cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving error "Your listing cannot contain javascript (".cookie", "cookie(", "replace(", IFRAME, "

Am typing plain text in my description. After clicking "List It" I get an error message stating that I have to fix the description because "Your listing cannot contain javascript (".cookie", "cookie(", "replace(", IFRAME, META, or includes), cookies or base href."

MY DESCRIPTION IS PLAIN TEXT. I do not mention cookies in the description. I do not have any iframes or javascript.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Receiving error "Your listing cannot contain javascript (".cookie", "cookie(

The only other thing I can think of to try besides that would be to see if someone else is selling the same item on eBay, and keep my description as similar as possible to the other person's. (Since the other person's listing would have already been accepted by eBay, presumably a listing from me set up the same way should also be OK.)
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Re: Receiving error "Your listing cannot contain javascript (".cookie", "cookie(

It was the item title; I had an ampersand there for the multiple game designers. Changing that to "and" fixed the title, and I was able to restore most of the original description. What a relief!
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Glad to hear you were able to figure it out.

It is a shame that eBay cannot provide more useful feedback to pinpoint the individual issue better than "listing cannot contain javascript".

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Maybe the next edition of a reference such as "eBay for Dummies" can have a chapter specifically on troubleshooting error codes on eBay listings?
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@eburtonlab 

@mccfamschool 

Sorry I'm late to the show. This tool will usually find the errors that trigger the error message (".cookie", "cookie(

http://www.isdntek.com/demo/auctiontester.htm

This editing tool also has that feature built into the "scan code" button, and the tool itself may be more useful.

Paste the code and click "scan code"

http://zippypractice.com/

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 20 of 23
latest reply

That error-checking feature has just been moved into the Active Content Sandbox tool as part of the Active Content test of description code. When source code is pasted into the box, the "scan" button will look for those (".cookie types of errors.

Since this tool is already quite popular, it will be easier to locate this tool from a search or from the tools page.

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentSandbox.htm

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 21 of 23
latest reply

@mccfamschool 

I had not previously noticed that you had pasted your code here. I checked it on the tester and see that your problem was the phrase "medieval (2nd Edition)", which contains the banned "eval(" .  It's not a common find. Cookie Monster is usually the most common, and next would be. Location.  You can paste this entire paragraph into the tester to see what is flagged.

You mentioned your title failed. Are you referring to the listing title slot or the title within your description?

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

It was the listing title, which originally contained an ampersand. Replacing the ampersand with the word "and" fixed the problem.
Message 23 of 23
latest reply