cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comments and Seller Names Don't Post in Feedback

velvet@ebay 

Hello, Velvet.

I've been waiting to see if this issue cleared up by itself.  It hasn't.  And I don't find any other reports of it on the boards.  I bought two items on May 4.

One item arrived and I left the seller a feedback.  He hasn't left me one yet.

The other item has not arrived, but the seller has already left me a feedback.

Both feedbacks posted and were counted toward the total number, but the comments did not post nor did the seller's user names.  Instead, it just shows dashes and asterisks in the fields.

I've cited the sellers' usernames but this does not violate the Rules of Engagement because the reason I did so is not "for the purpose of shaming" but rather only for identification of a commonality, and especially I'm hopeful it will assist troubleshooters to correct the bug.

gosimus_0-1652032762158.jpeg

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Comments and Seller Names Don't Post in Feedback

@gosimus,

I have seen this happen before, and eBay Community staff have confirmed that this is done for (at least some) items that are over-the-counter medications. That wasn't from anyone who is currently still on the Community team, but it was officially confirmed.

This isn't a bug, it is intentional. Some kind of privacy issue, although I can't explain the logic behind it (because I don't get it, myself). I'm not sure if all over-the-counter medications have this sort-of blank feedback, or if there are any other types of items that get this treatment. But I'm not aware of any other categories that are treated like this.

You can, actually, see what the feedback comments were on your main profile page here:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/gosimus

but they are only shown there as long as they are within the last 5 feedbacks you have received. They were very positive comments, BTW.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@gosimus,

I have seen this happen before, and eBay Community staff have confirmed that this is done for (at least some) items that are over-the-counter medications. That wasn't from anyone who is currently still on the Community team, but it was officially confirmed.

This isn't a bug, it is intentional. Some kind of privacy issue, although I can't explain the logic behind it (because I don't get it, myself). I'm not sure if all over-the-counter medications have this sort-of blank feedback, or if there are any other types of items that get this treatment. But I'm not aware of any other categories that are treated like this.

You can, actually, see what the feedback comments were on your main profile page here:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/gosimus

but they are only shown there as long as they are within the last 5 feedbacks you have received. They were very positive comments, BTW.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@lacemaker3 

< I'm not sure if all over-the-counter medications have this sort-of blank feedback >    

Thank you very much for that.  It's a relief – well, sort of – to learn that it isn't caused by a bug. 

Maybe it has to be a certain type of OTC med.  This is a first for me, and in fact I've never seen it on anybody else's feedback.  I've bought a lot of other OTCs on eBay:  Areds 2, Zinc supplement, Vitamin D3, and Glucosamine, just to name some off the top of my head, and none of them ever got anonymized. 

Well, would you look at that.  The other seller I bought Aleve from left me a feedback just in the last couple of hours, and it received the same treatment.  Heaven forbid that anyone should know that I bought an analgesic... the horror. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@gosimus wrote:

velvet@ebay 

Hello, Velvet.

I've been waiting to see if this issue cleared up by itself.  It hasn't.  And I don't find any other reports of it on the boards.  I bought two items on May 4.

One item arrived and I left the seller a feedback.  He hasn't left me one yet.

The other item has not arrived, but the seller has already left me a feedback.

Both feedbacks posted and were counted toward the total number, but the comments did not post nor did the seller's user names.  Instead, it just shows dashes and asterisks in the fields.

I've cited the sellers' usernames but this does not violate the Rules of Engagement because the reason I did so is not "for the purpose of shaming" but rather only for identification of a commonality, and especially I'm hopeful it will assist troubleshooters to correct the bug.

gosimus_0-1652032762158.jpeg

Hi @gosimus! It looks like @lacemaker3 already got you answered and they're right. I believe it has to do with HIPAA regulations. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 4 of 4
latest reply