cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every time you send an Invoice - the site resets the date of date sold

So I had a shirt that sold back on the 26th via offer - each day that goes by that the buyer does not pay we have resent the invoice thinking he just isn't not checking his e-mail. When this happens it is now resetting the date that it sold to today's date instead of the 26th....thus resetting the clock on cancelling due to non payment. This is a HUGE glitch and was never like this before. BEWARE. Called customer service and a dude named Chris said this is normal and always been this way. I have sold for over 20 yrs and sending an invoice has NEVER changed the date the item sold. Called back and spoke with someone else and they are opening a ticket for the glitch.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

@organizedchaosllc 

Keep in mind that in invoice and a payment reminder are two different vehicles.

Staff has confirmed that this is the way the system is supposed to work.

An invoice is typically used for combining shipping, so an invoice restarts the clock for the payment due date.

eBay will send its own  payment reminders to the buyer, if set to do so:

https://www.ebay.com/cnt/ManageBuyerCommunication

A seller can also allow eBay to cancel an unpaid sale after a specified number of days:

https://www.ebay.com/uas/selling-pref

And can exclude specified buyers from that feature.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@organizedchaosllc 

This is a new thing. Maybe 6 months ago it started. 

Call center workers will often say what ever they think you want to hear. 
It’s not a glitch. But when they say they will put in a ticket for the glitch, it gives the caller hope.  

eBay sends an invoice when the listing ends. They also follow up a couple days later with a reminder to pay or risk losing the item. 
With those two reminders from eBay, there is zero reason to send another reminder or invoice. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

the old NPB system was done away with maybe 2 years ago and now its automatic 4 day cancel thru ebay. unless you are opted out like I am

trust me when I say that ebay send buyers plenty of reminders to pay

its just not necessary to send out another invoice

it does reset the clock and it just prolongs a bad feeling of not having been paid

its  the way it is now. buyer and bidders are paying faster than ever now due the the new system which really  is a big improvement with fewer steps .

just cancel after 96 hours, that is the way to do it

@organizedchaosllc 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@organizedchaosllc wrote:

So I had a shirt that sold back on the 26th via offer - each day that goes by that the buyer does not pay we have resent the invoice thinking he just isn't not checking his e-mail. When this happens it is now resetting the date that it sold to today's date instead of the 26th....thus resetting the clock on cancelling due to non payment. This is a HUGE glitch and was never like this before. BEWARE. Called customer service and a dude named Chris said this is normal and always been this way. I have sold for over 20 yrs and sending an invoice has NEVER changed the date the item sold. Called back and spoke with someone else and they are opening a ticket for the glitch.

I understand your frustration with the unexpected glitch you experienced while resending the invoice for a shirt sale. It is concerning that the date of sale was reset to the current date instead of the original date. This issue has not occurred before in your 20 years of selling experience. It's encouraging that you contacted customer service, and they are taking steps to address the problem by opening a ticket. Hopefully, a resolution will be provided soon to ensure a smoother selling process.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

As explained.................  system is working as intended, and a 99.99% chance that no "ticket" was opened.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@bai_996595- Bot chat

Using a chatbot to parrot a phase that wrongly suggests an "unexpected glitch" is disingenuous, when the actual answer is that the system functions as designed. Additionally, contrary to some user expectations, creating a new account to post canned responses on eBay forums does not garner any points when trying to build a selling account.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Same thing happen to me. Sending an invoice has never in the past reset the sold date it just started happening about a week ago. I received the same response when i called Ebay. It makes zero sense. Ebay always encourages you to send an invoice to the customer. I have noticed any issue you bring to Ebay customer service they will agree with everything you say whether it is correct or not.  I don't understand this.

I don't want to bad mouth Ebay. I appreciate the platform so i can sell my items  I just wish they were more honest and up front with things.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@organizedchaosllc @bretwes_6 

There's no reason to send an invoice unless you have to make an adjustment, for example combined shipping costs or adding another shipping method the buyer requested.

eBay sends out payment reminders to buyers automatically. Sending invoices is a duplication of efforts and clogs the buyer's inbox.

Sending an invoice locks in the shipping cost. That could have a big financial impact on someone that uses calculated shipping. The shipping price gets locked in based on the buyer's default location, but if they change the address at checkout to have that item shipped to Mom across the country, that shipping cost can change by leaps and bounds and seller is out the $$.

Finally, sending an invoice resets the clock on when an order can be cancelled for non-payment when sellers handle UPIs manually. The automated system will cancel based on the seller's settings regardless of sending an invoice, but when you use the manual process and an invoice is sent it resets the clock, giving the buyer an additional 4 days before the system will let the seller cancel.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I understand what your saying but Ebay would encourage me to send the buyer who hasn't paid an invoice as a reminder to them. I have sent plenty of invoices from the past up to now. Only in the last week or so did this resetting time frame for payment occur. E-bay has acknowledge this as a glitch and sent to their IT team but then again i have had E-bay customer service team tell me one thing and do the complete opposite so you never know.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I had the same issue.    It's not a big deal, I just wish I knew about the change in policy.  

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Also saw this for the first time.  Chat rep said it was new, and pointed me to the generic unpaid item policy which says nothing about invoices at all.  So glad they are consistent with their messaging.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@bretwes_6 wrote:

I understand what your saying but Ebay would encourage me to send the buyer who hasn't paid an invoice as a reminder to them. I have sent plenty of invoices from the past up to now. Only in the last week or so did this resetting time frame for payment occur. E-bay has acknowledge this as a glitch and sent to their IT team but then again i have had E-bay customer service team tell me one thing and do the complete opposite so you never know.

Yeah, even the page about sending invoices somewhat encourages sellers to send them as 'reminders' for unpaid items which, in my opinion, it shouldn't say that. l think it's carryover text that eBay hasn't updated since the unpaid item process changed.

But now you know that sending invoices isn't necessary as a payment reminder and can create a few issues. Just let eBay send out the payment reminders and take that extra work off your plate. In fact, you can set up automatic cancellation rules so the system will cancel for you and you won't have to worry about it (if this works for your business).

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Same thing happened to me twice.  I got Customer Service and they claimed everything was fine but he said he's never seen it before and I was the only person he saw.  This is stupid...but we have to attempt to collect by sending invoices.  Did you get any reply?  Because today I sent 2 invoices and both reset the said to today 06/11/23.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Then Ebay should stop promoting that the seller to send an invoice, without posting a notification that this will reset the clock if you do.

There's a message plain as day to send an invoice: Buyer hasn't paid yet. We have reminded the buyer to pay. You may wait for the payment or send an invoice again. You can cancel the order for non-payment beginning .....

Message 15 of 15
latest reply