cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Examples of why search engine is broken. (Sorry for the long post.)

Ok dragging my feet, and decided taxes would be more fun.  The following is information that you have requested @Anonymous  along with being requested for my town hall question.  I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with Firefox and adblocker for these results.  These results in the examples are purely based on the search engine's decisions and are not due to keyword spamming.  There are other examples I can come up with.  I have been taking a break from eBay though so I will have to bring them up as I remember them

Example #1:  256GB mSATA (Price lowest first and BIN only.  Solid State Drives category auto selected by the search engine.)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=256gb+msata&_sacat=0&_sop=15&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

• The cheapest drives are M.2 drives which is a totally different interface than mSATA.  The best guess is item #'s like 333512364415 and 193352373483 show up in the results because the title has 256GB, the letter "M", and "SATA" in it.  The keyword "mSATA" specified in the search does not show up in the listings or item specifics.  There are more examples like those listings that are also incorrect.
  • An egregious example of a false result is 114119461911.  Everything in the listing is correct yet it shows up as a result.  Best guess is the search engine is triggered on 256GB and the letter "M"
  • Filtering by Interface -> mSATA doesn't do anything to help with inaccurate results.

Personally as a buyer I have needed to buy 256GB mSATA drives.  I won't buy them on eBay anymore because I am not confident I can get the best deal.  Also I don't wish to dig through a bunch of unrelated results due to how the search engine functions.

Example #2: Optiplex 320 (Price lowest first and BIN only.  PC Desktops & All-In-Ones category auto selected by the search engine.)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=optiplex+320&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_odkw=256gb+msata&LH_BIN=1&rt=nc

Dell = Brand 

Optiplex = Product Line

320 = Model

Most of these results are not Optiplex  320 (model) desktops.  There are Optiplex 760, 780, 980, 990, 9010 and many other models in the results.  The search engine is getting the "Optiplex" keyword right 100% of the time from what I can tell.  However the search engine has decided anything goes when it comes to the "320" part.  There are ways to filter around this as a savvy buyer such as adding -320GB to the search.  That runs the risk of eliminating good deals though as there could be an Optiplex 320 with a 320GB hard drive in it.  Also adding -320GB only eliminates a chunk of the inaccurate results.  There are still other results that show up due to the ways sellers type in keywords for their titles.  Even if a person wanted to use the "Model" filter in the item specifics they can't since it isn't an option for this model.

Example #3: i5-3570 (Price lowest first and BIN only.  CPUs/Processors category auto selected by the search engine.)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=i5-3570&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_odkw=i5-3450&LH_BIN=1

Unrelated results show up due to how loosely the search engine uses keywords.  Also includes models i5-3570S, i5-3570T, and i5-3570K.  These different processors have different specs hence the different letters on the end.  Also worth noting that in "Best Match" sort some inaccurate results show up higher up the list.  This is how you have to search if you actually want the right model of processor:

i5-3570 -3570s -3570t -3570k

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=i5-3570+-3570s+-3570t+-3570k&_sacat=164&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=15&_osacat=164&_odkw=i3-2120+-2120s+-2120t&LH_BIN=1

Example #4: Lenovo T440 (Price lowest first and BIN only.  PC Laptops & Netbooks category auto selected by the search engine.)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Lenovo+T440&_sacat=0&_sop=15&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

This is a redundant example to go with #3 above.  The T440S and T440P models show up in search due to how loosely the search engine uses keywords.  Same deal as with #3.  Different specs/configs/etc.

Example #5: Gigabyte 1150 Motherboard (Price lowest first and BIN only.  Motherboards category auto selected by the search engine.)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Gigabyte+1150+Motherboard&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

"Gigabyte" keyword is referring to the brand.  "1150" is referring to the socket 1150 (For Intel processors) or more formally known as LGA 1150/Socket H3

• 273830732384 is a HP motherboard.  It is socket 1150 as specified in the search.  It is a motherboard.  It is not a Gigabyte brand motherboard.  Seller has the listing setup correctly.
  • 183729007347 is an interesting anomaly.  "1150" is in the title although it might be an error since I don't believe there is an "AMD XP 1150" model CPU. It is a motherboard.  It is not a Gigabyte brand motherboard.
  • 274167683869 is a Lenovo motherboard that supports an AMD processor.  It is not compatible with socket 1150 Intel processors.  It is a motherboard. It is not a Gigabyte brand motherboard.  I searched for 1150 not SDH1150IAA3DE 
  • There are other examples of boards that don't match the search criteria by brand.

"Gigabyte" is a brand name.  Many of these results are not "Gigabyte" brand motherboards.  There are several results in this search that are beyond ridiculous.  From what I can tell the search engine is deciding that anything with the letters "GB' in the listing is the same thing as the keyword "Gigabyte".  Although GB is the abbreviation for gigabyte, Gigabyte is also a brand name.  Using the item specifics Socket Type -> LGA 1150/Socket H3 combined with Brand -> Gigabyte fixes the results.  A simpler option is to put "Gigabyte" in quotes for the search keywords.  I am not convinced the average buyer is doing this though.  Also I feel I shouldn't have to apply those filters if I am using the right keywords.

Interestingly enough searching for "4 gigabyte" gives 900K results.  Another example of how anything goes when it comes to the search engine.  Not sure why a buyer would type in gigabyte if they wanted "GB" results.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=4+gigabyte&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_odkw=256gb+msata&LH_BIN=1&rt=nc

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Examples of why search engine is broken. (Sorry for the long post.)

This is all no different than any of the search engines when searching the internet for things. Keywords are used, which are 'phrases' (so 2 words or more) and are set for 'broad match' meaning they are not 'exact match'. 

The algorithm used does NOT use 'exact match' for obvious reasons as different sellers may put these words in a different order etc... so results are shown as 'broad match'. 

Therefore, you will get results that vary- eerything 320, everything gb, everything Optimax will show up. 

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

With electronics, model number, and/or part number related stuff I expect an exact match. Unfortunately I can't just grab stuff out of the bin like I do with my fashion habits.
Message 17 of 34
latest reply

I put in the title you suggested and it still comes up 0 items, but shows in fewer word search as before. It seems useless to put more words. Another joke is there a separate category for Graniteware and Enamelware - they are the same thing??? Search Graniteware and Enamelware using Enamelware and Enamel ware and many show up in fewer word search but the same things show up as searched. SORRY, BUT KEY WORDS ARE SOMETIMES A BIG FAT JOKE. The proof is that Ebay will not even give list of suggested key words.
You are saying key I need more key words when key words play little in the search.
Message 18 of 34
latest reply

I'm not showing that you changed the title. The last revision you did to that listing was February 22nd. When you do revise the listing you will need to give it up to 24 hours for it to re-index. If the keyword is not in the searchable fields then you aren't going to find your listing majority of the time. On average I spend 2-4 hours a day doing product research and pricing. I may not know much about the stuff you are selling, but I am confident your donkey cart isn't showing up in very well search due to lack of keywords.

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

The internet simply does not work that way. Keywords are part of all algorithms and an algorithm is nothing more than a 'set of parameters' for a particular search... ie. you put in 'X' and we show you 'Y' etc.; it's like saying you want to play basketball, but you want your ball square and not round. Simply will never exist because it will never work. 

Biggest reason is- who's to say what the 'exact' match is? You will type it in differently that someone else. Use caps? Quotations? A space between 320 gb and no space 320gb.. or is it 320GB or 320 GB- if using 'exact' then you will only get to see 'some' of the items available as sellers will verbalize differently. 

What if you want a part for the OptiPlex 320GB- again, many different ways a seller can verbalize it, so 'broad' match will allow you to see all that is 'close'. 

Message 20 of 34
latest reply

Have had the same issue. Searching for "Rare Antique" the very first result that returned was a "T-Shirt" - listed by a brand new seller no less. Happened several times. Very annoying and find I no longer wish to shop on Ebay...complete waste of time.
Message 21 of 34
latest reply

I searched MARX DONKEY CART and received no results, but MARX DONKEY returned results INCLUDING some with the word CART in the title. MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL. Ebay needs a fix.
Message 22 of 34
latest reply

p.s. I searched MARX CART and none of the Marx donkey cart listings returned as a result!!!
Message 23 of 34
latest reply

@corvettestainless wrote:

The internet simply does not work that way. Keywords are part of all algorithms and an algorithm is nothing more than a 'set of parameters' for a particular search... ie. you put in 'X' and we show you 'Y' etc.; it's like saying you want to play basketball, but you want your ball square and not round. Simply will never exist because it will never work. 

Biggest reason is- who's to say what the 'exact' match is? You will type it in differently that someone else. Use caps? Quotations? A space between 320 gb and no space 320gb.. or is it 320GB or 320 GB- if using 'exact' then you will only get to see 'some' of the items available as sellers will verbalize differently. 

What if you want a part for the OptiPlex 320GB- again, many different ways a seller can verbalize it, so 'broad' match will allow you to see all that is 'close'. 

I'm sorry people don't know how technical stuff works on eBay then.  That is why I stopped buying as much here when sites like Amazon, Newegg, CDW,  Monoprice, and more that give me the results I want when I search for specific things.  If eBay wants to screw with searches involving model numbers and part numbers then the smart people will buy elsewhere.  Like myself and the ~$5000 I spent on parts in 2019 I would have bought on eBay if they had a functional search engine.

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

@pastpossessionsantiques wrote:
I searched MARX DONKEY CART and received no results, but MARX DONKEY returned results INCLUDING some with the word CART in the title. MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL. Ebay needs a fix.

I almost doubted you @pastpossessionsantiques  till I looked closer.  Not sure how I didn't catch that sooner, but that is my bad on my part.  Why is MARX DONKEY CART not pulling results when there are listings that should be indexed with those keywords in the title @Anonymous ?

Examples: 152025141905  383329653798  383231855039  174159624830  372642898083  303494460176  223626590215   (133051289276  Has "Donkeys" in the title instead of donkey.")

293493274572 is a fresh listing that will probably be indexed by the time you see the tag.

Maybe I am just tired, but something is definitely weird with the results of this search.  Tried it on multiple browsers and mobile with the same 0 results.  Also MARX CART doesn't seem to work to find those item numbers.

Marx Donkey Cart:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Marx+Donkey+cart&_sacat=0

Marx Cart:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Marx+cart&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_oac=1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well so this comment is now a mess I don't know how to fix so I will just make it a big jumbled mess.  Half way through typing this I noticed something.  When looking closer at "Results matching fewer words" (On the MARX DONKEY CART search) I noticed none of them contain the word MARX.  They do however contain the word MARKED.  Looks like the system may be replacing the word MARX with MARKED.  To test that I did a search with MARX in quotes.  Lo and behold you get what you are looking for!!!

"Marx" Donkey Cart:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=%22marx%22+donkey+cart&_sacat=0

"Marx" Cart:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=%22Marx%22+cart&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=Marx+cart&_oac=1

This is the problem with trying to build too much intelligence in a search.  If I am looking for a MARX DONKEY CART and am typing those keywords for a search I am not going to find what I want currently. I would wonder how discouraged a buyer would be if that was the only way they would think to search and find nothing.  I honestly don't even know how I was lucky enough to notice what was going on.  Expecting the average buyers to understand advanced search functions is a stretch.  If anything hybridize the search so it searches by keywords as is and then with the "intelligence".  Then design it to pick the method that gives results if one fails.

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

Well you are right about keywords being a joke @8287davidm  I am half asleep right now, so hopefully I didn't make any more errors while digging deeper in your issue. 🤞😴  If you read my messed up comment above this one I think it will shed more light on what is going on.  Off to bed 🐮

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

@Anonymous  Just following up to see if you have any insight on that Marx Donkey Cart search.  Curious if the system is working as intended or if there is some strange glitch.

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

I think everyone here has examples.  I see it more when I list.

I  enter Glass Vase and eBay wants to know if it matches any of the six items shown-four books, a VCR or a car part. Do the ever stop to think why nothing ever matches??

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 28 of 34
latest reply

I have concluded that eBay forces certain results on buyers in searches. It’s like a favoritism thing, but the forced results are not necessarily the highest rated seller or even the best match for what was searched. Often search results seem to be influenced by items a buyer has purchased in the past or even just searched for in the past. It makes it extremely difficult to find an item that is probably out there meeting your exact criteria because eBay thinks it knows what you want more than you.

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

eBay does what it does as marketing strategy. All search results, all “sponsored listings”, all interior ads are designed to manipulate the buyer into buying what eBay wants the buyer to buy. You may think that you have found the exact item you want, but you have no way of knowing whether or not a cheaper version of the exact item in the exact condition you want was left off the search result list in favor of another listing eBay wanted you to find. This is the nature of search results in any search engine. They are not designed to find all applicable information. They are designed to find all related information the search engine creator would like you to find. It is built into the algorithms that certain results are forced onto buyers’ searches. These results are influenced by past purchases, past searches, and current buying trends on eBay. It is up to eBay whether or not you find the item that is a perfect match for which you seek. I mean, why else would over-priced versions of an item be at the top of the results every **bleep** time, no matter for what I am searching? Using the filters typically ends up yielding a bunch of garbage that has me wondering if I am out of my mind searching for the item in that condition, at that price, etc, etc. After enough searches on eBay, I have been able to deduce that the **bleep** search engine is herding my ass where it wants me to go. Consider this: eBay’s search engine uses the same algorithmic processing as Google. Google herds internet searchers where it wants them to go.

Message 30 of 34
latest reply