cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone noticed how the search engine is acting very funky

I sell an eBay full-time. I've noticed the last few days that the search engine has been acting funky. I sell very specific vintage items and when I'm searching for active and sold listings to comp out for price it does not search correctly. For instance if I type in 1945 military tent it will show military tents of all ages. This is extremely annoying and I'm sure it has to be bothering buyers as well. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Has anyone noticed how the search engine is acting very funky

I've noticed it too, and have complained -- but who knows whether they will do anything to fix it.  It is now TERRIBLE.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

To be clear, eBay needs to fix this. We should not be subjected to garbage results in their pursuit of pushing “suggestions.”  If I have to recreate every search in my saved list, I’m happy to be done with EBay after 25 years. 

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

I'm having the same problem. Simple searches that should bring up 5-20 results bring up 200+ results, almost all irrelevant too. I don't care if there are possible "workarounds", no buyer is going to sit there for hours and look for workarounds, they'll just give up and go somewhere else. I can't believe this is not a pinned "known technical issue" yet!!! I've been on Ebay for 21 years and the search engine is the worst it's ever been.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Yeah it’s annoying this buyer to the max. Just recently I’ve noticed a huge difference in my results when searching. I’m actually going to have a phone call with eBay for the first time ever in 20 years about this. It’s maddening the changes they just made to search. Makes looking for items completely useless. So frustrating 

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Search engine doesn't work right. Search results not relevant to search request at all

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@ohabanero 

Just recently I’ve noticed a huge difference in my results when searching.

What are you searching for and how are you searching?

I have noticed that the "Best Match" sort order seems to be prone to providing more loosely-related results compared to other sorts lately. Perhaps eBay has changed something to make the keyword substitution feature more open when using that sort order. Try another sort order if you are using "Best Match" if none of the other techniques (like using quotes around a keyword) mentioned in this thread help.

The "Price plus shipping: lowest first" often has the opposite problem, showing many fewer results.

As always, use the "Tell us what you think" link on the search results page to let page developers know what you think about an issue with the current state of eBay's search. The more specific examples of an issue are pointed out, the more likely eBay is to act.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply