoke with Ebay today they could see the problem and will be sending over to tech department.  But in mean time I have the option to take FedEx off as an options which is a bummer.   How did y'all get it working correctly?  Thanks

Message 20 of 87
latest reply

Someone finally flipped a switch & fixed mine. But, in the meantime I had tried every possible combination of shipping services, and it was wrong in search even with only USPS Priority Mail offered. Just to clarify - the culprit in my situation was my account setting to enable pass through of the Commercial Shipping rates, which applies only to calculated shipping. 

Message 21 of 87
latest reply

I looked at a couple of your listings. Search shows $9.92 shipping, but when I click through I see $6.57. EXACTLY what was happening with my listings. Like yours, it's especially a deterrent to click through when the item is inexpensive.
Message 22 of 87
latest reply

Item number of one of your listings where FedEx is not appearing?

Is it FedEx Smartpost? If so is it a large item?

Message 23 of 87
latest reply

Good catch!
Message 24 of 87
latest reply

Thanks for replying.  #162674953155  it's a Stetson hat,  it's in a large box 19x12x19   4 lb 8oz .  I have Parcel Select Ground and FedEx Smart Post.  I had another where FedEx didn't show up but I've already started just taking FedEx Smart Post off my listings.  I like to give the buyers options and there are times when FedEx Smart Post is cheaper when over 1 lb.   I'm really hoping they will fix this soon. Thanks again. 

Message 25 of 87
latest reply

Thanks for replying.  #162674953155  it's a Stetson hat,  it's in a large box 19x12x19   4 lb 8oz .  I have Parcel Select Ground and FedEx Smart Post.

Though so.

Your package falls into the Smartpost non-machinable classification:

───────────────────────────────────────────────

Non-Machinable                     All services $2.75 per package
Defined as:

a) Any item with one dimension measuring more than 34 inches.       
b) Any item with any two dimensions each measuring more than 17 inches.    
c) Any item weighing over 35 lbs.    
d) Any item packaged in a cylindrical shipping tube.

───────────────────────────────────────────────

eBay labels handles non-machinable ok (except for criterion d which it has no provision for), but trouble occurs before that when actually listing the item for certain combinations, and then in the live listing if it does post (which is what you are seeing.)

The eBay listing tool allows listings to go live with Smartpost shipping and package dimensions where 2 dimensions are > 17", but those dimensions cause Smartpost non-machinable condition #2 to kick in.

When that happens, the shipping calculator blows chunks and throws an invalid zip code error if Smartpost was the only option. If there were multiple shipping options in the listing (like Smartpost and Priority Mail), the calculator just disappears the Smartpost option and does not throw the error.

This is an ongoing issue I've explorer in numerous threads this year. Best I can gather from Trinton's last statement is that eBay doesn't intent to allow non-machinable Smartpost packages at all, the listing tools are supposed to be changed to prevent any listings with non-machinable weight or dimensions from even posting.

Here are some thoughts on workarounds for the problem:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Shipping-calculator-not-working-at-all-any-zip-code-comes-up/m-...

(Note that my comments in the thread above about Smartpost not caring about dimensional weight are true today, which allows some workarounds, but starting next year when Smartpost will start considering dim weight, some workarounds may not work or will require more fudging.)

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/New-Charges-Coming-for-FedEx-Smartpost/td-p/27514393

Message 26 of 87
latest reply

Wow thank so much.  I just began selling part/full time, I've got a lot to learn.  I appreciate the help.  

Message 27 of 87
latest reply

No problem.

If you have any questions just ask.

Message 28 of 87
latest reply

I started this thread and have tagged it as solved. IF you have your account setting that you pass through the Commercial shipping rate (discount) to buyers, and you are experiencing this problem - report it to tech support at eBay. There's a glitch affecting some accounts, but not all. They were able to fix the problem for me.

Message 29 of 87
latest reply

Dear dcintennessee - It is happening to my account SLC121 and I called ebay last week and rep said they would review it and call me back. So far no call. How exactly did you get eBay to correct it for your account? Did you call a special department or what? Thanks

Message 30 of 87
latest reply