cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screwed Up Multi-User Access, Which Screwed Me Over - Technical Team at Ebay Needed

- I run two businesses on ebay.  My own, and my friend's.  

- When multi-user access first became available on Ebay, I got excited thinking it would be like Amazon has it.  Where I can access the other account through my own account to print labels / get stuff shipped out. 

- I signed my main account up as a user of my friend's business.  Found out that the above wasn't the case, and within the hour I disconnected the two. 

What that basically did is disqualified my own account to assign anyone multi-user access, EVER.   Meaning, I can't have an employee (in the way I want to), and I can't effectively grow. 

This is how it's set up currently, and I've contacted Ebay for Business (Kelly answered my questions) and Ebay on the phone (Glenn helped me).  What I learned from Kelly is that it's in the fine print basically.  If you assign a delagatee, the delagatee can never be a delagator.  I thought that was a bit ridiculous and called up, and Glenn thought it was a little ridiculous too and basically sent over a memo to the team who is operating the pilot for this program.  Unfortunately that's all Glenn can do at this point.

I'm writing this in hopes to speed up the process.  I hope to get an employee of my own, or two, to start writing up drafts / new listings / make me and Ebay more money.  But I'm stuck.  I can't do that.  I can't grow the way I want to.  A bit frustrating.

Kelly and Glenn were great fyi.   I've always been happy with Ebay Customer service.   I'm hoping someone on the Pilot team has read the notes from them, and hopefully reads this note.. as I think the way it's set up right now is a bit bogus, and has really put all my plans on pause in the most important quarter of the year for us.  

Thank you for your time reading this.  --OA

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Screwed Up Multi-User Access, Which Screwed Me Over - Technical Team at Ebay Needed

What happens if you change your ebay id outrightawesome to another name does this attribute fallow to the new id? I would set up a few test accounts to try this out on first. Seams like what you are describing as a limitation that should be available for any business. Sounds like someone with no actually experience with sales or managing multiple employees set this program up. At the very least you would think their server team could restore your account from before you set up the service.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Re: Screwed Up Multi-User Access, Which Screwed Me Over - Technical Team at Ebay Needed

@3eyedfishcatcher wrote:

What happens if you change your ebay id outrightawesome to another name does this attribute fallow to the new id? I would set up a few test accounts to try this out on first. Seams like what you are describing as a limitation that should be available for any business. Sounds like someone with no actually experience with sales or managing multiple employees set this program up. At the very least you would think their server team could restore your account from before you set up the service.

BINGO!  

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@outrightawesome wrote:

- When multi-user access first became available on Ebay, I got excited thinking it would be like Amazon has it.  Where I can access the other account through my own account to print labels / get stuff shipped out. 

- I signed my main account up as a user of my friend's business.  Found out that the above wasn't the case, and within the hour I disconnected the two. 

What that basically did is disqualified my own account to assign anyone multi-user access, EVER.   Meaning, I can't have an employee (in the way I want to), and I can't effectively grow. 

This is how it's set up currently, and I've contacted Ebay for Business (Kelly answered my questions) and Ebay on the phone (Glenn helped me).  What I learned from Kelly is that it's in the fine print basically.  If you assign a delagatee, the delagatee can never be a delagator.  I thought that was a bit ridiculous and called up, and Glenn thought it was a little ridiculous too and basically sent over a memo to the team who is operating the pilot for this program.  Unfortunately that's all Glenn can do at this point.

I'm writing this in hopes to speed up the process.  I hope to get an employee of my own, or two, to start writing up drafts / new listings / make me and Ebay more money.  But I'm stuck.  I can't do that.  I can't grow the way I want to.  A bit frustrating.

Kelly and Glenn were great fyi.   I've always been happy with Ebay Customer service.   I'm hoping someone on the Pilot team has read the notes from them, and hopefully reads this note.. as I think the way it's set up right now is a bit bogus, and has really put all my plans on pause in the most important quarter of the year for us.  

Hi @outrightawesome, this situation is something we cover in our Multi-User Account Access FAQ (here). I've quoted the specific portion that relates to your situation below: 

Question: Who can be a Delegator?
Answer: The MUAA Beta program is currently restricting Delegator access to US Sellers accounts who have a Seller Hub subscription. Once your account starts acting as a Delegator, you will not be able to act as a Delegatee for someone else with that account.

Question: Who can be a Delegatee?
Answer: The MUAA Beta program is currently restricting Delegatee access to new or existing users with a US eBay account. Once you accept an invitation as Delegatee, you cannot be a Delegator with that account.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@outrightawesome wrote:

Hi @outrightawesome, this situation is something we cover in our Multi-User Account Access FAQ (here). I've quoted the specific portion that relates to your situation below: 

Answer: The MUAA Beta program is currently restricting Delegator access to US Sellers accounts who have a Seller Hub subscription. Once your account starts acting as a Delegator, you will not be able to act as a Delegatee for someone else with that account.

Answer: The MUAA Beta program is currently restricting Delegatee access to new or existing users with a US eBay account. Once you accept an invitation as Delegatee, you cannot be a Delegator with that account.

Trinton, thank you for responding.  I find this policy bogus in my situation, and I plead to you and the team in control to reevaluate it.  PLEASE. 

I realize this is on me for not reading this FAQ first and jumping head first, excitedly, into something I thought would benefit my situation - but you've actually hindered me and my ability to grow.

My facts in my case:

- I have revoked my access just 30 minutes to an hour afterwards, after realizing what I wanted to do (print labels, shipping), I couldn't.  

- It has been 2 or so months now. 

- This is affecting my main account, which I want to grow on by hiring an employee to create drafts for me, and because of this I cannot.  

I am not linked to any account right now!  Why is this so finite?  

This is reading as Once you accept an invitation as Delegatee, you cannot be a Delegator with that account.  EVER.  YOU CANNOT GROW.  YOU'VE SCREWED UP.  

Can you not see how bogus this is?  I'm trying to be civil here but this is costing YOU and me money in the most important part of the year.  Give me a break here.  

Let's start with someone a little less experienced.  They're just starting on ebay, but don't want to deal with the inventory aspect of it, they're LEARNING Ebay for the first time.  A friend says Hey, help me out!  So they make a deal and they start listing.  Then they figure out.. HEY I'M GOOD AT THIS!  I CAN MAKE MONEY TOO!  So they start listing on their account too.. and it's a BIG HIT!  Wow they're making money left and right, selling selling selling.  They need an employee!  It's been a year or two since they helped their friend, they've grown too big to help them out, and need an employee to help them GROW.  But NOPE.  Policy states they cannot.  

This policy was horribly thought out.  

I really am pleading here.  The accounts are disconnected.  I need to grow.  

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@outrightawesome wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@outrightawesome wrote:

Trinton, thank you for responding.  I find this policy bogus in my situation, and I plead to you and the team in control to reevaluate it.  PLEASE. 

I realize this is on me for not reading this FAQ first and jumping head first, excitedly, into something I thought would benefit my situation - but you've actually hindered me and my ability to grow.

My facts in my case:

- I have revoked my access just 30 minutes to an hour afterwards, after realizing what I wanted to do (print labels, shipping), I couldn't.  

- It has been 2 or so months now. 

- This is affecting my main account, which I want to grow on by hiring an employee to create drafts for me, and because of this I cannot.  

I am not linked to any account right now!  Why is this so finite?  

This is reading as Once you accept an invitation as Delegatee, you cannot be a Delegator with that account.  EVER.  YOU CANNOT GROW.  YOU'VE SCREWED UP.  

Can you not see how bogus this is?  I'm trying to be civil here but this is costing YOU and me money in the most important part of the year.  Give me a break here.  

Let's start with someone a little less experienced.  They're just starting on ebay, but don't want to deal with the inventory aspect of it, they're LEARNING Ebay for the first time.  A friend says Hey, help me out!  So they make a deal and they start listing.  Then they figure out.. HEY I'M GOOD AT THIS!  I CAN MAKE MONEY TOO!  So they start listing on their account too.. and it's a BIG HIT!  Wow they're making money left and right, selling selling selling.  They need an employee!  It's been a year or two since they helped their friend, they've grown too big to help them out, and need an employee to help them GROW.  But NOPE.  Policy states they cannot.  

This policy was horribly thought out.  

I really am pleading here.  The accounts are disconnected.  I need to grow.  

Hi @outrightawesome, I apologize if there has been a misunderstanding - this is not a policy that we are discussing, but how a feature works. I wanted to make sure this differentiation is clear because this is not a matter of us drawing a line saying "this is allowed' and "this is not allowed", but instead a matter of us describing how a tool works. There simply is no way to assist you in the manner in which you are asking. Though I understand you were excited for this tool and how it could help you grow, you are still welcome to hire employees in the way that many other sellers do, and then make the decision to either allow them to have full access to your account or not. If you are not comfortable providing full access to potential employees, then you can delegate other time consuming tasks (such as packing and shipping items) so you have more time to perform actions that only you could perform with full account access. 

Again, I want to be clear that the Multi-User Account Access tool does not have the functionality you are looking for, and thus we cannot reverse the actions you have taken that prevent one of your accounts from becoming a delegator. This may change in the future as we grow and develop the tool, but at this time it is not possible to give you the ability to designate delegatees on the account that accepted an invitation to be a delegatee.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I appreciate the response.  I find how the feature works unacceptable.   I am calling for this to be changed, and hopefully fast.  

The account has been revoked from access.  Therefor they are not "helping each other".  One is no longer a delatator.  The other is no longer a delagatee.   But because I was linked for 30 or so minutes 2 months ago.. I cannot use this tool.   It's unacceptable.  It's ridiculous.  PLEASE get this on the fast track to change - or at least the ability to APPEAL it on a case by case basis.  

Let me talk to the team leader or whomever.  Let me plead the case for not only me, but anyone else who in the future is going to be screwed by this feature works.   It's preventing growth NOW.  

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@outrightawesome wrote:

I appreciate the response.  I find how the feature works unacceptable.   I am calling for this to be changed, and hopefully fast.  

The account has been revoked from access.  Therefor they are not "helping each other".  One is no longer a delatator.  The other is no longer a delagatee.   But because I was linked for 30 or so minutes 2 months ago.. I cannot use this tool.   It's unacceptable.  It's ridiculous.  PLEASE get this on the fast track to change - or at least the ability to APPEAL it on a case by case basis.  

Let me talk to the team leader or whomever.  Let me plead the case for not only me, but anyone else who in the future is going to be screwed by this feature works.   It's preventing growth NOW.  

Hi @outrightawesome, your situation has been passed along to the team that is developing this tool and the requests you have made are something they are aware of. Though changes may come in the future, there is nothing else that can be done at this time. We understand what enhancements you would like to see and this will be taken into consideration. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I know I'm probably the only person who has experienced this so far, and thus I'm just a small case.   I bet ya if more people were here complaining everyday, Ebay would have fixed this already.  They're usually good like that!

And I know I did this to myself - it's in the title first thing - and you can honestly say I either didn't read the FAQ, or didn't fully understand it since it was brand new.  

But I think once you disconnect the accounts - IE stop working for someone else - Ebay should allow me (or anyone else) to then become a Delegator again.  

The way it's set up is you have Master and Employee accounts once you sign up.  You must choose one forever.   That just isn't right.  Leaves no room for someone with ambition to grow.  

I plead again to reverse this.  I'm no techy, but it seems like just a bunch of code you can erase and/or reset.  

I want to thank the Ecommercebytes website for doing a story about this too.  They've always been an educational read.  It's nice to have someone who's got my back.  

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@outrightawesome wrote:

I know I'm probably the only person who has experienced this so far, and thus I'm just a small case.   I bet ya if more people were here complaining everyday, Ebay would have fixed this already.  They're usually good like that!

And I know I did this to myself - it's in the title first thing - and you can honestly say I either didn't read the FAQ, or didn't fully understand it since it was brand new.  

But I think once you disconnect the accounts - IE stop working for someone else - Ebay should allow me (or anyone else) to then become a Delegator again.  

The way it's set up is you have Master and Employee accounts once you sign up.  You must choose one forever.   That just isn't right.  Leaves no room for someone with ambition to grow.  

I plead again to reverse this.  I'm no techy, but it seems like just a bunch of code you can erase and/or reset.  

I want to thank the Ecommercebytes website for doing a story about this too.  They've always been an educational read.  It's nice to have someone who's got my back.  

Hi @outrightawesome, I apologize if we have not been clear, but we are not able to do what you are asking us to do. There is no way to reverse this - if there was, we would have already done this for you. We have heard your request for enhancements to be made in the future and these may happen, we simply are not able to promise any changes that have not been announced/planned. This is most certainly not a matter of erasing/resetting some code; our tools and features are significantly more complex than that. That is why we are not able to reset your account and reverse the action you have taken. 

We can recommend that a delegatee create a unique account specifically for accepting an invitation from a delegator so they can avoid any issues in the future should they decide to grow their account into it's own business. Again, changes may occur in the future and we have heard your feedback about what you would like to see changed. To reiterate, your request to have your account reset in some way it may function as a delgator account has been heard. This request cannot be fulfilled at this time, so you will need to either create a new account or wait until changes are potentially implemented in the future. You can also consider hiring employees and providing them with access to your account in the way that many other sellers have done in the past before the MUAA feature was added, or looking into third party tools that your employees can utilize to help you run your expanding business.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I completely understand.

I just don't agree with it and call foul.   It sucks!  PLEASE CAUTION ALL USERS OF THIS!  Ebay needs to give BETTER WARNING of this stipulation during the sign up process.  Don't use fancy words about it, don't Apple TOS it, spell it out simply and clearly.   Else other people will be screwed too.  

The solutions you lay out are not good for me.  Therefor, there are no solutions for this.   It sucks.  

This has been a horrible experience for me.  I am trying not to feel singled out here.  But I kinda have done that to myself.  I'm extremely happy with Ebay in general and depend on it greatly for my livelihood, however this experience has been a very negative one.  The way it has been set up.. I say again.. It sucks!   Feedback for how this feature currently works:  Sucky

Hopefully by next year's holiday spending season you will have fixed it for me so we both can make more money.  

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@outrightawesome wrote:

I completely understand.

I just don't agree with it and call foul.   It sucks!  PLEASE CAUTION ALL USERS OF THIS!  Ebay needs to give BETTER WARNING of this stipulation during the sign up process.  Don't use fancy words about it, don't Apple TOS it, spell it out simply and clearly.   Else other people will be screwed too.  

The solutions you lay out are not good for me.  Therefor, there are no solutions for this.   It sucks.  

This has been a horrible experience for me.  I am trying not to feel singled out here.  But I kinda have done that to myself.  I'm extremely happy with Ebay in general and depend on it greatly for my livelihood, however this experience has been a very negative one.  The way it has been set up.. I say again.. It sucks!   Feedback for how this feature currently works:  Sucky

Hopefully by next year's holiday spending season you will have fixed it for me so we both can make more money.  

Hi outrightawesome,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience trying out the early version of Multi-User Account Access and didn't realize the limitations of this release before you tried it out.  When I read your post, I was determined to make it right again for you.  The good news is that I was able to get your main account (outrightawesome) state restored so that you can assign access to other users.  Hopefully, you can now grow your business they way you want to again.

While we have tried our best to emphasize the limitations of this first release of MUAA, I understand how people are eager to dive in and try it out without reading 'the fine print' and it not meeting their expectations.  That's unfortunate, and I assure you brings us no joy at all.  Our intention with this release is to show sellers that we are serious about implementing MUAA, and this is just a taste of what it will be.  In the coming months and quarters, we will be expanding its capabilities and distribution, to include more of Seller Hub features (such as Orders, Shipping, Cases, Cancellations, Returns, Messages, Payments, Marketing, etc...) and expanding it to other countries.  Please bear with us as we implement these additional features as soon as they're ready.

Also, we have strongly recommended that new accounts are created to act as 'employee' accounts, rather than using existing accounts already being used to buy and sell on eBay.  A single such account can support multiple selling accounts, so there is no need to create a separate new account for each seller supported.  This just makes it a lot easier to navigate the different account contexts that MUAA enables, and helps avoid confusion.

I hope this helps!  Please don't hesitate to reach out again on this forum with any other issues you encounter or suggestions you may have for MUAA.  We are eager to get as much feedback as we can from our users to improve the product.

Regards,

--Lester

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

lesdor-38
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@outrightawesome wrote:

Hi outrightawesome,

I'm happy to report that we have fixed your account so that it can be used to be a Delegator again.  (Please see my earlier response posted on this thread.) 

I ask all early adopters of this feature to keep in mind that this first release is just the tip of the iceberg of our planned MUAA implementation and has documented limitations as to its breadth of functionality.  We will continue to MUAA-enable more Seller Hub features in the coming months and throughout 2020, so we appreciate your patience with us as we do so.  

Regards,

--Lester

Message 13 of 13
latest reply