cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Description showing invalid certificate?

Is anyone having this issue on their PC, if you look at a description it comes up with invalid certificate. Does anyone know how to fix this??

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Your computer or browser has not updated certificates.  You'll need to google how to force certificates to update for your browser as the process is slightly different for each.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

@superfuncollectibles wrote:

Is anyone having this issue on their PC, if you look at a description it comes up with invalid certificate. Does anyone know how to fix this??

well just posted about this.

guess i am not the only one.

let's see what other say...

letoulousain
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

I'll try that, hope it works. Will post results...

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

Your computer or browser has not updated certificates.  You'll need to google how to force certificates to update for your browser as the process is slightly different for each.

really why would this happen to others and just not the OP.

never had to to force certificates to update even in 20 years.

what do we look for on google?

this started this morning.

listed a few items in the middle of the night and they are fine.

letoulousain
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Had the same issue, seems to be working now though. Looks like it was a problem on eBay's side.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Actually refreshed my Firefox, supposedly supposed to be a fix. My active listings are showing the description (didn't check those before, just solds), and sold listings are still showing this certificate error page. When I googled the error it looks like it has something to do with phishing, but not sure. I wish someone with ebay would say if it's on their site or not so I know if it's something I should keep troubleshooting...

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Also had a buyer message me this morning saying my listings say I don't ship to the US and I don't ship international, so where do I ship...  I look at the ap and it shows shipping correctly. Guess I need to check that on my pc too.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Actually refreshed my Firefox, supposedly supposed to be a fix. My active listings are showing the description (didn't check those before, just solds), and sold listings are still showing this certificate error page. When I googled the error it looks like it has something to do with phishing, but not sure. I wish someone with ebay would say if it's on their site or not so I know if it's something I should keep troubleshooting...

the poster above seems to think it is on ebay's side.

it is working for me as well, for now!!!!!....

i am glad.

i checked "force certificates to update" on the net.

i can tell you there is no way i could have gone through it.

i am no computer genius.

i mean it made no sense.

never had to do such a thing in 20 years.

knocking on wood, hope it is just a temporary glitch.

letoulousain
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Also had a buyer message me this morning saying my listings say I don't ship to the US and I don't ship international, so where do I ship...  I look at the ap and it shows shipping correctly. Guess I need to check that on my pc too.

NOT again...

a few year back had buyers emailing and saying they couldn't bid because i didn't ship to the US.

the US is the only country i ship to.

have your buyers tried to bid?

were they blocked?

check your "blocked buyers bids" log.

letoulousain
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

cert updates are supposed to be transparent and automatic, but Microsoft isn't a whole lot better than eBay with some of this stuff.  Forcing certs to update isn't easy even for an old tired geek like me but it can be done.

Sometimes it's as simple as closing the browsers, clearing the caches and then rebooting.  Other times you have to find the offending cert and remove it before the new one will get loaded.  Very frustrating.

And sometimes it is the site owner (eBay in this case) that fails to get a cert updated in time or a cached version of the out-dated cert is being sent out instead of the new one.  

Bottom line: It's a long session of "rubber hose interogation" to figure some of this out.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

You should proabably start a separate thread about this and ping the blues.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

cert updates are supposed to be transparent and automatic, but Microsoft isn't a whole lot better than eBay with some of this stuff.  Forcing certs to update isn't easy even for an old tired geek like me but it can be done.

Sometimes it's as simple as closing the browsers, clearing the caches and then rebooting.  Other times you have to find the offending cert and remove it before the new one will get loaded.  Very frustrating.

And sometimes it is the site owner (eBay in this case) that fails to get a cert updated in time or a cached version of the out-dated cert is being sent out instead of the new one.  

Bottom line: It's a long session of "rubber hose interogation" to figure some of this out.

well glad there was nothing to it this time.

glad it didn't last that long as well.

just listed another item and it is fine.

closing my browser, cleaning my cache and others, restarting my laptop?

all that i can do easy...

that is often what i do when there is an issue.

seems to fix a lot of problems.

but when i checked "forcing certificates to update" i was like NO way.

i also freaked out when it happened.

my laptop is 6 years old and expect it 1 day not to work properly.

like my 3 years old windows cell phone.

didn't support ebay, paypal any longer.

was pretty much worthless when surfing the net.

could make calls but finally got another.

thanks for your help...

letoulousain
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

I checked on my PC and it shows shipping correctly. I asked the person what it is showing on their end with no response. It could be the "exclusions" listed, since it's going Fedex I exclude PO Boxes, and a few others. Guess if she responds I'll know. So far 1 person, it may just be they are in my excludes. I'm going to wait on that to see if I need to contact ebay.

As for the certificate thing, I tried IE and I'm getting a block on there also, and chrome has error. So not just Firefox and it looks like active descriptions are ok, so guess I'll wait to see what happens...

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

It seems to be a Firefox issue affecting sold items.

I hope it doesn't spread.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply