cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eliminate New Auto-Pay Requirement when Submitting Best Offers.

Auto Pay linked to Best Offers is a terrible idea, and the fact that eBay didn't communicate the change is worse for Buyers and Sellers.

It makes combined shipping more complicated for the seller.  If a BUYER wants to buy more than one item of mine, their knowing that combined shipping will be a matter they'll have to bring up with the seller because of the new Auto Pay, they might not bother with buying more from my store. Lost revenue. I recently had to go back-and-forth with a seller on figuring out how to deal with this. They didn't have much experience on issuing refunds, which is fine. We worked it out, but it took time. Some Buyers might not be as patient. And some sellers might not issue refunds on the extra shipping.

This Auto-Pay feature is complicating how Buyers submit an offer. It's a terrible idea. I've been on eBay 17 years, and the previous method of submitting offers worked smoothly: the offer is 1. Rejected; 2. Considered then countered; 3. Accepted, then the Seller and Buyer work out payment and payment scheduling.

Auto-Pay Best Offer submissions also FORCE a buyer to IMMEDIATELY pay for an item, even if a seller doesn't require it. I give my buyers five days to pay. Some sellers give 2-3 days. I've found this PAYMENT WINDOW gives a Buyer less of a sense of urgency, so maybe they'll shop more. Auto-Pay overrides that, so a customer who needs that extra time to pay doesn't have it. Auto-Pay Best Offers are violating are own store payment terms.

We could be losing sales. Losing customers. Ebay is intent on complicating their platform. I don't know why, either. If you and I are losing sales, eBay is losing money.

Message 1 of 111
latest reply
110 REPLIES 110

Re: Eliminate New Auto-Pay Requirement when Submitting Best Offers.

@daisypointer 

This is a very clunky system, no doubt. As auto pay rolls out, one would expect it to be reworked to appease the buyer. It won’t always be like this. eBay will make it more buyer friendly. 
One would expect that somewhere down the road, some form of auto pay will be required for auctions, too. 

Are there other websites that let a buyer wait until Friday to pay?

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 46 of 111
latest reply

I made some offers and did not realise that auto pay would make me pay postage multiple times. Why has ebay chosen to screw people like this.. What a pain. I will be buying less in the future as a result.  Thanks Ebay

Message 47 of 111
latest reply

This idea of auto payment sucks.. I no longer have the option to pay in 4.  I can not delay payment or.choose another payment method.I can no longer combine postage which is the biggest pain of all. 

As a seller I have already seen a downturn in sales. Everything about this decision sucks. I do not appreciate what Ebay has done to screw up my selling and buying on Ebay.  

Message 48 of 111
latest reply

I agree. I stopped selling on ebay when they upped the fees and reporting and made it non profitable for sellers. I am in Australia. Now that international postage is so ridiculously high I only buy when items are something I really want that are not available to buy elsewhere. I use a Visa card that reimburses international selling fees, but I only keep a limited amount in that account. Now if I want to place an offer and it is accepted, the payment is deducted immediately. If its the weekend it can take two days for funds to transfer onto my card. So I am very cautious about placing offers. Its my money, I want to decide where the funds come from. I have 100% feedback rating, I always pay as soon as the funds are in my card. Ebay is driving buyers like me away with their predatory behaviour. The losers are the sellers. Well done ebay, another reason to shop elsewhere.

Message 49 of 111
latest reply

I've never been to the forms before been with eBay a long time 2015 i do not mind the the only down side to auto pay is i cant pick what funds come from where I've just also chatted with a rep on this she didn't know anything about autopay figures so if pay with PayPal or a dif card is a  no go 

Message 50 of 111
latest reply

So there's not a way to disable it?? I didn't even know it existed. I just won like 7 auctions from the same seller and was waiting for it to hit my cart so I could message the seller and ask for combined shipping and it never came. I looked at my Purchases and I did indeed win 7 Pokemon cards with $3.99 shipping each. I had to pay $28 to ship 7 Pokemon cards PLUS the cost of the cards... This is stupid....

Message 51 of 111
latest reply

Edit: Oh excuse me. I won 16 auctions. That's $64 in JUST shipping. For cards that weigh nothing... That's insane.

Yep, just regular auctions. Not best offer. Auctions. With bids

My Purchases what actually were best offer purchases didn't autopay. But my auctions did....

Again... So stupid...

Message 52 of 111
latest reply

Is there a way me as a buyer to even prevent auto pay or is there really no way for me as a buyer to remove auto pay on my end? If there isn't a option how can I prevent auto pay on certain items I submitted a offer, perhaps in a sellers description box that says they have a "Auto Pay" in their item to warn us buyers before we decide on submitting a offer?

Message 53 of 111
latest reply

Autopay is meant to prevent buyers using offers  whom skip out on their end of the bargain from doing so and for those whom shill bid, not intending to pay upon winning an auction. It's infuriating for both the seller and ebay to have these types using their system. It may be clunky and have some issues, but as a seller it's a drastic improvement to know when you make sale, you won't be wasting your time.

Message 54 of 111
latest reply

**bleep**. Nobody does that. 

Message 55 of 111
latest reply

Stupid idea. I sometimes like to make multiple offers to sellers then checkout in one hit using paypal pay in 3 over £30. Can't do that now as have to send payment for individual offers.. 

Guess what?

I don't buy them so seller looses out. 

I've felt for years that ebay has become quite tiresome, expensive for sellers and plain annoying to use. 

Message 56 of 111
latest reply

I have been on eBay for well over 20 years and have 100% positive feedback in over 500 transaction ,  I quit selling when managed payments became a thing .  Now forcing payment method required on buyers is making the juice not worth the squeeze ,  no combining of shipping on multiple offers to the same seller and then the horror stories I am seeing where people have their funds locked up even if sellers do not accept an offer and now it appears payment method required is being used to even bid on items. At least that is what I saw  the other day when I tried to bid on an auction, this is a poor  implementation and I just won't buy from any seller who has the option enabled. 

Message 57 of 111
latest reply

They need to incorporate this across the board - auctions included

Message 58 of 111
latest reply

You can turn off AUTOPAY.  It's a great feature with the exception if the buyer wants to make multiple offers and wants combined shipping. There should be a button or notification telling buyer about autopay and they can pause it if they want to make multiple offers.

Other than this, it's a great feature. For those crying because they wanted to decide which credit card to us for paying, they need to figure it out first and then ONLY have 1 credit card at a time on the site.  Those that want to pay in 4 installments, well , that tells me that buyer is on a budget or has limited income and perhaps they should save money and learn to pay for the full amount at one time.

Next, I want to see an automatic payment once an auction concludes UNLESS the buyer is bidding on the seller's other items.  Then there should be a pause until ALL items have ended and the seller given a chance to combine the listings (if possible), send the invoice and then  the payment is automatically sent.

Sellers deserve their payments immediately once the buyer is done bidding.

Message 59 of 111
latest reply

That especially sucks because no way it cost near that much to send. Seller us probably giggling with glee with the extra cash.

Not fair.

Message 60 of 111
latest reply